Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Delta point red dot sight

ViktorCistic

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the pictures. Thoughts on reticle as compared to other popular offerings (STS/Doctor/etc)? The Doctor is still probably the cleanest dot out of any of the sights that I have looked through (though admittedly I haven't seen a STS yet).

I had no idea they were that much smaller than the other sites! They packed a huge screen into a very small space.

Sorry about my previous post as I'm new to the site and hadn't read everything previously posted. :(

Anyone tried one - or any dot sight - milled into the slide. I'm interested on one on a .45 for just general shooting and that method looks a lot cleaner and less obtrusive than one mounted on a frame mount?? Long ago, when I was an active USPSA shooter, I used a Tasco on a McCormick super and like the advantages of a dot sight.

Edited by Steve RA

How does the lens size compare with a regular C-more?

I have a Delta on a Glock open gun and the glass is wider and no quite at tall as a C-More, by eye the lens is the same size as the regular C-More. On the Delta point the triangle is very bright and red I really can't tell any difference between a dot and the triangle when shooting fast. If you are just looking and talking about dots and triangles there is a difference when the buzzer goes they are the same. I have both the STS and the Delta point and there is no way the STS is as nice and usable as the Delta point. The only good thing I have to say about the STS is the battery door, the Delta point has the battery under it so the sight has to come off the mount for battery replacement. I love the Delta point and think it is just as good of a sight picture as the regular C-more and sits much lower to the muzzle of the gun. I really think through time the Delta point will cut into the following of the C-More and kill the STS.

Barry Ruane mounted the Deltapoint (on the slide) for me with a custom mount (on a previously milled flat slide surface none of the stock mounts will work) on Thursday (26 Aug) and I shot Area 8 with it on Sat (28 Aug) and triangle was easily visible.

Always used an Aimpoint Comp SM (7min) dot so switch to triangle was very distracting - use it a while before shooting a big match!! The triangle is "busy" with all the points and shape that you don't see with a dot.

No verdict yet on if it will hold up to constant beating from major 9mm even with soft shooting Jim Hand comp (EGW). No battery change yet.

I just received the Delta point as a replacement for a Fire Point / J Point on an open pistol that has a milled slide for the Arredondo double battery package and mount machined in to the slide. My initial impressions are that the Delta point glass is very clear, electronics are very bright and the lens size is much larger. I hope to be able to BZO Friday and shoot a match on Sat.

Out.

2011BLDR

I got to check this out on a sunny california day, and the dot was plenty bright for me. The intensity is self regulating so i am curious what you get on an overcast day.

The glass is flawless and the odd shape gave me the impression that it was bigger than it really was.

The body is made of magnesium if anyone cares, i am liking this version of the mini scopes a lot.

Guys please let us know if it holds up on a major gun.

I have just purchased on today (8-31-10) and will be trying it Sat. then Mo. Fall Clasic. Am bolting it directly to my machined do slide. Was going to get a Burris but saw one and no way will I ever find the dot at a IPSC Match. Not big enough or bright enough.

Will post how it works next week as the leopold is about $125.00 more than a STS scope.

I checked out 2011BLDR's Delta Point this weekend at a match and was stunned at how clear the lens on this was. :surprise: The oval/oblong shape of the lens was also nice as you get a little more periferal vision through the lens where the frame of the scope usually is.

Neal in AZ

My initial impressions on the Delta point were right the glass is very clear, electronics are very bright and the lens size is much larger. It works well for me.

Out,

2011BLDR

• 4 months later...

Really like the Deltapoint. Update from my earlier post in Sept.

I shot the Open Nationals and never had any problem finding the "delta". Brightness was always easily visible in dark house and bright Vegas sun, response to light changes is faster than I can see. Its 2011 now (+5 mo of use) and the battery is still going fine, although will change it before March season opening matches.

+++'s notes: the "Delta" is actually pretty neat once you get used to looking at it. I sight the tip of the Delta at 50yds and it gives me a really fine aiming point at long range - as it is closer to the bore (than Cmore and Aimpoint) the difference (aim vs hit) at 7 yds is negligible. As I have a bad habit of "canting" around barricades and walls if close to them - having the Delta slide mounted, it shoots more like iron sights and I don't have a dot on target and then shoot the wall....(dot vs bore u know what I mean).

The only drawbacks are: that none of the mounts will fit on a scalloped slide (rear), I got one made by Barry Ruane and it's great.

The other seems a design problem by Leupold, the adjustment screws are a torx type head on very small screws - you can't tell when they are moving and where (like with a slot) and they are very easy to strip the heads. Leupold was really good about telling me to send it back after the Nationals and they would check the adj screws and replace if needed - however - it's working so I never sent it back. (I'll talk to Dave Olhasso next time I see him and see what's the current thought on the screws).

So far a big thumbs up on the advantages of the Deltapoint. A full 2011 season on my 9 major open slide will tell how tough this rascal is vs all the other micro dots. L-1158