Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 spring noise: Do you grease the spring?

elenius

I have been reading about lubing or greasing the spring to reduce the "sproing" noise (which sort of irritates me). Is this a good thing to do? Would slide glide work? Or will any grease transfer to the bolt carrier and gum up the works?

Derrick Martin (Guru of Accuracy Speaks) says GI:"Grease Rifle".

My substitute has been (white lithium) Lubriplate for 10 years.

Mush a BIG dollip on the spring or use a 12 gauge bore mop and swab

the stuff in the buffer tube directly.

I don't play the adjustable gas system game, but if you do a little more gas may

be required.

Kids, do yourself a BIG favor and buy the book "The Competitive AR 15" (the mouse that roared)

Read and re-read Derrick's section, pages 105 thru 122 you will be all the wiser for it.

Patrick

Derrick Martin (Guru of Accuracy Speaks) says GI:"Grease Rifle".

My substitute has been (white lithium) Lubriplate for 10 years.

Mush a BIG dollip on the spring or use a 12 gauge bore mop and swab

the stuff in the buffer tube directly.

I don't play the adjustable gas system game, but if you do a little more gas may

be required.

Kids, do yourself a BIG favor and buy the book "The Competitive AR 15" (the mouse that roared)

Read and re-read Derrick's section, pages 105 thru 122 you will be all the wiser for it.

Patrick

I took an AR class at Trinidad State Junior College in Colorado several years back. Derrick was the instructor/chief beer drinker. Great class! I bought his book, loaned it out and promptly forgot who I loaned it to. Going to have to buy a second copy. Lots of good info.

Cheers,

Pat

You just need a louder comp! :D

Hehe, it's plenty loud (JP cooley comp), just not straight behind it. Last time I was at the public range, the range office came up to me and commented on how loud it was (with a smile on his face) :)

Is Lithium grease similar to slide glide?

It's what is used in small grease guns like for lawnmowers and stuff. It is kind of olive oil colored slide glide, though not quite as viscous. 2.00 for 5yr supply.

Although some extension tubes are rough internally, most are very smooth. The noise results from the surface texture of the spring, even when the ID of the tube is baby smooth. Hold the spring on your pointer fingers like a Chinese finger trap and let it slowly roll against a scotch-brite wheel (on a table-mounted grinder). Polish that puppy until it's shiny and smooth, being careful not to flatten it. You have to control its roll as you go. Make a couple passes and also break the edges on both ends of the coil. Some good grease on top of that and you'll stop mid-stage to make sure you're rifle is still cycling because it's so quiet.

Although some extension tubes are rough internally, most are very smooth. The noise results from the surface texture of the spring, even when the ID of the tube is baby smooth. Hold the spring on your pointer fingers like a Chinese finger trap and let it slowly roll against a scotch-brite wheel (on a table-mounted grinder). Polish that puppy until it's shiny and smooth, being careful not to flatten it. You have to control its roll as you go. Make a couple passes and also break the edges on both ends of the coil. Some good grease on top of that and you'll stop mid-stage to make sure you're rifle is still cycling because it's so quiet.

Photos of this process would be GREATLY appreciated! Got any pics?

Kyle

I guess this is why JP sells a polished spring?

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS-OSR

Why "extra power", I wonder?

EXACTLY and you should buy one. They work great... super quiet. Extra power absorbs more of the recoil impulse. The rifle cycles faster and feels softer with less slamming effect in the buffer tube, especially with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas.

I tried Slide Glide on the buffer spring. Gave the gun fits and it never ran right - feeding problems. Granted, something else may have been marginal, but cleaned the grease out and problem solved; reliable gun with a variety of ammo for 5 years since then.

I will note that the noise has been reduced substantially with use. Smoothed itself out, I guess.

Lee

Tried it with the lightest viscosity slide glide liberally applied to the spring today. Much less sproingy but not perfect, so now I put quite a bit inside the tube too. Will see how that turns out next time I get out to the range.

Makes sense that it will reduce over time, with the spring and buffer smoothing out with use :)

Edited by elenius