Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 spring noise: Do you grease the spring?

elenius

I don't believe I've ever heard the spring during a competition. In fact, I don't know if I've ever heard my gun fire during competition (rifle or pistol). There are (usually) holes in the targets so it must be working! Also, the RO's warn about the blast from my compensator, so it has to be working...

The best way to explain the difference in recoil impulse is that the 18" feels like my 20". As the barrel gets shorter and the gun gets lighter the recoil impulse can get harsher. A big part of tuning an AR is obviously the compensator. As Patrick Kelley pointed out in his Front Site article a comp can make a big difference in recoil and gun movement.

A much harder component to test is the "feel". This is the reciprocating mass part of the recoil. JP has several lighter mass components available like the buffer and the bolt carrier that changes this "feel". I prefer a full mass carrier and have been experimenting with different recoil springs and buffers. Just like in a pistol the recoil spring helps control the reciprocating mass speed. The new JP spring is flat wound, well polished so it is quiet and has a different "feel" to it than the other couple of springs I have used.

I can't tell you what combination of different mass components are the best. The best combination is what "feels" good to you. I have the luxury of a couple of identical guns where I can test individual components. What I can say is that there is a combination of components that will make your AR "feel" good to you. My new 18" now feels as mild as my 20" but has great cycle speed and reliability.

I used to use oil but got tired of ruining shirts due to the oil shooting out of the vent hole on a standard a2 stock.I use a spray teflon and I don't hear it at all.

I think the more you shoot it the more it gets smoothed out and gets quieter. My buffer tube has been through 2 barrels and is really quiet.

Scott

The best way to explain the difference in recoil impulse is that the 18" feels like my 20". As the barrel gets shorter and the gun gets lighter the recoil impulse can get harsher. A big part of tuning an AR is obviously the compensator. As Patrick Kelley pointed out in his Front Site article a comp can make a big difference in recoil and gun movement.

A much harder component to test is the "feel". This is the reciprocating mass part of the recoil. JP has several lighter mass components available like the buffer and the bolt carrier that changes this "feel". I prefer a full mass carrier and have been experimenting with different recoil springs and buffers. Just like in a pistol the recoil spring helps control the reciprocating mass speed. The new JP spring is flat wound, well polished so it is quiet and has a different "feel" to it than the other couple of springs I have used.

I can't tell you what combination of different mass components are the best. The best combination is what "feels" good to you. I have the luxury of a couple of identical guns where I can test individual components. What I can say is that there is a combination of components that will make your AR "feel" good to you. My new 18" now feels as mild as my 20" but has great cycle speed and reliability.

Hmm, yeah. I'm a bit surprised that JP created a component (extra heavy spring) that *slows down* the recoil impulse, when their other parts (lighter carrier and buffer) *speed it up*. I have their 16" barrel and light buffer and carrier, standard spring. I don't feel any reciprocating mass at all. Recoil is very very fast, although I can see the sights moving slightly to the left, then slightly to the right, then coming back to the point of aim, when I shoot it. I don't have any other ARs to compare with.

Hmm, yeah. I'm a bit surprised that JP created a component (extra heavy spring) that *slows down* the recoil impulse, when their other parts (lighter carrier and buffer) *speed it up*. I have their 16" barrel and light buffer and carrier, standard spring. I don't feel any reciprocating mass at all. Recoil is very very fast, although I can see the sights moving slightly to the left, then slightly to the right, then coming back to the point of aim, when I shoot it. I don't have any other ARs to compare with.

It's not "heavier", it is "extra power". Not the same thing. JP knows a bit about this stuff. It's like $12. It cushions the buffer. Feels smoother to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this is why JP sells a polished spring?

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS-OSR

Why "extra power", I wonder?

EXACTLY and you should buy one. They work great... super quiet. Extra power absorbs more of the recoil impulse. The rifle cycles faster and feels softer with less slamming effect in the buffer tube, especially with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas.

I agree, get the JP spring, it's silent.