Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossing over

John Z Sr

Recently I've been able to have a few IDPA shooters cross over and try some USPSA shooting. These are the more open minded shooters from the IDPA crowd and they had some fun. On average, most said that the sport was a little more difficult as to they had to figure out what to do with the stage by themselves. All in all, they enjoyed it and spent a good day on the range with new shooting friends. Put the IDPA vs. USPSA thing aside and come out and try it, you just might have some fun

Absolutely!!! We have a group that does this every month, well but the other way. Trigger time is trigger time and I try to get all I can. Just go in with a open mind, remember they are two different games with different ways to play, you don't play checkers with chess rules.

i personally love USPSA, but IDPA is somewhat intriguing in a weird way. I'd like to try it once or twice just to see how it is. I probably would just my carry Glock and see what happens. :)

I shoot both and LOVE both.... good trigger time in each. I've been doing it for awhile now and it takes very little to "reset" my brain to one or the other now. I do use green fiber optic sights on my iron sight guns now to seperate irons from my red Cmore on my open gun now in my brain, if not I just see red on the target and squeeze LOL.... it works for me :)

Edited by CDPMatt

We had a bunch of USPSA shooters at our local IDPA match yesterday. They came from Montana to the All Glock USPSA match in our area, and wanted to warm up on Saturday. Most of them came prepared to shoot our carbine side match too.

We had 8 great stages, perfect weather and no issues at all. Great bunch of guys.

It is the same when I shoot the local USPSA matches with my carry gear. No issues.

Prejudice in any form is dumb dumb dumb.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

I find the challenge of the various shooting sports to be enjoyable. I have participated in CAS, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 Gun competitions. Each had challenges that led me to enjoy them, and be willing to participate again. I intend to try my hand at ICORE and some other matches (rifle, carbine, and other I can't remember at this moment), just to see what challenges that they hold. The core shooting sport competitions for me are USPSA and IDPA.

I think that people would benefit from trying as many of the shooting sports as they can. It may be that trying other shooting sports leads them to appreciate certain ones more than others, or lead them to add another type of competition to their calendar. Sometimes you have to try a few new things to find what works for you the best.

Put the IDPA vs. USPSA thing aside

Especially in this thread. "IDPA vs. USPSA" is a topic that will get this thread closed fast.

Duane,

It's responses like yours and many other reasons, that after today's IDPA match, my membership which expires next month, will not be renewed, it's a game, lighten up dude

Especially in this thread. "IDPA vs. USPSA" is a topic that will get this thread closed fast.

Duane,

It's responses like yours and many other reasons, that after today's IDPA match, my membership which expires next month, will not be renewed, it's a game, lighten up dude

John,

you do realize that response doesn't come from any prejudice toward either IDPA or USPSA from Duane, right? That it's a direct reminder of Brian's rules for conduct on his forum. I lobbied for the creation of this particular sub-forum back in 2001. We -- as a group of moderators/administrators -- have come close to dumping it a couple of times as being more trouble to police than contribution to the forum community as a whole.

That contentiousness is almost always directly related to the debate of IDPA vs. USPSA -- which Duane was reminding everyone is a forbidden topic around here.

We're happy to have a thread about crossing over, just reminding folks where the lane markers are.....

Duane,

John,

you do realize that response doesn't come from any prejudice toward either IDPA or USPSA from Duane, right? That it's a direct reminder of Brian's rules for conduct on his forum. I lobbied for the creation of this particular sub-forum back in 2001. We -- as a group of moderators/administrators -- have come close to dumping it a couple of times as being more trouble to police than contribution to the forum community as a whole.

That contentiousness is almost always directly related to the debate of IDPA vs. USPSA -- which Duane was reminding everyone is a forbidden topic around here.

We're happy to have a thread about crossing over, just reminding folks where the lane markers are.....

Thank you sir, you are "a voice of reason" best to you in ANY game you shoot

I like them both. The shooting is usually easier in IDPA but there is more room for a mental error to screw up your score. USPSA generally has some harder shots, but usually shootem as you see'em.

I like both of them. You're right trigger time is trigger time and always fun. Anytime I can be with friends doing what we like (shooting) and talking what we like (guns and gears), makes a FUN and ENJOYABLE part of the week.

I enjoy shooting both. It's easier to go from IDPA to USPSA because there are no cover and target priority rules to learn. USPSA has forced me to be more accurate in shot placement for 2 reasons; a mike in USPSA hurts, I see more targets with hard cover and I'm still having problems with it. Don't forget to shoot steel matches if you have them at your club.

I shoot both and like both. The difference is pretty minimal and petty if you ask me. USPSA = freestyle solutions to longer stages (more targets)and more divisions to play in. IDPA = shorter stages to be shot within the boundaries of the rule book. One has many years of inventive stage design and membership behind it and the other is building its volume of members and inventive stages to shoot. USPSA speed rules the day in getting as many accurate points in as short a time as possible and in IDPA you are trying to leave as many points on the target as possible in as short a time as possible.

Most folks I know shoot both and like both. Freestyle solutions can be fun, as well as playing within the boundaries (and pushing them for all the gamers out there) in IDPA.

I shoot both and like both. The difference is pretty minimal and petty if you ask me. USPSA = freestyle solutions to longer stages (more targets)and more divisions to play in. IDPA = shorter stages to be shot within the boundaries of the rule book. One has many years of inventive stage design and membership behind it and the other is building its volume of members and inventive stages to shoot. USPSA speed rules the day in getting as many accurate points in as short a time as possible and in IDPA you are trying to leave as many points on the target as possible in as short a time as possible.

Most folks I know shoot both and like both. Freestyle solutions can be fun, as well as playing within the boundaries (and pushing them for all the gamers out there) in IDPA.

Well put my friend

John, I'm still planning on trying a USPSA match sometime, but you know the number of IDPA matches available in our area(I could possibly make 5 a month), and with shooting an occasional ICORE at Dean's, one more match is almost too much.

Joe

just started shooting it.. i enjoy shooting it now, its still trigger time and the emphasis on accuracy is BRUTAL.... :cheers:

ICORE is even harsher. A B is 1 sec, a C is 2, and a miss is 5.

ICORE is borderline on masochism, but it's a lot of fun as well. As far as crossing over from IDPA to USPSA and back, right up until this year I was pretty much a dedicated IDPA shooter. I also shot a lot of Steel Challenge type matches, but I had not really dabbled in USPSA other than 2 club matches. I shot a USPSA Major this year (the Indiana Revolver/Single Stack/Production Match) and I have to say that it was an eye opening experience. I shoot a revolver, so transitioning from IDPA to USPSA was actually a pretty intense if for no other reason than for the first time I had to really think about when and where to reload.

That doesn't mean that one is "better" or "worse" than the other - what it means is that IDPA and USPSA have different rules, and if you start in IDPA and go to USPSA you cannot expect everything to be the same. Ultimately though, the fundamentals of shooting are the same - it's all sight picture and trigger control!

just started shooting it.. i enjoy shooting it now, its still trigger time and the emphasis on accuracy is BRUTAL.... :cheers:

ICORE is even harsher. A B is 1 sec, a C is 2, and a miss is 5.

Time to buy a 610 or 625.. :lol: