Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miraculous Drain Opener Recipe

I've limping along with a partially clogged kitchen sink for too long. A bit of googling turned up the following.

Into the drain, pour 1/2 cup of Baking Soda, then 1/2 cup of Vinegar, then quickly cover the drain with a kitchen plate. Wait a few minutes, then pour in a big pan of boiling water.

So I tried it. Shortly after pouring in the water, I'm standing there looking at a sink full of water and thinking, great, now instead of a cleared drain I've got a sink full of hot water. Then about 20 seconds later, it went glug, glug, glug, and all the water shot down the drain like it was on its way to a fire!

The above recipe is for drains plugged primarily with grease/fatty acids.

I didn't try this one... An alternative method for drains clooged with food/stuff.

Pour 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Follow with 6 cups boiling water. Let sit overnight and then flush with water. The hot water should help dissolve the clog and the baking soda and salt serve as an abrasive to break through the clog.

be

I used to play with that mix in high school. I used the "run away" technique...unlike

:D

Bizzare. In Mac/Safari 3.2.1, just after that video starts to play, Safari bombed (twice). The browser window just disappears, and you don't get the usual "Safari has quit unexpectedly, would you like to report ?..." dialogue box. (Worked fine in Firefox.)

be

Anyone got a good recipe to make my garbage disposal not stink so bad?

Hot soapy water. Fill the sink up, then pull the plug while running the disposal. Should help quite a bit. They also sell capsules to put in and turn on. Run a cut up Lemon through it.. Ive heard of that one also.

Well Chris might I suggest a tooth brush?! :sight:

I used to have a sink that would stink when we turned on the dishwasher. I found out years later that the water heater was the cause...anode or cathode deterioration was producing hydrogen gas...Hydrogen sulfide gas is bad ju-ju.

otherwise shove a lemon in there.

<drift on> Anyone want to fund my dishwasher/garbage disposal "all-in-one" development costs? I'm thinking about an internal media blaster for that old hard cheese crust on plates, too. :ph34r: </drift>

I agree with the lemon-slices-down-the-disposal method. Sweetens it right up.

You don't need to waste whole lemons or lemon slices either -- if you're using lemons or oranges or limes in drinks already, then just toss the leftover rind/pulp/juice down the disposal....

Another method guaranteed to clear out pvc plumbing pipes, is to pour 0.5lb of Vihtavouri 3N37 down the plug hole followed by a match.

Then about 20 seconds later switch the faucets on and the water will shoot down the drain like it was on its way to a fire... which it actually will be.devil.gif

Anyone got a good recipe to make my garbage disposal not stink so bad?

When does it stink? All the time or when starting the dishwasher?

Only when I breath! :rolleyes:

(Sorry Joel, I couldn't resist!)

Chris,

Could that be your breath rolling back in your face? :sick:

Couldn't resist either.

CYa,

Pat

Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water works well at cleaning grease out of the drain. :)

I'd go w/ a bore snake and some Hoppe's #9

Y'all are hopeless!

I don't know how you are gonna manage to blow anything up doing it like that!!! laugh.gif

Well I WAS going to suggest a small chunk of pure sodium down the drain...guaranteed to clear all possible clogs, your house and maybe your neighborhood...but it is tough to get in purest form so I left it out.

Please do not try. :ph34r:

The mixture results in carbonic acid for a short while (from the initial acid-base reaction). That's what breaks up the clog. Then it breaks down to carbon dioxide (the gas bubbles) and water (from the secondary decomposition reaction). Then, the hot water flushes the loosened greases out of the pipe.

Well I WAS going to suggest a small chunk of pure sodium down the drain...guaranteed to clear all possible clogs, your house and maybe your neighborhood...but it is tough to get in purest form so I left it out.

Please do not try. :ph34r:

Yes, please don't. In fact please don't play with any of the Alkali metals in pure form outside the lab. They all have violent oxidization reactions.