Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New barrel install...gun doesn't work at all anymore

waktasz

My new barrel for my open just came in the mail. Now I'm thinking do I really want to do this. Wow if the new one is the one on the left that is just messed up. Most 6" guns are running bushing barrels and not bulls these days, its a weight thing, Benny puts them on a diet and trims all the fat off of them.

Get a Redding Grx and forget about the buldge, just shoot the snot out of it.

I don't think this amount of bulge is safe.

Funny thing is when I got this gun I wasn't reloading yet and shooting factory ammo. I wasn't picking up brass so I never noticed until I starting loading. It ran everything and never hiccuped but these cases scare the crap out of me.

bi3435.jpg

uote name='waktasz' date='03 April 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1270349218' post='1186381']

My new barrel for my open just came in the mail. Now I'm thinking do I really want to do this. Wow if the new one is the one on the left that is just messed up. Most 6" guns are running bushing barrels and not bulls these days, its a weight thing, Benny puts them on a diet and trims all the fat off of them.

Funny thing is when I got this gun I wasn't reloading yet and shooting factory ammo. I wasn't picking up brass so I never noticed until I starting loading. It ran everything and never hiccuped but these cases scare the crap out of me.

bi3435.jpg

Now that is some ugly brass. I'm with you on this one. I have had cases split in the 40 and I've blown the tops off, no damage but it didn't do much for my scores.

Edited by Flexmoney
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104826

quote name='waktasz' date='03 April 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1270349218' post='1186381']

bi3435.jpg

Wow! That makes "Glocked" brass look good! Sorry, I'm no help on how to fix the problem, but everything I've ever heard about Benny H's work, is that he's the best. I say send it to him.

:(

What does a new, unfitted barrel look like?

It really depends since they're not all the same. I don't think that barrel has had the ramp milled shorter, I think it simply started out not going back as far as the original barrel did. If you take a new STI barrel and compare it to say a KKM or Schuemann, the STI ramp doesn't extend back nearly as far, which is probably why they've had some issues in .40 Trojans. Matt McLearn was the one that told me to compare ramps and once you put them next to each other, it's pretty obvious. I've never held a SL 1911 that I can recall, so I have no idea if that ramp is typical of how they make them, but it would be pretty involved to cut it short, then redo the profile etc....and I can't imagine why anybody would actually do that. R,

If you go to Storm Lake's site and build a barrel, then click on the "View in 3D" button, the ramp looks like your original barrel (without the crazy throating), extending back so it's about even with—or a little past—the hood, unlike your "new" barrel. http://www.stormlakebarrel.com/barrels

Both barrels are trashed. The "'smith" that did the SL barrel owes you a barrel and shipping charges. If he's uncooperative, I hope you put it on your credit card so that you can take it up with them.

IMO guns should feed factory ammo (even if, like Open guns, they won't [quite] run on it). My Benny Hill Fat Free .40 digests everything it's fed.

You live in PA and that is where EGW is located. Call them. It is an easy thing to do and get it done right. There are others that can do a great job also. As Gman mentioned, McLearn does a great job. He is very easy to deal with, even if he was Canadian. :-)

You live in PA and that is where EGW is located. Call them. It is an easy thing to do and get it done right. There are others that can do a great job also. As Gman mentioned, McLearn does a great job. He is very easy to deal with, even if he was Canadian. :-)

Guess who did that barrel?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is the reason I learned how to do this stuff myself. I've gotten to the point that there are maybe three people I would even try to have fit a barrel for me.

To the OP, have you checked with EGW, Benny Hill or Matt Cheeley on the cost and feasability of fixing the ramp on that new Storm Lake and compared that to having one of these three fit a new Storm Lake? I have a Storm Lake in my 6" STI and really like the barrel. If the cost of fixing this barrel is anywhere close to just fitting a new Storm Lake or Schuemann I would just go with a new barrel.

BTW, if the "gunsmith" (I use this word loosely) isn't willing to foot the bill to have a real gunsmith fix this and they are in the same state as you I suggest filing a small claims suit against the "person."

Chris

I know of EGW- Bennys work but who is Matt these are issues way past an amature ability. Find a good gunsmith!! Good advise!

Matt Cheely makes some of the prettiest guns I've seen anywhere. Unfortunately this gun is going to have to sit in the safe as situations have changed a lot since I sent it in way back in September and I can't afford to send it out for another new barrel. Once my new company takes off I'll find someone to fix it up but until then I guess I will shoot my M&P if anything at all.

huh?

When you get a chance, send it off to Clark... he can weld it up and recut it for you. There are a lot of people who claim to be "gunsmiths," very few are. I think welding is $60. I'd give him a call and see what it will take, so you know where you are at. If I had the cash, I would have him "accurize" it too.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Wow, this is the reason I learned how to do this stuff myself. I've gotten to the point that there are maybe three people I would even try to have fit a barrel for me.

To the OP, have you checked with EGW, Benny Hill or Matt Cheeley on the cost and feasability of fixing the ramp on that new Storm Lake and compared that to having one of these three fit a new Storm Lake? I have a Storm Lake in my 6" STI and really like the barrel. If the cost of fixing this barrel is anywhere close to just fitting a new Storm Lake or Schuemann I would just go with a new barrel.

BTW, if the "gunsmith" (I use this word loosely) isn't willing to foot the bill to have a real gunsmith fix this and they are in the same state as you I suggest filing a small claims suit against the "person."

Chris

I know of EGW- Bennys work but who is Matt these are issues way past an amature ability. Find a good gunsmith!! Good advise!

huh?

you said it matt cheely! I Fix his so called hand made guns

One minute you don't know who he is and the next you're fixing "his so called hand made guns"? Doesn't add up to me. I think Matt is pretty well known around here and his reputation speaks for itself.