Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB or 550?

jb7304

I'm new to reloading and looking to get started. I will primarily be reloading 45GAP and 45ACP, possibly 9mm later on down the road. I really don't think that I will reload rifle ammo. My question is which would the better press be for my needs? I'm leaning toward the SDB since I only plan on loading pistol ammo. I don't know if caliber changes would be cheaper and easier with a 550. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I actually have both. The cost of caliber changes ends up evening out since the SDB conversion comes with the dies. Once you buy the 550 conversion, you'll still need to buy dies. The time it takes to change caliber would be pretty close, maybe a little faster on the 550 if you had toolheads. 550 toolheads slide in, while SDB toolheads are screwed down.

The only reason I would recommend the 550 is because it has more room to work, and it seems a bit smoother without the auto-index. Of course, that might be because my SDB is MANY years old, and my 550 is 3 weeks old.

Mac

I am a die hard 550 fan. The fact that you can use standard dies is why I bought it in the first place. I have loaded over 250,000 rounds on mine and it still works like a champ. I like the 650 too, but I actually prefer the manual indexing. It is another step to be sure, but I like the hands on nature of the 550.

Most of the squib rounds I've seen have been loaded on a 550 ;)

I'm not sure how Dillon gets their round-per-hour rate, but I don't believe it for one minute. You can easily do 4-500 rounds per hour on an SDB and you don't have to manually index the shell plate for each pull of the lever like you do with a 550. R,

SDB is fine if you plan to load just a few pistol calibers. It's also a good way to get started into loading.

The 550 is more versatile if you want to load a bunch of different caliber pistol and rifle rounds.

The 650 is where you really start to crank the rounds (pistol or rifle) faster.

1050 is the 650+++!!!

Edited by sidnal

Auto indexing is way over rated. Get the 550. Its a LOT more press.

+1

Auto indexing is very efficient on a press with a bullet feeder, but if you're manually placing bullets onto the cases, it's very easy to index the shell plate at the same time. And if you visually verify the powder level in the case before seating a bullet (something that should be done on any press anyway!) then you will never, ever have a double charge or squib.

As has been said above, I actually like indexing manually... it's kinda like driving stick - it keeps you very connected to the loading process.

The advantages of the 550 are that it's simple and easy to learn and maintain... and it's very versatile and fast/easy to set up for different calibers. As for the Square Deal, I've never loaded on one, but I've read that the working space is pretty tight... and for me, not being able to use standard size dies of my choosing would be a (Square) Deal breaker. devil.gif

By the way, I take my time when I load... I crank the handle very smoothly, seat each primer with care, and visually verify powder in each case as I place a bullet on top... and I average about 15 minutes for 100 rounds.

Edited by Xfactor

I'm not sure how Dillon gets their round-per-hour rate, but I don't believe it for one minute. You can easily do 4-500 rounds per hour on an SDB and you don't have to manually index the shell plate for each pull of the lever like you do with a 550. R,

I just can't understand how people can load squibs on the 550. The only way (I think) would be to manually index it twice instead of once (if the powder measure isn't empty). Otherwise, if the powder measure is empty, wouldn't you have the same issue on a 650/1050 or any other press for that matter? I think the reason you see more squibs on the 550 is that it is generally the first press soomeone buys, they are new to reloading, they get to cranking them out, and forget to check the powder measure. But, after every hundred rounds, you have to dump more primers in, so, PLEASE! TAKE THE 2 SECONDS TO LOOK AT THE POWDER MEASURE!

As far as the rate per hour, I have gone all out loading on my 550, and the best I can do, without a bullet feeder or brass feeder, is about 450 rounds per hour. That's having 5 primer tubes filled, bullets segregated out into 100 round bunches, a bucket of brass, and an absolutley full powder measure. How I do that is, when I reach for a new piece of brass with my right hand, my left hand grabs a bullet, thumb the index wheel while I'm positioning the new brass, set the bullet while moving my right hand to the press handle, then pull the handle. I check the case for powder as I'm setting the bullet. Usually, by the time I hit the bottom of the down stroke, I already have another bullet in my left fingers, ready to go.

The other thing is, with my 38 super load, the powder nearly fills the case, so manual indexing is a must so powder doesn't spill.

Edited by GrumpyOne

The 550 is a tank and will last forever... I could have upgraded to a 650 or even a 1050, but I like the manual index. I like to verify the load and also no machine can be as smooth as i am in indexing a full case. I bought the case feeder some time ago and just put a bullet feeder on it too. I have no intention of ever getting another press. I'll use my 1200 round an hour manual index 550 until I retire from shooting.

JT

JT just got his bullet feeder the other day. He was like a kid at christmas..hehe.. but he sure can load with that set up. I've watched him...the man flys at 1200/hour. However he loads 9 major....something that would be an absolute mess with auto indexing...but loading 38 super I have 3.5 mm more case to work with and don't find the auto indexing to be much of an issue spillage wise. And the way the 1050 is set up I can still check each case for powder. I'd miss that with a bullet feeder. 55,000 rounds and no squibs.... yet.....

I keep my SDB set up for production .40 minor

Edited by Dave S

If your only going to shoot stock guns, Glock, Sig, S@W etc then the square deal will serve you well. Going for an STI, SVI, Ed Brown, Wilson or a quality after market barrel, then the 550 is the way to go so that you can use dies other than Dillon. If you going to load for a tight chambered gun the U die is the way to go. I load on two 550's, one over twenty five years old. Great service from Dillon. Yes I had the first squib last week that I've had in years. The little white block came out of the powder bar and I didn't catch it right away. I'll put a dab of lock tight on the pivot bolt and will watch closely till I'm sure it's secure. That little block can come out of any Dillon powder measure, no matter which machine it's attached to. Reloading is fun, saves a lot of money, creates better ammo than you can buy in many cases. If you can swing it go 650 but only if you can afford all of it. Which ever machine you chose, pay attention to what your doing and have fun with it.

I have 2 SDB's and I'd probably buy another one if I find one cheap. I really don't know why the SDB gets such a bad rap all the time. If you are loading pistol only and you don't have to have a case feeder then the SDB is perfect. It is small and compact and very simple to use. With tool heads a caliber conversion takes less than 10 minutes.

I load 9 major/minor, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .38 SPL, .357 MAG and .40 S&W and have never had a problem with any gun or any chamber. I have a small and large primer set up for each press and 2 powder measures per press so changing from one caliber/load to another is very quick and simple. I've loaded tons of Glocked 9 and .40 and never had a chambering problem.

Load rate is 400 per hour with primer tubes loaded and if you hustle just a little you can do 500 without breaking a sweat, and I like to take a break every now and then anyway.

I think it is an excellent idea for a new reloader to start with something as simple as the SDB and learn how to reload safely. Once you learn the ropes and you want to upgrade then get something bigger and faster. I know a lot of guys started with the SDB with the intention of selling it and upgrade to a 650 and lot of them still have the SDB right there on the bench along with the 650. I have loaded with a 550, 650 and Star progressives and guys, for the money, the space, the simplicty, an SDB is hard to beat.

I'm new to reloading and looking to get started. I will primarily be reloading 45GAP and 45ACP, possibly 9mm later on down the road. I really don't think that I will reload rifle ammo. My question is which would the better press be for my needs? I'm leaning toward the SDB since I only plan on loading pistol ammo. I don't know if caliber changes would be cheaper and easier with a 550. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Check these out if you haven't seen them:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

be

I find this to be a very accurate claim. I have managed to collect all the common pistol caliber dies. I leave them set in their own tool heads, and need very little time at all to change from caliber to caliber even with powder change. I don't know how much time it takes to change from small to large primers, though.

I would go with the SDB if you're not into rifle calibers and don't think you ever will be. But if you think you will, buy the 650 now. Don't see the need for the 550 really.

I bought two Square Deals shortly after they were first introduced. 20-plus years later they're still hanging in there. Actually I loaded another 400 rounds of 9mm just this morning. God only knows HOW many tens of thousands of rounds total on both machines. Actually, I find the SBD quite a bit more durable, parts breakage-wise, and certainly less problematic as far as running without any sort of malfunction, than the larger Dillons. YM of course MV, but that's mine.

One thing I like about the Square Deal is that if you ever, for any reason, have to disassemble the machine, putting it back together again and having it run flawlessly is easy. Putting one of the larger Dillon's back together to the point it runs, if you've ever had to remove the platform, then reinstall, is a royal pain in the butt.

I have only used the SDB. I like how simple everything is and think the auto index is a safety feature and advantage, especially since I'm still relatively inexperienced. I keep seeing people post about the working room limits on the SDB, but I think I have that beat...I keep a pair of flat nose tweezers on the mount in front of the press. If I have to perform the only operation that takes small hands,taking out a brass locator pin to correct some error, I have the tool handy. Cleaning out the dies when using cast bullets is a MUST and maybe one of the 550 or bigger machines is easier, don't know. The primer system is the only thing I could think of to improve on the "B," but I have learned to work with it and keep it clean and serviced. I can get about 400 rounds per hour and I think that includes filling primer tubes ahead.

Edited by sheepdog

SDB is tiny and has no roller handle, no dies beside Dillon. No future besides pistol. Cost too much for caliber conversions. I don't get the SDB at all. Only squibs I have ever made were on a Auto Indexing press. Press has a stopage, you fix it, press indexings and the reloader does not account for it creates a squib. SDB is just too small for me and I don't even have big hands.

Edited by 98sr20ve