Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation: IDPA CDP 1911

WatchmanUSA

I'm looking for some advice. Right now I shoot SSP in IDPA so I only own service pistols - I don't have a 1911. I have an incredible opportunity to buy one of two 1911's new, direct from the factory. I can order a Springfield or Kimber. I was ready to buy a Springfield Trophy Match 1991 but then I found out I can buy any Kimber 1911 and get the same discount. So now I'm conflicted. I would like some advice. The primary use will be for IDPA CDP competition.

1. If you could get any Kimber for IDPA competition, which Kimber would you buy?

2. Which would you buy the Kimber (from above) or the Springfield Trophy Match?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Have owned 6 Kimbers over the last 10 years. Have owned 4 Springfields. While the Kimbers are a little sexier looking, the Springers have all been rock solid workhorses. I've had nothing but trouble with all of the Kimbers resulting in returns for warranty work. In the end, lack of customer service on the part of Kimber led me to sell all of them at a loss just to be rid of them. Now, I've had a few problems with one of the Springers and had to send it in for warranty work but they were so helpful and pleasant to deal with I ended up having custom-shop work done on the gun just so I could patronize them! Springfield's lifetime warranty on their pistols along with top-notch customer service and support would be the deciding factor for me. It's a bonus that they also support our various shooting sports in a huge way.

Aside from those issues, I think you would be well served by either pistol. Having said all of that, some of the Kimber models are real eye-candy.

My two cents...

cheers623

DVC

Can't help on the make and model, although I have a couple of SAs (plus gunsmithing) and no Kimbers.

Just some pointers:

Get a full size 5" Government Model and don't be tempted by one of those "handy" compact fake Commanders. You need the sight radius and muzzle heavy balance for competition.

Get visible sights; Kimber fixed are ok, as are Springfield Loaded. The rears are bold, the fronts can be replaced with fibre optic, gold bead, or just painted if you don't like the fine old Patridge sight picture. Avoid the SA GI with its tiny sights except as a platform for modification. The Mil-spec is only marginally better unless you have very young keen eyes.

Shoot hardball ammunition until you are ready to get acquainted with a gunsmith. Undersize chambers and rough ramps can give you a fit with lead bullet reloads.

Use quality magazines, McCormick Power Mags are usually ok, Tripp Cobra Mags are nice.

Get a name brand Kydex holster and magazine carriers; I use RTP largely because I shoot with the maker.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Holster_p/rdt.203.htm?1=1&CartID=0

http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

I have a couple of each. I'd be leaning towards the Springer since I think that Kimbers have more problems. Both companies will back up their guns.

As stated, get a 5" all steel gun with a magwell and FO front sight. I run Wilson 47Ds and see no reason to fix what ain't broke.

Personally I would get either

the "Loaded" parkerized springfield 1911. It has ambi safties, and pretty much only needs a magwell and maybe a fiber optic front

Or the Kimber custom II , it does not (or didnt use to) come with an ambi thumb safety. In IDPA this does not matter though. You will eventually want to add a magwell to this gun too.

I currently own a Kimber custom II 45 ACP.

I put a fiber optic front on it

I added a smith and alexander magwell

it does not have an ambi thumb safety (not a big deal)

I replaced the series 80 forinf pin with a series 70 for $11. This increases the reliability of the gun as the scwhwartz safety is basicly a type of series 80, and a series 70 firing pin by passes the "gate" of the series 80 system as the series 70 firing pin lacks the raised collar of the 80 type FP

I have a Kimber Gold Match and an early Classic Custom. Both pistols serve me well in IDPA. They are both very accurate, and have been extemely reliable. I shoot my own reloads through these guns.

Both guns have oversized magwells, and each gun is fitted with a Briley bushing. I put MMc adjustable sights on the Classic, and both wear a fiber optic front sight

Note that I remove the big button on the Gold Match from the mag release when shooting IDPA

kimbers008.jpg

Edited by RussB

Hello: Buy a STI Spartan 45 :cheers: With the extra money you save buy a Dillon to reload on or a STI Spartan 9mm. I have a Kimber Eclipse 40/9mm and the Spartans have better frame to slide fit. The finish on the Spartan's is not that great but I use them for gun games so it is not that important to me as long as they go bang everytime. I know the new Spartan 9mm is fit better than the Springfield 9mm and the Kimber 9mm. I am a fan of the Spartan's and think STI has a winner with both the 45 and 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Pick a five inch with adjustable sights, either brand would be a good choice. Get as many options as you can afford on the pistol. Mag well, checkering on the front strap etc. I like Wilson 47D magazines, think Dillon still offers them for $25. 1911 45's are fun to shoot, you'll have a blast.

Between the two I would choose the Springfield. <_<

Also...... If you can do business with a company that supports the sports we play in... why would you go with a company that does nothing for us?

Interesting point of view, but as an American, I like to support products that are made right here in the United States. I feel strongly that keeping citizens employed and families supported is not only good for "our sport" but good for our country.