Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I like expensive hobbies :(

beginner shooter

Was the plane on fire? That's the only reason I could think of that would make me jump outta it! I mean, if it's still flyin'..... :rolleyes:

On fire? No. But the door was opened so it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. But seriously, you should see our plane. I fear for my life until we reach 1,000'. :)

Edited by beginner shooter

Was the plane on fire? That's the only reason I could think of that would make me jump outta it! I mean, if it's still flyin'..... :rolleyes:

On fire? No. But the door was opened so it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. But seriously, you should see our plane. I fear for my life until we reach 1,000'. :)

Thats how they get you to jump. Once it gets to 1k you can't wait to get out!

Thats how they get you to jump. Once it gets to 1k you can't wait to get out!

You kidding?!? I cant wait to jump as soon as I get in the thing, but joking aside, dont knock it till you try it..... Thats how I got hooked.

When I read the thread title I had a feeling it would be about skydiving. :D

Yes, very expensive... just like nearly every OTHER worthwhile hobby, I'm afraid.

Whats sad is that I've likely spent more on skydiving than most competitive shooters have on their hobby. Hell, Ive got over $10.000 tied up in gear alone. Shooting is my "cheap" hobby for when I cant afford to jump, but after purchasing the gun I just bought I'm starting to wonder..... Two addictive activities so little money...

dont knock it till you try it..... Thats how I got hooked.

That is the main reason I haven't tried it - seriously. I've come close a couple of times - I'm sure it would feed my need for speed.

Never say never.

It seems that all the hobbies I like cost an arm and a leg. Here's some pics of what I do when I'm not at the range..... Enjoy!

Heeeyy.. Something is wrong with those picts. I see green in the mountains. not White!! Whats up with that. :)

Scott

They say that the same thought runs through everybody's mind as they stand at the door for the first time, some variation of "Am I really, actually gonna jump out of this perfectly good airplane?".

At least, that's what I was thinking (Only two tandem jumps - whatta rush. I'd 'a done more, but family came along right then, and I had to keep my feet on the ground. AAMOF, our boy went skydiving too, antenatally, as Mom didn't know she was expecting when she made her jump :blink::D )

eta:

I got video somewhere, and when I say video, I mean VHS cassettes, that the cameraman had loaded into a helmet rig that probably gave him whiplash every time he pulled his own ripcord - no minaturized electronics with chip memory. Ouch...

Edited by kevin c

Over the past several years or more I did a lot of aerial photography. On one of the later flights, we used (as we often did) the funky stripped-down sky jumpers' aircraft, which afforded me a door-less view out the plane--excellent for aerial survey--and little more than two flimsy seats lightly bolted to the floor with two equally flimsy seat belts. Anyway, one of the local jump instructors asked if he could hitch a ride and do a pleasure jump from our aircraft before we flew off to my subject matter elsewhere, and we agreed.

So we went aloft and he was kinda hanging onto the back of my seat (because the back seats were removed) chatting away like normal. One second he was there, and the next second he was GONE. Plain flat GONE!!! :surprise: I gingerly looked down (figuring that was where he went) and there he was, barely visible, screaming toward the earth's surface at God-knows-how-many-miles-an-hour (over 100, I'm sure) and GONE!!

Well, in a nutshell it seriously freaked my stomach a bit for the next several minutes, just watching that dude disappear like that. :sick: As you said, "jumping out of a perfectly good airplane."

Whatta rush. ;)