Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion on handgrips

I showed my dad these handgrips and he told me that if I got them I would look like a "pimp with his gat". Now I don't think they give that impression, but I would like the opinion of others. If I buy them they will be going on a Springfield 1911 GI which is used primarily as my CCW. So what do you think?

Cricky

Finger groove grips were all the rage when I first started 25+ years ago! We soon found out that they weren't very good for competition. I have settled on checkered wood but others like other types and some still go with FG grips.

FWIW

Richard

vz grips and grip tape in the front strap is what i use currently and love it. The VZs are very aggressive and give a really good grip control. front strap tape is a new addition after last week so we'll see if helps this weekend. seems like it will.

• 6 months later...

I agree with your Father.

+1

For a great gripping surface, VZ Grips with some skateboard tape or checkering on the front strap. Or get plain, smooth grips and scateboard tape them as well as the front strap. Check out TruGrip.

For an inside the waistband carry. Go mild or suffer...wink.gif

+1

For some nice wood grips, I like Grips by Esmeralda. But there really are a bajillion to choose from so just find what you like. Something that will give you adequate traction but won't eat all the skin off you while carrying in the holster.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want a gun with the Grim Reaper on the grips as a prosecution exhibit!

The man has a point.

Edited by mgood

I try to find some grips that are just a little too small, then add grip tape or skateboard tape all the way around.

I put a set of the rubberized finger grove grips on a house gun and the first thing I noticed was that it did not feel right. Find something you like and then stick with it. Grip tape on the outside grip only on carry guns...trust me.

George

I like the Ergo grips, close to being as grippy as grip-tape but really it's the "in-between" size that makes them awesome for me, they're right in-between a slim-grip and a regular-grip thickness-wise, uses the regular hardware too. $25 well spent.

I say pimp your gat negative attention is still attention . I also believe no one should ever see your carry gun .

I showed my dad these handgrips and he told me that if I got them I would look like a "pimp with his gat". Now I don't think they give that impression, but I would like the opinion of others. If I buy them they will be going on a Springfield 1911 GI which is used primarily as my CCW. So what do you think?

Cricky