Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Extractors From Svi

benos

Talked with Sandy Strayer today, and he told me they are now making their own extractor in house. The way he described the thing ... it sounds like the shit. He's gone to send me one to look at. That's some great news, it's about time he did this. The extractor's always the weak link ... and, IMHO, the Aftec (no clue on how to spell it) is out in left field in the Rube Goldberg (that either) department. (Clever wording stolen from and echoed by Sandy S.) ;)

I'll keep you posted.

be

Brian,

I have one and it is the best looking extractor I have ever seen ... period! Every single functional edge is machined to perfection and I can not think of anything that I would want to do to it prior to installation. I usually take out the files and radius or polish all of the edges that come into play during the feeding cycle and Sandy already has everything covered with the CNC machine. It really is a work of art for an extractor.

I know this is hard to see but I did the best I could with my non-existent camera skills.

Leo

extractor1.JPG

IMHO, the Aftec (no clue on how to spell it) is out in left field in the Rube Goldberg (that either) department.

I'll keep you posted.

be

My most honorable host of great informations. I must respectfully disagree with the AFTEC being a Rube Goldberg contraption. I simply dropped mine in after a little light filing on the f/p stop and it has been nothing less than completely reliable. I can't recall a single extraction problem with ANY AFTEC I've had. But if SV has a new extractor that is as reliable (and alot cheaper) I'm all for it.

I'll have to second on the Aftec. I thought the same thing as BE when they first came out. Then, early in .... last year (almost wrote this year), I was having sparatic problems that I thought were mag related. (Got lots of good mag advise here, but couldn't solve the problem. Figured it might be the extractor. Dropped in an Aftec and hadn't had a problem since. No rounding, radiusing AND no adjusting of tension.

Still, this looks like a viable option.

Metal Injection Molding..

simplified explanation..probably miss lots of the details..

process of which powdered metal is formed into parts..usually can tell from a sprue marking left on the part...lots of parts in guns being done this way. rather than the expense of milling..some controversey as whether is a weaker part or not..

would be interesting if extractor was..think Colt tried it..found the extractor did not have the spring properties needed in an extractor..

Apparently Brian mentionned the part in coming out of the CNC machine.

So this might not be a MIM part.

As to know if MIM parts are weaker, I don't know, Ruger uses this process (or a similar one) for years and they have a reputation of durability, OK pistols looks ugly IMO but, they're tough !

Thanks for the clarification on MIM.

Sandy's extractors are CNC machined from barstock.

I believe that some others use cast parts.

The biggest difference is Sandy's magnificent machine work and the durability of the barstock.

Leo

from barstock is good..should mean that there is spring quality to the steel..key to a good extractor...the other machining looks real nice..puts more of a finishing touch on them

so who has them, be nice to try out

I don't know the lingo, but I do know they are machined on some sort of super-trick CNC machine that works like a lathe and a mill at the same time. I think it's the shit for machining curved surfaces. And I also that know Sandy well enough to know that he wouldn't even dream of letting his ugliest, smelliest dog piss on a MIM part, let alone make an extractor out of one. (That make have been lacking in grammar, but I really enjoyed saying it.)

;)

DD,

IMO, the main differences between the SV and others are:

The extractor is machined from barstock

The extractors are caliber specific and there are different parts for 9mm, 38S, 38SC, 40/10mm

The design and dimensions are different to improve function

The lower section of the hook and feed pad area has been radiused (not visible in pic) to improve feeding and function

The overall finish, machine work and perceived quality of part is better than any other extractor I have used/seen.

I'm sure there are more differences but these are what I noticed right away.

Leo

AFTEC extractors have solved many a problem for me and have proven bullet proof after 100s of thousands of rounds usage. the little springs seem to compensate for variations in case head diameters found in multi fiired cases,speaking of 38 supercomp and other rimless,. B)

And I also that know Sandy well enough to know that he wouldn't even dream of letting his ugliest, smelliest dog piss on a MIM part, let alone make an extractor out of one.

How would Sandy make an extractor out of his ugliest smelly dog anyhow?

CNC? :D

Guest Larry Cazes

Geez, I have been using Wilson Bulletproof barstock extractors for many years in many of my own single stack 1911s and have recommended them to alot of friends as well. since I started using them, not a single problem with them. Just an initial tweak to tension them correctly and thats it. I get mine from various sources for around $25.00. The one I installed in my first gun, an early springfield, has been running for almost 6 years with about 15K rounds through it and it is still holding tension. Does anyone know what SV is charging for this part?

Larry