Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Common Handguns for Three-Gun

Greetings All!

Following this weekend's three-gun match I began to reflect on the variation of handguns I see at three-gun matches. Of course I immediately came here and began to search, but little has been discovered over the past two days of varying search phrases and playing with boolean operators. Unfortunately, there is not a dedicated thread for this specific question to fit in for production guns nor does the multigun gear thread seem to be the appropriate place. So, on the advice of BE, I have placed my question here. Moderators, please move it or offer advice as necessary.

My question is this: What tend to be the most common handguns, production or otherwise, to be utilized in three-gun and WHY?

Thank you in advance for your insight. I look forward to reading!

Cheers,

Kyle

For non-USPSA 3gun matches, usually there is no power factor. Therefore 9mm is the choice. I cant speak to open class shooting because I dont shoot in that division but for tactical division, I use a glock 34. 9mm gives the advantage of higher capacity and using a glock means I don't have to worry about unintentionally disengaging the (1911) safety when I drop the gun in a safety box. I've also used 1911's in 3 gun just as effectively. The only difference is that I have to be slightly more aware of the thumb safety (not a big deal). So it boils down to personal preference.

Handguns play a small part in a successful 3 gun match in my opinion. For example, the up coming Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 Gun match round count is as follows:

# 202 rifle rounds

# 48 pistol rounds

# 82 shotgun shells

# 11 shotgun slugs

You wont win with handgun but it can definitely hinder a successful match.

Hope this helps.

I think a lot depends on the match format. If we're talking USPSA 3-gun, then major and minor apply, as well as having pistol only, rifle only, and shotgun only stages -- you might want a limited blaster to compete in that match...

For multi-gun it'll come down to major/minor scoring -- if it exists you probably want to make major, if not, then I'd pick a 9mm for capacity and ease of shooting...

I have been using a 2011 6" in 9mm for 3Gun. May go to my S&W 9L for a little more peace of mind when I chunk the gun in a box. Can't wipe the safety when there is none. See several really top flite shooters earn a DQ by wiping off the safety when they put their gun in a box.

Wow... others have already said what I was going to say... 9mm or 40 depending on USPSA or Wildcat. Go Glock or risk going home.... (Personal preference, since I shoot Glocks in Production and Limited 10 anyway)

I think the real answer is shoot what you know, and if the BOX comes up, take the extra half second and make sure your gun is safe.

For non-USPSA 3gun matches, usually there is no power factor. Therefore 9mm is the choice. I cant speak to open class shooting because I dont shoot in that division but for tactical division, I use a glock 34. 9mm gives the advantage of higher capacity and using a glock means I don't have to worry about unintentionally disengaging the (1911) safety when I drop the gun in a safety box. I've also used 1911's in 3 gun just as effectively. The only difference is that I have to be slightly more aware of the thumb safety (not a big deal). So it boils down to personal preference.

Handguns play a small part in a successful 3 gun match in my opinion. For example, the up coming Superstition Mystery Mountain 3 Gun match round count is as follows:

# 202 rifle rounds

# 48 pistol rounds

# 82 shotgun shells

# 11 shotgun slugs

You wont win with handgun but it can definitely hinder a successful match.

Hope this helps.

48 pistol.......all at 50 yard polish plate racks!!!!!

Small part??? NOT.

All kidding aside a whole bunch of Glocks are seen on the range if only for the ease of hot abandonment.

Not to mention that STOCK Glock's just run, so you are already 1/3 the way to having

a successful match.

Patrick

I think a lot depends on the match format. If we're talking USPSA 3-gun, then major and minor apply, as well as having pistol only, rifle only, and shotgun only stages -- you might want a limited blaster to compete in that match...

For multi-gun it'll come down to major/minor scoring -- if it exists you probably want to make major, if not, then I'd pick a 9mm for capacity and ease of shooting...

No such thing as USPSA 3-gun.

They combined 3 gun and multi gun either last year or two years ago.

I know that the title is the most common handgun.

But, I shoot the monthly match at DPMS's Del Tone range. A lot of new shooters are showing up for the matches. I thought that I would comment that I am seeing a wide variety being utilized. People are bringing whatever they have in the safe at home. Glock's, HK, SIG, Beretta, a few FN's are showing up, one guy has one of those Walther/Smith jobs and another brought a Taurus. 1911 of course for the HM. M&P is around and we have one guy who brings out the wheel gun just for fun. I and a couple others are using CZ's.

It is fun to see some variety uses. Handling and operation of some of these guns, well, that's not the topic here.

Jay

If you are shooting Tactical the obvious choice is the STI Edge in 40, the major scoring helps more than the speed of a 9 mm gun. I wouldn't handicap myself with a single stack. Most of the time the stages are 28-32 rounds so its either Limited or Open.

In IDPA 3-Guns I shoot a CZ75B with 1 1/2# trigger and let her rip. That gun has won several pistol stages and helped push me to a Division win.

Reloading the shotgun has to be the biggest time factor in a match, you can easily lose 30-45 seconds on a big stage to reloading, then it don't matter what pistol you are shooting.

I know that the title is the most common handgun.

But, I shoot the monthly match at DPMS's Del Tone range. A lot of new shooters are showing up for the matches. I thought that I would comment that I am seeing a wide variety being utilized. People are bringing whatever they have in the safe at home. Glock's, HK, SIG, Beretta, a few FN's are showing up, one guy has one of those Walther/Smith jobs and another brought a Taurus. 1911 of course for the HM. M&P is around and we have one guy who brings out the wheel gun just for fun. I and a couple others are using CZ's.

It is fun to see some variety uses. Handling and operation of some of these guns, well, that's not the topic here.

Jay

Jay,

Actually, your comments are very valid! They are at the heart of why I posted the original question. I too see a wide variety of handguns and was curious if there was consensus on the "ideal" for three-gun. It seems to me that the AR is the dominant rifle type and the SLP, M2/M4 or 1100 dominate the other two guns (I know this is a broad statement and other kit is utilized), which lead me to wonder about the handgun.

It looks as if the consensus to this point is one of the polymer pistols and the Glock may be leading the pack.

Cheers,

Kyle

I'm also A Glock Guy.

On the safety issue,

I do this and I'm teaching my Son to do this as well. When you put a gun in a drop Box,, say out loud "Gun on Safe" wile you are doing it.

The R.O. will be happy,, and you remember to do it.

Jim M ammo

I shoot a G35 for my 3-gun pistol. At USPSA sanctioned matches, I shoot my USPSA Limited G35 shooting .40 S&W major. For shooting IMGA scored matches, I use my back-up G35 with a LWD 9mm conversion barrel shooting minor 9mm.