Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACRONYMS Webster

There are so many acronyms floating around out there I am almost discouraged by the matter. Half the conversations I do not know what they are talking about. You cannot even buy something on the classifieds if you don't know whats being talking about. Not everyone lives at a gun match and/or has a bunch of friends who speak this cultures language with fluency. I need a translator as I am sure many others do to.

So in the interest of being able to function in my native tongue of 'Americanese English' I thought some who want to know could ask questions along this line and others who do know answer what these 'BTT's and 'bumps' and "2 SPS 170mm mags FS 9mm or 38SC" actually mean. I found out 'SPS' is a company just last night otherwise I would have been clueless once again but what does "FS" mean? And this could go on for hours...and of course anybody who has a thought to share about any acronym sure would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input as it will enable me to participate knowledgeably.

earl

Edited by earlbob

So in the interest of being able to function in my native tongue of 'Americanese English' I thought some who want to know could ask questions along this line and others who do know answer what these 'BTT's and 'bumps' and "2 SPS 170mm mags FS 9mm or 38SC" actually mean. I found out 'SPS' is a company just last night otherwise I would have been clueless once again but what does "FS" mean? And this could go on for hours...and of course anybody who has a thought to share about any acronym sure would be appreciated.

earl

Takes a while to learn the lingo but here's a quick translation

BTT = Bump to Top: just a reply to get the topic back to the top of the thread page.

FS = For Sale

WTS = Want to Sell

WTB = Want to buy

WTT = Want to Trade

SPF = Sold Pending Funds

Translating your example:

"2 SPS 170mm mags FS 9mm or 38SC"

in Americanese means "2 SPS(manufacturer) 170 millimeter(length) magazines for sale, 9 millimeter or 36 super comp (calibers).

Hope that helps.

edited for typos...

Edited by pas44

There are so many acronyms floating around out there I am almost discouraged by the matter. Half the conversations I do not know what they are talking about. You cannot even buy something on the classifieds if you don't know whats being talking about. Not everyone lives at a gun match and/or has a bunch of friends who speak this cultures language with fluency. I need a translator as I am sure many others do to.

earl

Don't sweat it, we were all there once.....

You've just reminded me of first discovering the 'net, sometime in the late 90s or so.....

I been doing the Goog it route, it has helped. The gun culture is the worse for abbrev. evrythng. Mostly its the gun culture acronyms that can be difficult to decipher.

But in my first example I still would not know whether I was interested as "FS' still draws a blank in my mind. I assume it is a particular firearm but which one?

Inquiring earl needs to know

I been doing the Goog it route, it has helped. The gun culture is the worse for abbrev. evrythng. Mostly its the gun culture acronyms that can be difficult to decipher.

But in my first example I still would not know whether I was interested as "FS' still draws a blank in my mind. I assume it is a particular firearm but which one?

Inquiring earl needs to know

If you are talking about FS as in M&P 9 FS that is "full size". As in not a compact model.

?????

I was hoping for acronymns that would be a blessing to people still low on the learning curve. I completely understand that grammmar has no place in the real world but still communication is THE desired goal if I understand the ways of man still! :sight:

earl

Actually, it's not just classifieds. I was lamenting the other day that, being new to rifles, I was unable to decipher the answer to a question I asked when references were made to a manufacturer and model. It doesn't help either that we tend to forget that things change with time. In that particular case, reference was (apparently) being made to a model which had been superseded by a new model, but most people still know and refer to it by it's prior acronym.

The tough thing is, it's simply not practical to spell everything out when 'everyone' knows what you mean. Of course, everyone doesn't actually mean "everyone who may ever read the message", it means "most of the people reading the message didn't just get here and will know what it means and don't want to have to read a long description when 'everyone' already knows what it means anyway and will ask if they don't and it's important to them to know."

KWIM? <--an acronym, not a crude reference to a bodily part which is spelled differently anyway