Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitchen Kydex mag pouches

GlowingDonut

Or, how I learned to love handling hot Kydex and save a ton of $$$ making my own mag pouches. :D

This year I decided I was going to give up shooting 1 shot per second at paper targets, and get into competitive shooting in the USPSA. I had a Glock 22, but needed a belt and between 5~6 mag pouches to start in Production division. I was kinda bummed to see that most kydex Glock mag carriers are between $25~$35 each. Being a tinkerer, and a DIY guy, I ordered up two 12"x12" sheets of 0.093" Kydex for $12 from a knife making supplier, and went to creating a cardboard template. After several designs, and trial fitting, I settled an a simple, self-tensioning design with integrated belt clip that could be shaped from one piece. No rivets, and simple. The first pattern I scribed on the Kydex sheet and cut out with a coping saw. Screw that. Too time consuming, and rough edges. Second copy I scribed, but drilled 1/8" holes at each inside and outside corner, then scored with a utility knife and snapped out with little drama. Finished all six, cleaned up and smoothed edges with a sanding stick and some elbow grease, then popped each one in the toaster oven for 5 min on 300. For those who've never worked with heated Kydex, I thought it would be like taffy, but it actually has the consistency of leather when hot. The challenge is to hold the form of the mag pouch long enough for it to cool, and hold it's shape. I ended up forming the main pocket first, then heating the belt clip with a heat gun and forming it separately.

They came out great, and with a little trial fitting, and reheating to adjust initial tension, I have 6 mag pouches for $12 and a few hours of work. If anyone's interested, I can post the specs of the cardboard template I created.

IMG_9811.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg

IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

Edited by GlowingDonut

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more note: My belt is a 1.75" Bianchi, which is a little wider than the CR Speed or DAA 1.5" belts, so the 120MM belt flap dimension is for this width belt clip. If you use 120MM, you can mold your clip for the smaller 1.5" belts and the pouch will ride .25" lower than as seen in my example. Alternatively, use 114MM for that dimension for 1.5" belts, and it will ride flush with the top of your belt.

Edited by GlowingDonut

That is awesome! I love it when people can make their own own stuff on the cheap and it works as good or better than the mass produced stuff. Great job!

I saved the template now I just need to find a place to buy Kydex sheets.

I'm glad my post has helped! As for forms, I used a G22 mag with a single round loaded to form the pocket. I wore some cheap cotton gardening gloves, and it was just enough protection from the heated Kydex to hold it around the mag and let it cool for 15~20 seconds. Once it started to set, I removed the mag, and collapsed the pocket a little smaller for the tension, and set it aside to cool completely.

The belt clip was formed around a piece of .25" x 1.75" stacked cardboard I duct-taped to act as my stand-in belt. I found a heat gun, or careful use of a propane torch on low to general areas for 2~3 seconds would warm the Kydex to relax and allow me to adjust tension.

I thought about offering some for sale, but I need to perfect a way to cut out the pattern that's not so labor intensive per unit. The heat forming only takes 5 min. I'll keep everyone posted with a new process I'm evaluating that would let me stack and cut multiple sheets at a time with very little clean up needed.

I thought about offering some for sale, but I need to perfect a way to cut out the pattern that's not so labor intensive per unit. The heat forming only takes 5 min. I'll keep everyone posted with a new process I'm evaluating that would let me stack and cut multiple sheets at a time with very little clean up needed.

Find someone who owns a waterjet and make friends. I have one and have used it to cut all types of plastic.

Find someone who owns a waterjet and make friends. I have one and have used it to cut all types of plastic.

Sign shops who have a laser can zap out the patterns super fast also.

Once upon a time I made some pouches up, it is amazing how different people solve the sames problems in such similar ways :cheers:

I was bored, so I just stuck this in turbocad... Here's the DXF if anyone wants it.. and I printed it to PDF as well. Either should work as a template or if someone has a cutter that will take a dxf file, this should work. Mind you it's specific to the mag that was being used in this thread so other mags will need slightly different dimensions.

Note, I radius'd all the corners and I didn't know the actual angles on the angled cut, so this may need some tweaks.

DXF File

PDF Version

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Alan, that's really cool of you to create those reference files. I'm going to scout around town here in N. Dallas and see if any sign shops can cut this pattern out for me in quantities of four if I supply them 12"x9" sheets. Like I said, 80% of the labor is in the scribing and cutting. The rest I actually enjoyed. :roflol: