Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kitchen Kydex mag pouches

GlowingDonut

Creepy. These look almost identical to the ones I made myself.

The easiest way I found was similar: Heat the kydex in an oven and form the mag pouch all in one step. I actually use large spring clamps to hold the kydex in position on the sides, then wrap the flap under the top of the bullet and around the front.

Then dunk it in a small container of water, and it will solidify almost instantly. No waiting.

Then, like you, I form the belt clip in about 20 seconds of heating with a heat gun. Again, dip it in water.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan, that's really cool of you to create those reference files. I'm going to scout around town here in N. Dallas and see if any sign shops can cut this pattern out for me in quantities of four if I supply them 12"x9" sheets. Like I said, 80% of the labor is in the scribing and cutting. The rest I actually enjoyed. :roflol:

If you can sketch the orientation for more than one on a sheet, I can give you a dxf or pdf of the multiples that would maximize the sheet usage. Easy enough to clone and reorient on a page.

Alan

Got 2ea sheets of Kydex yesterday. Gave me a perfect excuse to buy the heat gun I have always wanted. So after a few burned fingers maybe I will have something that resembles a mag pouch. Thanks for sharing you knowledge of the fine art of Kydexizing!

I have made quite a few Kydex holsters but never did come up with a good design for competition mag pouches. I will give this one a try. I saved the DXF file and when I get a chance I will post process and try cutting the pattern. All I have right now is some .125 Kydex but I will cut it and see what happens. Will let everyone know how it works out.

Larry

Thanks for the inspirational post, I just purchaced 3 sheets of kydex from one of your links. I am thinking of making a DOH attachment for my Blade Tech holster, there are quite a few other projects that your post has inspired me to try, like a ear muff belt clip. I will think of a bunch of other goodies later. Thanks again :cheers:

I ordered a few more 12x12" sheets myself to design and make some similar pouches for my 1911 so I can shoot in Single Stack if I wanted. I am trying to test a different way of cutting Kydex with a hot wire cutter and a metal template to trace while I cut (like a hot wire band saw). I'm a little concerned about potential heath hazards of inhaling melting Kydex smoke though. If I can perfect a way of efficiently cutting these out in quantity, I'll figured I'd like to offer them for sale for $12 for those who would prefer a finished product and not a project.

I ordered a few more 12x12" sheets myself to design and make some similar pouches for my 1911 so I can shoot in Single Stack if I wanted. I am trying to test a different way of cutting Kydex with a hot wire cutter and a metal template to trace while I cut (like a hot wire band saw). I'm a little concerned about potential heath hazards of inhaling melting Kydex smoke though. If I can perfect a way of efficiently cutting these out in quantity, I'll figured I'd like to offer them for sale for $12 for those who would prefer a finished product and not a project.

My nickel says for that price, you'll have a line waiting to hand you money!

Alan

Have you tryed a bandsaw or a jigsaw?

Have you tryed a bandsaw or a jigsaw?

That's what I was thinking. A scroll saw would be perfect for any of you woodworkers out there.

A scroll saw would be great, but the edges must be sanded and dressed before forming. I'm trying to develop a way to cut them out and have a clean, smooth edge in the process, eliminating time to produce and labor, as well as a nicer finished product.

I modified the original draws that I did to better support the radius on corners and I looked at a Ready Tactical version and modified the bottom where the bullet lays and the wrap around the belt.

Version 2's here

PDF version 2

DXF version 2

Thanks Alan! I'll make a sample with some of my extra material and see if the more rounded radii are beneficial.

A scroll saw would be great, but the edges must be sanded and dressed before forming. I'm trying to develop a way to cut them out and have a clean, smooth edge in the process, eliminating time to produce and labor, as well as a nicer finished product.

I think it was knifekits.com or somewhere I saw a video of how to make a knife sheath. They looked like they used a scotch-brite wheel in a bench grinder to finish the edges prior to molding, looked like it made quick order of the edges too.

Alan

I had to use 275~300 in a toaster oven for about 4~5 min to get it nice a soft. If you leave it in for less, or let it cool for 1 min after you remove it, it will start to firm up. When it's full temp, the kydex is the consistency of tanned leather.

Got some more material in and after a little tweaking and two cardboard templates, I created a 1911 mag pouch for my Kimber. I flared the mouth a little to make them easier to insert, but other than that, it's based on the Glock mag pouch one-piece design. I'm probably going to make 4~5 more of them in case I want to shoot Single Stack as well. I'm really diggin' this Kydex stuff.

1911_1.gif

1911_2.gif

1911_3.gif

Thanks for the inspirational post, I just purchaced 3 sheets of kydex from one of your links. I am thinking of making a DOH attachment for my Blade Tech holster, there are quite a few other projects that your post has inspired me to try, like a ear muff belt clip. I will think of a bunch of other goodies later. Thanks again :cheers:

Ok, I made the DOH attachment for my standard Blade Tech holster and it turned out better than I had hoped for. Saved myself some $ and it was fun working with hot Kydex. I don't have any pics yet but if I get time I will post some. I made a ear muff hanger for my CR Speed belt that is custum fit for my Pro Ears too, This is all with one 12x12 sheet of kydex, I still have some left. All for less than $5. :cheers:

This is a great idea. Hopefully these can be used in IPDA. I'll have to double check the rule book. I don't really see why not though. I'll be making some either way. If you have a router and router table you can make a plywood template and zip these out real quick.

Thank you for this great contribution!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic Job!!! I almost feel like a thief taking your design.... I'm going to get a few sheets of Kydex and make up a few for my SS. Thanks for all the info and pics....

I made 4 mag pouches using this design. They fit my Glock airsoft and regular mags as well as my XD mags. I tried the oven first, but had the most luck with my heat gun folding it one corner at a time. Thanks for the tip and the design...If anyone has a design for an AR15 mag, please post it so I can complete the set! ;)

Hey, Glo-Do, any chance you have the measurements for the single stack template? I just ordered some kydex and dusted off the scroll saw and bench grinder. Gonna have me a plastic-bake this weekend!

Great design, and thanks very much for the inspiration and direction!

Mac