Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need powder suggestion for loading .223

davester00

So it's time for me to start loading up .223 for plinking out to 100 to 150 yards.

the problem is that the Hogdon 335 powder that I wanted to go with is still out of stock.

So what powder from http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ would you recommend for loading.

55grn .22 caliber FJM bullet

https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.tpl

PMC brass

Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest primer

for a noveske 14.5" length barrel w/ 1/7 twist

the rules are it has to be from powder valley. I would like to order about 16lbs :

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Please specify powder / suggested charge and C.O.L

My initial guess is to purchase the Hogdon Benchmark powder in 2 8lbs jugs.

Thank You.

David

I have used Benchmark, Varget, H4895, H322 and H335. I save my Varget for heavier loads,69 and up. Varget still shot the 55 real good. I hear Benchmark is good for lighter bullets as well as H335. You can't go wrong with Varget for the 223. I seated my rounds to the crimp groove. I was using Lapua 55fmj. AR15.com has tons of info for the AR platform and reloading.

I shot a LOT of 55gr Sierra Blitz Kings out my Wylde match 1-7 AR, they performed very well.

It was explained to me by Bill that years ago they had the barrels that would work but the bullets available at that time could not stand the twist rate.

His opinion was it is almost impossible to overspin a good bullet.

H335 is a very good choice and if I can't get that I would try the varget.

Good Luck

I use BLC(2) with 55gr Hornady FMJBT. I worked up loads from 26gr in steps to 28.1gr, the best groups happened at 27gr. Some brass was not able to take the pressure of 28.1gr so I would not go that high.

I dropped the oal idea and went with seating that just barley exposes the edge of the cannalure, this helped accuracy. The recommended OAL hit mid cannalure and was all over the place.

Edited by CocoBolo

Presumably, you're loading for a bolt gun. If so, consider Winchester 748. Years ago, I bought this really nice Remington called a Sportsman 78. I worked up a load for it using 28gr of 748 with a 52gr Blitz and adjusted the length so that the ogive of the bullet was about .002 off the rifling. Freakin' thing is a tack driver!! Sierra says you aren't supposed to drive that line of bullets very fast, but in that rifle, I never had any trouble with bullet instability that I could ascertain. No pressure sign to speak of. Primer flattens out but no cratering. I won't say what the velocities I was getting were like because it was a long time ago I checked them. I will tell you though, I started hunting prairie dogs when I was very young and growing up in Kansas. I am sure there's a prairie dog "personal accountability team" in a burrow out there somewhere and my likeness is on the wall in the ready room.

Can you say "Detonation" boys and girls...I Knew you could! :o

Do you guys' loads with 55 grain bullets make minor out of a 14.5"? I've been shooting a 16" for years and recently switched to a 14.5". I haven't chronoed my loads yet to see if my typical 25 grains of WC-844 or H335 will make minor with a 55 grain bullet!

To the OP, consider BLC-2. It's almost the same as H335 and will do the same thing.

Won't barrel length play a big part in this choice? I would think that for such a short barrel you would want the fastest powder that would work for a 55gr .223

Yes it will and you hit the nail on the head. Hence my earlier suggestion of H322. All of the powders listed in here are common for .223 but some would be better suited for bolt guns with longer barrels. Also powder type (ball, stick, flake) would also be a consideration if the OP is loading with a progressive press which is throwing the charge as opposed to weighing each by hand.

Hay guys-n-gals new to the forum but not to 223. win 748 and Sierra 40gr BlitzKings or Nosler 40gr Spitzers. Thay work very well on P-dogs the Sierras turn them in to red mist and the Noslers in to bite size chunks. O-YA the 55gr in both work good on yotes :)

Erik Runyan

• 2 weeks later...

I went with Varget.

Has anyone experienced that 26.5 grns of varget will almost fill up to the top of .223 PMC brass?

Am I correct in assuming that Varget was designed to run as a compressed load also?

Fill me in.

Varget most assuredly will over-fill the case with 26.5gns. Thats why most don't use Varget for bullets under 62gn. It spills all over the press and you will get uneven loads because of the spillage. Its not that Varget isn't the powder for 55s, its just too bulky for the amount needed to get the 55s up to speed.

for 55 FMJs I use 2230, 25.0 gns, and get ok accuracy with them because they are FMJs. AA2230 was made for 223 52 & 55gn (even up to 62s) bullets in ARs. If I was shooting 55 or 52 gn JHPs for long range I'd still use 2230, but for long range shots I use 68gn JHPs with 25.0gn Varget. I like the way they push steel around and don't get pushed around by the wind as much.

for 55gn bullets you have these many choices from this thread. These are not all of the powders you could use, but I'll bet that you find one of these will work better for 55gn bullets than Varget.

H332

H335

Win 748

AA2230

Tac

jj