Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Revolver

ede

asking the proverbial stupid question. can a 9mm cylinder be fitted for a 38/357 revolver and the 38/357 cylinder swapped back? sounds pretty straight forward to me given my limited knowledge. figure i'd load .357 bullets in the 9mm so there'd be no or little issue with the bore size. thanks

well it kinda works, 9mm is a tapered case, so when it shoots the case expands and pushes back against the frame, now the brass is bigger than the cylinder and wont go back in as far, each shot causes more drag, several manufacturers have tried but for one reason or another they missed the boat.

We had a shooter last weekend using one that was converted. Nice looking setup, but it gets you thinking. I get alot of 9mm for free, so it would be great if I could shoot in a revo. I get 45 also, but it really has some kick.

Didn't Ruger make a SA revolver that had multiple cylinders? I would like to have a 9mm revolver myself.

Ruger did make their Security Six in 9mm for a short time.

I did find a S&W PC 686 in 38 Super that I hope to shoot minor 9mm with at local matchs this year.

Didn't Ruger make a SA revolver that had multiple cylinders? I would like to have a 9mm revolver myself.

Ruger did make their Security Six in 9mm for a short time.

I did find a S&W PC 686 in 38 Super that I hope to shoot minor 9mm with at local matchs this year.

snertly Mine worked with the clips I had and new factory ammo. The Wal-mart white box 115 came in at minor. I could never find any 147 to test. Good luck! later rdd

i have a Carmonized 686SSR and was thinking if all I needed to do was swap in a 9mm cylinder I'd do it, if there's such thing as moon clips in 9mm for a 686. near two years ago i decided I had all the firearms I'd ever need to compete with and then some and was going to start saving my money. So far it hasn't worked out too well.

Smith built a 5 shot model a while back which (if I remember correctly) used a special ectractor star (is that the proper term?) to extract spent casings. Charter is said to be coming out with a 5 shot in 9, .40 and .45. Too bad someone doesn't put out a 6 shot because with the price of ammo it might be a big seller.

Richard

i have a Carmonized 686SSR and was thinking if all I needed to do was swap in a 9mm cylinder I'd do it, if there's such thing as moon clips in 9mm for a 686. near two years ago i decided I had all the firearms I'd ever need to compete with and then some and was going to start saving my money. So far it hasn't worked out too well.

Two years ago you owned nothing but Glocks, Ed!! :roflol:

You've come a long way!! :cheers:

Hey Guys, might not be what you are looking for, but the 38 Short Colt will give you 9mm loading, bullet selection, you can use your 38 special moon clips, and they will be as accurate as you can load up using .357-.358 sized bullets.

We have a bunch of threads saved on this topic if you want to look them over. I think the one Festus has for sale right now is pretty cool, though!

See ya,

DougC

Just to fill in a little about Smith's other 9mm revolver. Doc540 referenced the five-shooter J-frame 940, which came with moonclips and wasn't practical without them. I had one, and once Smith rebuilt it with a new cylinder and barrel, it was a good gun but unpleasant to shoot, blasty and snappy.

They also made a six-shot K frame called the 547, which was a fixed-sight three- or four-incher with the spring extractor. It couldn't use moonclips and the only "speedload" option was HKS twisters. These are really pricy, now.

Most forum folks interested in conversions talk about Pinnacle Guns near Pittsburgh. He does a 9x23 conversion said to work with .38 Super and 9mm Parabellum as well. I believe it's about $250 or so.

I have a 940 Dash Nothing and it's the best thing going in a pocket gun. Mine will do 124 gr. cast bullets at 1230 FPS with easy extraction, from a 2" barrel. It is proof that S&W CAN build a great 9mm revolver; they just don't WANT to. I could never understand the concept of the 547. Why would anybody want a 9mm revolver that can't use moonclips? People tend to look at all 9mm revolvers with scorn and contempt. Why would anybody want a 5, 6 or even 8 shot 9mm revolver when a high capacity Glock will cost considerably less? That explains why I could buy my 940 with 30 moonclips from Cabela's for $299 and why S&W seems to have no intention of making them or any other 9mm revolver again.

Dave Sinko

Well, Dave, Smith had a lot of trouble with the 940 series. A lot. Many guns had to get new cylinders (like mine) and apparently the precision necessary to get a 9mm case to work in a revolver chamber what with all of the setback and headspacing issues was more than they cared to take on.

I imagine market pressure may someday cause them to reconsider, but given the enormous expense they suffered fixing so many 940s, I wouldn't blame them for thinking twice.

I'm glad yours works well, but a significant percentage of them didn't, and Smith installed a whole lot of cylinders at their own expense.

If I saw a 940 for three hundred bucks, though, I'd be wallet-out in a second. It's tough to get one nowadays for less than $600. Plus, Smith used up all of the cylinders they had so there won't be any more replacements in the foreseeable future.

I could never understand the concept of the 547. Why would anybody want a 9mm revolver that can't use moonclips?

According to this guy: My linkhttp://www.vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_547.html, it was produced so the Israelis could arm Palestinian police. Hey, I read it on the internet, it must be true!

Talked to someone at S&W yesterday, and they said "no more cylinders available", part #36026.

I got one of the last sets for my 60 that I have in the classifieds. Great pocket gun and no extraction problems with the Gold Dots I used. Also used 147gr Federal JHP found them more accurate.

It was a fun project gun but now I need something else so I need to raise some cash.

In my country, Thailand. 9mm revolver popular in IPSC shoot. Most shooters use S&W L frame (.357mag) and modified the wheel to accept 9x19 moonclip. We love M625 but local guns importer did not much interest to import. While plenty K & L frame here, to modified the wheel is our choice.

post-3829-126650782367_thumb.jpg

Received an answer today from Jim at FAMCO:

Doc,

Sorry this took so long, but we had to do some digging.

As for a cylinder sized for 38 special (at 17,600 psi for normal pressure and 19,100 psi for 38 Spl +P), we don't think making one even for 9mm normal pressure is safe (at 36,100 psi) much less 9mm +P (at 39,700 psi).

I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but its safety first at FAMCO Inc.

Regards,

Jim Kinkopf

President

FAMCO

Received an answer today from Jim at FAMCO:

Doc,

Sorry this took so long, but we had to do some digging.

As for a cylinder sized for 38 special (at 17,600 psi for normal pressure and 19,100 psi for 38 Spl +P), we don't think making one even for 9mm normal pressure is safe (at 36,100 psi) much less 9mm +P (at 39,700 psi).

I know this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but its safety first at FAMCO Inc.

Regards,

Jim Kinkopf

President

FAMCO

Doc540

Does this FAMCO make cylinders for revolvers and if they do how do I get in touch with them? I am looking for someone to make a 38 Short Colt cylinder for my 8 shot. I had my cylinder shortened and the forcing cone on the barrel extended. It works great but without the forcing cone in the cylinder it is just a straight bore to the forcing cone on the barrel. Even though I can shoot 2" groups at 50 yds I would just like to keep my gun a little cleaner and not lose so much gas out the sides. Call me crazy but if the price is right why not.

Revoman :D