Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would like to hear if anyone knows about how may rounds per year are(or were)fired in practice by all of the well-known GMs. Plus, even if you shoot in lower classes, include your personal round count if you want.

B class production loser. I have shot 6500 9mm in match and practice since I started loading 9 on 9/21 of this year. Once I get my private range membership straight I'd like to put in a min. of 500 practice rounds a week and see where that gets me, maybe crank it to 1K per week for a couple weeks, then taper off and go to a big match. We'll see.

When I was active and learning - around 40K a year.

Later on it dropped to around 25-30K a year.

Shooting less had to do a lot less with maintenance and a lot more to do with understanding that if I left a practice session wanting more I was better off. My practice sessions went from 350-400 rounds, down to right at 250 rounds. 250 rounds was never enough so I would think about all the stuff I wished I'd done. It also forced me to focus my practice sessions.

Like all the others have said - I too spent a ton of time dry firing. As an average "worker" today I can tell you that my practice sessions in season will consist only of dry fire. Only live fire will be at matches.

JB

Getting close to L-10 A, but not just yet. About 12K rounds of .45ACP so far this callender year. Wish I had more time. Dry firing helped more than ANYTHING else I have found so far. 1 hour atleast per day. Just wish I could do it in the car on the commute to work. :P

When I was full-time gunsmithing and practicing, 40+K per year. Unfortunately, that was three-gun, pin practice and shooting every customers gun that needed it. (Like the afternoon spent test-firing a .375 H&H that was leaving on Safari in three days. If it needed any more work I was going to have to do the work and test again. Agony.)

Now, "practice" is testing guns for articles, demo-ing techniques for students, and matches. If I get a few days in the weeks leading up to a match, I'm lucky.

Dry fire is my friend. And dry reloading, dry drawing and dry "That's a double" practice. :D

Not a GM, but I shot close to 2000 through my Limited gun in matches and practice. I shot close to 20000 through my Production gun. Then a plethora of 3 gun, or fun guns, or whatever probably another 10000 through them. I didn't really shoot as much as the previous 2 years. Those first 2 years I put around 50K-60K through a variety of firearms.

The year I spent with the goal of open GM as my sole focus went like this:

Monday, 30 min dry fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Tuesday, 200-300 rds live fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Wednesday, 30 min dry fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

thursday, 200-300 rds live fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Friday, 30 min dry fire am, bowling pin match pm (180 rds)

Saturday, local match or rest

Sunday, local match or rest

This was from december 02 to about september 03.

This will get anybody to M or better in a year. Will likely boost you a class level in a month or two.

When I went to two DF sessions a day I noticed an immediate improvement in my initial perfirmance, warm up was drastically reduced.

Now get going! :)

SA

Not a GM here either. I shoot about 500-600 rounds a week May through September and perhaps 500-750 a month in the winter. I do a lot of dry fire and I try to have quality live fire practice conducted with a purpose.

There can be a huge difference between the amount of ammo a decent shooter needs to expend in order to maintain their current level of proficiency versus what an up and coming shooter might need to expend to develop his/her technique.

FWIW, I would dare say just about any shooter that has average hand eye coordination, an understanding of the fundamentals, and can execute the fundamentals with proper technique (shoot a decent group with a workable grip, stance, etc.) could make Master in less than a year by following Steve's recipie for success, perhaps with fewer ingredients. It's the quality of the rounds fired, not the sheer volume.

I figure I shot about 8,000rds in '03. All of them in a competition of some sort.

I never once went to the range by myself to "live-fire practice" a skill. TONS of dry-fire though...like every freak'n day. When I get up in the AM, all puffy-eyed, I'll grab the gun and transition to and from mini targets on the wall. In the afternoon (before the wife comes home) I'll do the same but a bit more intense. At least once per week I'll strap the belt on and practice draws and reloads in the house. Then EVERY Sunday (except winter) I'll shoot a local match.

If I do live fire practice, It'll be 200rds max. I like to keep it fresh. I don't want any lazy, bad techniques settling-in during a long 500rd session.

Last year 50k, big improvement year. This year I will shoot 10K and just shoot for fun, next year 50K and my GM card. Most A's and M's can shoot GM classifiers's but to shoot them 3 times in a row and have 3 GM scores isn't likely. For me it is mental/confidence thing. I need the rounds downrange to be consistant at my "best" level.

Those tips that some of you shared was an excellent bonus! I need info like that to keep me from wasting ammo with little improvement. Right now I shoot 90% IDPA and shoot less than 6500rds. per year in practice. Increasing dry-fire to twice daily sounds promising.

It depends on your goals as to what you "need" to do.

I kept track my first big year. 57,000 rounds of .45 200 grain at 183 PF .I shoot a lot less now but try to shoot at least 25,000 a year between all guns. Try to dry fire at a 10 to 1 ratio to live fire.

I vaguely remember Todd saying 25,000 rounds a year would get you anywhere you wanted to go. I shot 15-20K this year with not a lot of dry-fire and went from middlin-A to middlin M.

Dave Dawson suggests "Shoot 500,000 rounds. By then you can't help but be a GM"

The year I spent with the goal of open GM as my sole focus went like this:

Monday, 30 min dry fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Tuesday, 200-300 rds live fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Wednesday, 30 min dry fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

thursday, 200-300 rds live fire am, 45-60 min dry fire pm

Friday, 30 min dry fire am, bowling pin match pm (180 rds)

Saturday, local match or rest

Sunday, local match or rest

This was from december 02 to about september 03.

This will get anybody to M or better in  a year. Will likely boost you a class level in a month or two.

When I went to two DF sessions a day I noticed an immediate improvement in my initial perfirmance, warm up was drastically reduced.

Now get going! :)

SA

THREAD DRIFT:

Steve,

Do you do any mental training (i.e. visualization, ego strengthening), and can you describe your physical fitness routine during this same time frame?

Thanks!

Bill,

My mental game is a work in progress, and is my main objective this year.

I went on the Atkins plan in december 03 and lost about 25 pounds by spring. 230 to 205. That helps a lot.

I do cardio on the ellipical and free weights monday and wednesday.

Tues and thurs are range days, usually.

I don't know about ego...I know what I'm capable of, but I also know I have to do it to live up to my own expectations.

I would rather shoot my best and lose to a better shooter than screw up all day and win...

I have done some visualization exercises, driving to matches and before shooting a stage. In fact, my 04 stage breakdown routine is:

Analyze

Strategize

Visualize

SA

Steve has put a lot of bullets down range in the last couple of years...on his trip to Grand Master. But, I don't think the number of rounds fired were all that important (Steve?). What seemed important was for him to identify a part of his shooting that needed work, then to turn that weakness into a strength.

As for his ego...he doesn't have one. At least not anything that he would allow to get in his way. I notice things about the people I shoot with, often things that they might improve. With a lot of people, I can't really tell them straight up. With Steve, time and time again, I could mention something about his shooting that he might want to address. Two to four weeks later...it's gone...fixed...improved.

Sure.

Flex is great about ignoring what went well and blasting me for what went wrong. I credit that for a huge portion of my improvement.

He is absolutely right about finding weaknesses. He told me last year my movement sucked. So I designed some drills to address each skill and did them until I felt like they were under control.

One thing about ego that I have learned:

It's important not to let one match's events define myself as a shooter. If I win a match or a stage, it doesn't mean I'm a great shooter. Similarly, if I tank a stage or match it doesn't mean I suck. It's just what happened that day, and I can usually find a reason why it went the way it did.

I am REALLY looking forward to 04's major matches, I hope to learn a great deal about shooting IPSC this year.

SA

...and I can usually find a reason why it went the way it did.

That is a key statement. There is always a reason. And, the person that seeks the "why" will be the one that is in the position to improve.

(I usually find the answer to why can be found somewhere between my ears.)

Steve that is such an awesome attitude. And it's also awesome that you have someone like Flex that can give you another perpective that you trust. What your post read is a major reason you made it to GM. The rest was good'ole determination and HARD work!!

Keep it up....