Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mag Issues?

cripple

My son has a STI Edge and regardless of what we do we cant get more than 16 rounds in any of the three 140mm magazines. We changed springs, followers, etc. Has anyone else had this issue or are we just doing something extremely wrong?

Any advice is appreciated!

You will need to change out the follower, spring and base pad. Bevan Grams or Bolen are probably the best followers at this time. For the base pad, your choices are Bevan Grams, Dawson or Bolen. Buy the spring from same person you get the follower from. This should get your magazine capacity up to around 18 or possibly 19. To get 20 rounds in the mag, you will have to send it to someone to be tuned. You can do a search and find several who are highly recommended on this forum.

Kevin

if the basepads, springs and followers have been changed to aftermarket units, usa a Uplula to get the last few rounds in.

How many coil springs are you using?

I use Grams 11 coil springs in my 40 s&w and get 19 reloadable and a tight 20 in all my STI mags.

Hello: Is it a 45acp pistol? I like to use either the Dawson +1 or SNL base pads or the Grams 4mm base pad. These will fit the gauge but you will have to check. The Grams spring and follower setup will give you 19 rounds. The Dawson follower and ISMI spring will give you 20 rounds. The Bolen setup will give you 20 but you have to make sure the follower doesn't fall over and make a salt shaker. The most reliable setup for the STI tubes is the Dawson one. I am talking about STI mags. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

You will need to change out the follower, spring and base pad. Bevan Grams or Bolen are probably the best followers at this time. For the base pad, your choices are Bevan Grams, Dawson or Bolen. Buy the spring from same person you get the follower from. This should get your magazine capacity up to around 18 or possibly 19. To get 20 rounds in the mag, you will have to send it to someone to be tuned. You can do a search and find several who are highly recommended on this forum.

Kevin

Sorry I should have been more specific. The mags already have Dawson Base Pads, Grahams Springs and Followers, but they are 13 coil springs. Can they be cut?

It is a STI Edge .40.

Thanks

Edited by cripple

Sounds to me like the follower or springs are not Grams. If we are talking about only 1 magazine, its possible, there is something inside the tube preventing the spring from fully collapsing. But it sounds like you have more than one tube and your experiencing the same problem on all of the tubes. I would suspect a problem with the spring, and I would buy new springs and try that. Your going to need to replace the springs in the future anyway, so it will not be wasted money. You should be able to find a picture of a Grams follower to compare your follower to, so you can confirm you have the correct one.

Kevin

Hello: Next question. Are they preban 140mm tubes or post ban 140mm tubes? The post ban are longer and would hold about 15-16 rounds. Also which Dawson base pads do you have? Are the Grams springs you have bent at weird angles? If so try to straighten the spring so it is all in line and not twisted. I have a new STI tube here and just put in the Grams setup with the Dawson +1 base pad and it holds 19 rounds with no tuning. It will hold 20 if I tune it. Thanks, Eric

Not only am I sure they are grahams, but I have removed the springs/followers from my open 140mm mags (also grahams) and I still have the same issue.

You need to post some pictures of the tubes with

a good shot of the side ribs, maybe with a ruler

along side or length measurement.

Post the spring and follower too and we should be able

to see what you have.

If you have the right parts you should be getting 18-19 pretty easy.

I have a friend that was having a similar problem. I could load them to 19 rds by hitting the mags down on my knee as I tried to seat a round. This may be different than what you are talking about but you may want to try it. The mags felt like they had some kind of coating on them that caused friction. Maybe it was just the finish of the stainless steel.

EG

My son had the same problem as you when he bought new STI 40/ 140mm tubes. It is the tube at the top where it transitions. We called Chris at STI and he had him send his tubes back. They came back holding the correct amount. Another indication this is the problem is even when you can load more, anything over say 15 is very difficult. My older tubes and the older tubes he bought later don't seem to have this problem. Call Chris unless you are going to send them to be tuned anyway. With Grams guts and Dawson +1's they should hold 19 easy.

Edited by z40acp

I had to squeeze a few in a vice. I had one mag that held 20 comfortably. I measured it and worked the other tubes to match. They hold 19 easily and 20 if I push it. I use 11 coil ISMI springs and Dawson pads. It is easier just to send them out to be tuned.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering....I ordered three complete 140MM magazines from Dawson...if all STI tubes are created equal? If not...that is if some are truer (more capacity) then where do I order from? I bought a gun on here that came with two magazines. These have bolen followers (guessing springs also) and Dawson SNL basepads. The most I can get is 18. I would definately like to get 19. At this point I have read several posts about the components and it seems to be clear as mud? I will be ordering completion components to rework the complete mags (only $8 more expensive than tubes) to obtain maximum capacity. I'm thinking Grams follower, spring and basepad. Hopes this gets me 19 reloadable without the tuning route. $125 for a single tuned mag seems rather excessive. Thoughts are as always....greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering....I ordered three complete 140MM magazines from Dawson...if all STI tubes are created equal? If not...that is if some are truer (more capacity) then where do I order from? I bought a gun on here that came with two magazines. These have bolen followers (guessing springs also) and Dawson SNL basepads. The most I can get is 18. I would definately like to get 19. At this point I have read several posts about the components and it seems to be clear as mud? I will be ordering completion components to rework the complete mags (only $8 more expensive than tubes) to obtain maximum capacity. I'm thinking Grams follower, spring and basepad. Hopes this gets me 19 reloadable without the tuning route. $125 for a single tuned mag seems rather excessive. Thoughts are as always....greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!

Received the Mags and the Bolen followers (from the Mags purchased with Gun) does not fit past the feed lips of the new mags. Should I get a dremel tool to the followers of try to adjust the feed lips. Kind of have other "stuff" to buy....belt, mag pouches, mag internals that I really don't want to spend the $$$ to send the for tuning. Any suggestions....should I buy a mag tuning kit? Is it very good...the kit and dvd? THANKS!

Kevin

Not in my experience. A standard STI 140mm tube with a Grams 11-coil spring and follower and a Dawson +1SNL or Grams 4mm basepad has gotten me 20 reloadable every time I've tried that combo....none were tuned tubes. R,

Kevin

Not in my experience. A standard STI 140mm tube with a Grams 11-coil spring and follower and a Dawson +1SNL or Grams 4mm basepad has gotten me 20 reloadable every time I've tried that combo....none were tuned tubes. R,

+1 except I don't like the Dawson base pads. I have had good luck with a Bolen pad too.