Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SC Sectional Match

3 quick notes about the match:

1. Yes, the match has a record turnout, but we are not full. Shooters who have shot the match in the past may remember that we have had empty squads. I hate that. Match Director Herb Jensen & I have decided to WAIVE the late fee until the match is full. See my website http://lchico.5u.com and select the link on the left for 2005 SC Section Championship for an application of other details.

2. I would welcome CRO or RO help, but what I really need is helpers. Those of you who shot past SC Matches know that I prefer for the staff to paste and reset steel, rather than the shooters. I assign inexperienced helpers to stages staffed with CROs and ROs who have major match experience. This is a great way for new shooters to get involved and shoot a major match for free. If you are interested in helping, contact me at LChico@msn.com.

3. The host hotel is full. If you are shooting the match & do not have a hotel room yet, or plan to sign up for the match I have an alternate hotel. This hotel is right across the parking lot. Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia NE on 1538 Horseshoe Dr. in Columbia, SC. Phone: (803)736-6400

Hope to see you at the match.

Linda Chico

working on another major match -- how many is that now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there was cover on every stage last year. My stage had a couple of tables under cover for bags.

When I left the range around 2:30 this afternoon there was no cover on any stage, so come prepared. However I wouldn't be surprised to see they've taken care of it, as it was obvious the day was far from over for many who were there. I'll find out tomorrow.

The stages look good. I'm really happy with mine.

hey guys,

Excellent match! The stages, facility, staff, weather, and atmosphere were all wonderful! I have attended a lot of section matches in the last few years, and I have to say that this was one of the best! I would like to thank the staff, RO's, and stage designers for a job well done. Not to mention that this was a shooting range with indoor plumbing!!!! No need to use a Port-O-Let!!!

Mark Dye

I had a GREAT time at this match. Nice people to work with! Neither of us shot well, but we had fun, and I got to MEET a whole bunch of BE'ers finally!

IMA45DV8 and Jamie came through on a squad - IMA is just as you would expect, but Jamie is an IMPRESSIVe young man with a heart of gold.

And speaking of young men, I finally got to meet Jake too. He's a good kid! I really liked him - even if he is much smaller than I expected :)

And speaking of smaller than expected, I met Jon Merricks too. I've talked to Jon on the phone several times and really expected a big burly mountain man type, alas, he too is just a skinny little kid :wub:

LEt's see, who else did I meet? Oh yeah, got to meet Turtle too. I'm sure there's more, but I'm beat like you wouldn't believe. We left South Carolina at 5:00 saturday and drove to Nashville to shoot a club match this morning.

For some reason, I didn't realize JFD was there - sorry JFD! What stage were you working?

Linda runs a top notch match folks - she is ON THE BALL! If you get a chance to shoot at SC next year, definitely go.

Just got home.....really good match, definetely worth the drive.

Got to meet a bunch of people.....Kath, I wouldn't be calling people small if I were you. ;) ;) :P

Shot pretty well on most of the stages but didn't do my job on the standards which cost me a ton of points, also had a little hiccup on stage 4 when I dropped my mag that cost me 40 match points....all in all though I'm pretty happy for my first major in Open.

I was working stage 8.

I spent months fabricating the props and they all worked pretty well. The Friday shooters had a little trouble, but I rerouted a cable and ended up with 5 reshoots needed Saturday for a jammed swinger. Should have rerouted that cable as well and the stage would have been perfect.

My shooting sucked and I really didn't want to shoot L-10, but my finish wasn't as bad as I figured it would be. Once again my worse stage was my own.

Pretty cool that the shooters voted my stage as Most Challenging to Shoot. Also got 80 votes for Most Fun to Shoot, so I came close to that award as well. A good learning experience for sure. Next year I haven't decided if I'll have another "prop heavy" stage or not, but it will definitely run 100%.

Linda and I were at the bar til after 3:30 AM, so I'm surprised she managed to accomplish anything Sunday. I was a zombie tearing down my stage the next morning but much help from the Mid Carolina crew let me get started on the drive home by 11:00. Right now I'm just numb.

Definitely a great match with great staff.

I think I saw Shooter Grrl in the squad ahead of me Friday, but she was looking pretty busy during my free moments. I figured I'd meet everyone at the bar, but there was only an handful of us hardcore types there. Not too surprised, as the staff was exhausted by the end of the match. We got really lucky with the weather.

I forgot to thank Flex who provided good advice when I was designing the stage.

I heard a lot comments during the walk throughs that my swingers and running man were slow and easy. Lets just say that the majority of those making the comments found out differently when the targets were scored. The stage was actually evil, as the speed of the props was by design. The last two vision barriers screwed up a lot of shooters who didn't really take them into account during their walk through.

I was happy I finally came up with a stage that gave the shooters options on how to shoot it. Shooters with perfect timing could get a great score, but any slip added a lot of time to the stage.

Max had that perfect timing and shot it over a second faster than anyone else. Jake also had a good run in Open. Travis Tomasie and Michael Seeklander figured it out in Limited, as both had killer runs.

Probably the worst performance of the match ended up being me as I was staggering/weaving back to the Baymont from the Travel Lodge at 4:00 AM while carrying the box of targets I won at the raffle. Figuring out the key card in my condition was an adventure.

How were the rooms at the Travel Lodge? I think a room closer to the bar would have been a better plan.

I think I saw Shooter Grrl in the squad ahead of me Friday, but she was looking pretty busy during my free moments.  I figured I'd meet everyone at the bar, but there was only an handful of us hardcore types there.  Not too surprised, as the staff was exhausted by the end of the match.  We got really lucky with the weather.

Yeah, sometimes I'm not real bright. When I saw that this was a 2 day match, my brain equated that to dedicated RO staff for both days :) As in, I could just be a shooter one day and just be an RO one day, NOT. There was dedicated RO's Friday - those of running the stages on Saturday :) After an 8 month layoff while Dave recuperated, I'm honest enough to admit that my stamina ain't what it used to be, and my scores definitely reflect that! I shot 2 stages really well, and those were in the morning while I was still a happy Grrl!

I will definitely shoot this match again, the stages ROCKED! I probably won't RO it again - I don't *LIKE* working that hard :blink:

JFD, Stage 8 was a very interesting stage and worked amazingly well. Just one suggestion. When you do the slider again put sticks or something on the sides of the target. When I shot it the target was unavailable the entire time it was in the opening except for the last 6 inches due to the wind blowing the target straight out towards the shooter. The one shot I got on it while it was visible on the move was probably over an inch long from bottom to top. Otherwise, it was a fun stage and put together well. The whole match was great and ran very smoothly and my squad members were a great bunch.Good shooting, J.L. Hardy

SC Sectional was a very god match - thanks to all for their hard work.

Shooter Grrl - Good to meet you again, eventhough we meet at Nationals before.

Bear1142 - Your performance on stage 8 was amazing. Can't wait to have the T-shirts made. Now repeat after me - taffy is delicious. B)

What a great match! It never ceases to amaze me how much hard work everyone puts into a match of this caliber and how glad they are to do it. Even the weather was great for those of us blessed enough to shoot on Saturday at least. Heart fealt thanks to all involved. Oh, and sorry about that terrible odor that I left behind. It was from my 'stinky' performance and it should clear up soon. :lol:

Good to see you all....

Now lets be honest, how many of you really blew your scores with Stage 2 "Up and Down Standards"? Working that stage was hilarious! Some of the "methods" for gong prone were better than watching SNL re-runs! And the brain jams some people have.... and the language they use!!!!!!!

Man, did I have fun!

Stage 2 ate a lot of people's lunch....and dinner as well. I saw lots of people who forgot to shoot strong hand (6 procedurals), put shots on the wrong targets (extra hits, mikes, etc). I contributed one of my mikes on that stage as well. :angry:

I tried adding a short section of slat to the target to prevent it blowing in the wind, but it had an effect on the speed which would have made it slower than the day before.

I personally thought the situation called for a reshoot, but the CRO had a different opinion.

The situation was definitely noted by me along with another bit of cable rerouting that would have eliminated the 5 reshoots for the jammed swinger. I'll blame it all on my "newness" to the sport and make sure it doesn't happen next year.

Of course next year I may scale back my efforts since I'm doing all this as a private individual, and everything comes out of my own pocket.

Jake, only 50 points....... Looks like Stage 2 did not burn you as bad as some others. One shooter gained 180 penalty points (6 misses, 6 extra hits, and 6 procedurals) on a 120 point stage. All from a relatively simple looking stage. Somebody had a twisted sense of humor!

JFD, I liked the moving array and just want to say thanks for all the hard work. That the mechanism stood up to 200 shooters with only 5 reshoots is not bad at all!