Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Highest Rank In IDPA?

Duane Thomas

Perhaps I am a slave to my experiences, but I just don't see IDPA Masters as being that common. In Washington state - and I could stand to be corrected on this - to my knowledge there are only five Masters in the entire state: myself, EmanP, Sandy Wylie, Darrion Holiwell, and Bobby McGee. When I shot the Idaho state match a few years ago, there was exactly one Master class shooter (a CDP guy) in the entire match.

Duane,

I can agree with your experience. At least in the clubs that I frequent in the North GA, South East Tennessee area, there are a small group of regular attending master class shooters. This group is by far a small percentage compared to the volume of shooters. On the other hand, if you look at the state matches in the south-east, it seems a lot of masters do come out to play.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot esp and ssp pistols about the same (they are very similarl to me, but I don't think I shoot enough of one consistently to "hone in on the gun"). I'm still shooting for fun, and currently happy to have my son come out with me.

Anyways, esp is ss, ssp is expert, not really pushing the master envelop currently.

Shot the other guns a couple of years ago. Don't remember the times/classes. What I do remember from shooting a GP100/38 in SSR and a GP100/357mag in ESR is that it takes me a VERY long time to put more bullets in ...

SSR - Expert

ESR - Expert

The other three I can't remember (been a long time)

At our matches we have one master, and a couple of experts that are close to master, the other twenty five regulars are pretty well dispersed in the other classes.

I would agree that at the local level, Master class shooters are not that common.

Dave McCall

This is the one I like best...

Stock Service Revolver Division - Master Updated by Classifier

Class Date Status Club Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3 Total

MA 2/3/2008 Current C0186 20.69 28.38 37.5 86.57

Pretty damned good for someone who has never shot a wheel gun in competition....huh? :closedeyes:

It could be that you don't see the idpa masters very often because they gravitate to ipsc and don't shoot many idpa matches anymore. The last two years I only shot two idpa matches, no local matches. I do plan on shooting 3 or 4 major idpa matches this year. Going after the STI money. I don't shoot the local matches because the low round count idpa matches aren't worth the drive(almost an hour drive).

All gun Expert.

I've heard some grumbling about not being in the right class with a few of them................... ;)

Hopalong

A11299

CDP Expert - (although I'm starting to get accused of being a sandbagger - NOT. I do my dead level best on classifiers and major matches.)

these guys from Texas and use to live in Texas.....yeah right WE believe your current standings are in the place they should be... :roflol::roflol:

Maybe it's my perception but where I shoot at there is a dare I say a "surplus" of IDPA MAs. Usually at least 4 or 5 for a monthly match and I've seen as many as 10. And while there are some guys who got moved into that class based on match performance and honestly arent "shooting their class" yet, there's a lot of major match wins and high Nationals finishes represented too. I am of course speaking of the mecca of IDPA shooting........The Range in Oxford NC.

It could be that you don't see the idpa masters very often because they gravitate to ipsc and don't shoot many idpa matches anymore.

I'm glad you brought this up. I have often wondered the same thing.

Do you think?

There are IDPA Masters a-plenty in my neck of the woods. Some also shoot USPSA; some don't. But that is very true in reverse as well -- maybe much more so. I have a tough time with that hypothesis.

Merlin

Don't gloat over a typo. If you didn't shoot it... you didn't earn it :) Dig up a wheel gun out of your yard down there in the swamps of Corpus.. and I'll gladly whip your butt... ESR- SSR--- IDPA -USPSA ------your choice.

Oh BTW---- at about the high end of the Sharp Shooter rating --- in these parts.... many (not all) people begin to "play" with the mandatory classifier.

Sorry...........I know none of the Enos posters would ever do such a thing--- but I've heard it has happened:)

Merlin

Don't gloat over a typo. If you didn't shoot it... you didn't earn it :) Dig up a wheel gun out of your yard down there in the swamps of Corpus.. and I'll gladly whip your butt... ESR- SSR--- IDPA -USPSA ------your choice.

Oh BTW---- at about the high end of the Sharp Shooter rating --- in these parts.... many (not all) people begin to "play" with the mandatory classifier.

Sorry...........I know none of the Enos posters would ever do such a thing--- but I've heard it has happened:)

Never shot a revolver at all..... Not really gloating just kinda of funny... As to whipping my butt. Maybe. Maybe not. ;)

I am of course speaking of the mecca of IDPA shooting........The Range in Oxford NC.

Humility truly suits to your demeanor Master Byerly.

We have that number at local matches as well - evenly split between all 5 divisions. Imagine that - MA shoot more matches. Crazy, huh?

I am of course speaking of the Mother Church and Delphi of IDPA shooting - S&W and HGC.

Craig

Made Master in 2002 after 3 years of working up the ranks.

SSP MA (match bump)

CDP MA (match bump)

ESP MA (classifier)

Vincent Zontini

A03438

Current IDPA member but during the last 4 years I've only shot IDPA a few times a year. My only major during that time is S&W 2007 (2nd Master SSP behind Dave Sevigny and Gordon Carrell). I haven't shot IDPA or USPSA more than a handful times in the last 2.5 years.

Thanks! (maybe)

In case the irony was in the statement about irony, the point of the info:

1) I'm a current IDPA member but have not recently been an active IDPA shooter.

2) Back to the other thread about an IDPA GrandMaster class. I'm one of those guys that gets beat by Sevigny (or insert top shooter name) and I still don't think IDPA needs another class at this time. I'd rather see consistent enforcement of rules at major matches which means a better SO training system. From my friends who still shoot a lot of IDPA majors it seems that this is still an issue.

I was considering these threads related. Maybe I'm just way off base.

So if you shoot a classifier and qualify as a master, do you then call yourself a master? Even if you don't shoot at a master level in competition. Or must you shoot at master level consistently?

SSP MA Match bump

ESP EX Classifier

CDP SS Classifier (Missed EX by this much! <holds fingers very close together> :lol: )

C Marthey

A17430

I bet you could have made CDP EX if you would have worn your big boy gamer pants and your extra medium shirt !!

wasn't the SSP bump right before nationals too ?

Edited by nwb01

I'm finding it really interesting to see the ranks of those who've responded to this poll. Currently we have more Masters than anything else, lots of Experts, a decent number of Sharpshooters, and just about nothing, comparatively speaking, in Marksman and Novice. Guess that goes to show that it's the higher skill levels that gravitate to a place like BrianEnos.com. That willingness to search for knowledge is probably why they're shooters at the higher levels. I do find that a bit upsetting though, because there's an immense amount of knowledge here that could benefit the lower level shooters, as well.

I suspect a lot of people might be like me, in that what ever level they are shooting at is not acceptable so they do not broadcast it. Had I not just made Expert, I probably would not have answered. It's still new. I have the bug that tells me anything I do, I could have done better. Very unhealthy attitude in many ways, but very motivating for competitive shooting. Once I make 5 gun Master, I don't know what I'm gonna do in IDPA.