Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine round count critical?

Broncman

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

Dont you have some lab dummies to paint? LOLOLOL

Clearly I am avoiding that since I am on here hahaha. 

7 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

He prefers the hooray for me, ef you debate technique.  But that's okay.

To be fair, you guys are the ones saying there is no heat out here without ever shooting here. At most majors (lvl 2s) in this area there are between 2-4 GMs and 4-10 Ms. I would say that seems pretty average for the country, isn't it? As an aside, congratulations on making M. (sincerely)

12 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Yes. Make sure there is at are least some M class heat to keep you in check. Heat, not just M class dudes wasting ammo. 

I will see what I can do. Unfortunately most of the open shooters here locally are switching to PCC, which makes me cry.. There used to be like 5 Ms or higher at all of our club matches, but one doesn't shoot too much anymore and two of them have switched to pretend-rifle full time, so now there are usually only 2 or 3. #deletePCC

3 minutes ago, Jht05016 said:

Its all important @Gooldylocks.  Just like you said.  And i can tell you right now, as someone who shoots with national champions and world champions monthly, the topic of reloading on a 28 rd stage comes up often.  And the consensus is always, not to reload.  If its important enough to factor into the equation of a stage, 28 rds with some steel and long shots (very common around me), it matters having the capacity to do so.  If i told them, hey my mag only holds 27 so im going to pop a reload right here nice and easy.  They would have the same reaction i would, laugh, say that sucks and ask of they need to borrow a 170.  Let there be no confusion, when you have the ability to not reload.... you dont reload.  It probably isnt going to put you 10% ahead of someone of equal skill.  But it gives you an advantage.  And when you are the only one without that advantage, you decrease the likelyhood of winning.  And when you already spend untold thousands a year in ammo alone.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NOT GET A MAGAZINE THAT HOLDS 29 TO 30 RDS? 

This is James sighning out.

Or jumping off a bridge which seems preferable to this argument.

If it is a 28 round stage with steel and tight shooting, I am going to do a reload 90%+ of the time. Planning a reload at 16-24 vs taking 3 makeups and having to do a reload on the fly that you weren't planning is worse, do you not agree? I am not, and never have, been telling people to not get mags that hold more ammunition. What I have been saying this whole time, and stand by, is that the difference between 26 and 30 isn't going to win you a match. 

This thread started as a new open shooter saying "is 21 in my 140s enough?" The short answer is a resounding "yes" as far as I am concerned. The longer, better answer is obviously if you have the money obviously upgrade your mags to 23/24 and 29/30. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

To be fair, you guys are the ones saying there is no heat out here without ever shooting here. At most majors (lvl 2s) in this area there are between 2-4 GMs and 4-10 Ms. I would say that seems pretty average for the country, isn't it? As an aside, congratulations on making M. (sincerely)

Thank you.  But to also be fair, I never made an argument that mentioned anything having to do with your own shooting or your area, nor did I mention mine.  I agreed with Max's comment because, yes, it was funny.  You did take a shot at me personally by way of my classification.  But I'm still okay with that.

8 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

2-4 GMs and 7-10 Ms is my local 32 person match.

Well that is way ABOVE average. Which is awesome. Clicking through Practiscore looking at every match labeled "USPSA", I see Ms and GMs as being quite sparse. Most matches have 1 or 2 at most. But this is a weird tangent. 

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

Thank you.  But to also be fair, I never made an argument that mentioned anything having to do with your own shooting or your area, nor did I mention mine.  I agreed with Max's comment because, yes, it was funny.  You did take a shot at me personally by way of my classification.  But I'm still okay with that.

My apologies. Personal attacks don't really help a conversation at all. I know where you, and James, and Craig shoot so it seemed kind of implied, since you all shoot with a lot of really talented people down there. I read it as "well if you shot somewhere like we do you wouldn't think that." I see it was just a joke. Again, sorry. 

Yes... having to reload when someone doesn't is a competitive disadvantage.

Yes... having to shoot a stage less aggressively because you don't have spare rounds is a competitive disadvantage. 

The cost of a stock mags vs. A higher cap one is trivial because the resale value is higher and it's pennies on the dollar compared to matvh fees and travel expenses.

Even if you don't need something 95% of the time... the 5% is worth since major matches are won by fractions of seconds on a stage.  So yes... Round count is critical.

Question to all you "one reload doesn't matter" people... what happens when you fumble that reload? 

Sure... MOST stages have a place that makes the reload feasible without losing much if at all... until you fumble that thing, drop your mag... and now are doing a standing reload.

How is this even up for discussion... smdh.

Personally I'm all for having as many rounds as I can.

That said I think it really depends on the stages as to how much it would matter. High HF stages with lots of shooting on the move it could make more difference then low HF stages with long runs between positions. Really it's probably going to come down to execution more than anything. Could one fumbled reload cost you the match? Sure. But at the same time would you say you shot a other wise perfect match and that one reload what the only thing that cost you the win?

Ok, shot my first open match yesterday. It was a disaster. When I built the gun,I only had one magazine, a 20 round STI.

Well last week, my 170 and the other 140 STI new style came in.

Due to weather, I have not had a chance to practice much with the mags. The 170 would not run at all and when loaded fully the 140's had issues.

I finally got it all figured out after all day in the shop. But that is another story.

Soooo.... Stages were 22, 24 or 32 Rds.  Not having the big stick running hurt. Not having a 140 that would hold more than 20-21 hurt. 

I will spend the extra money now and Max out the mag capabilities. 

Don't be surprised if those new style sti mags nose dive like crazy.  They sti ll have not worked out the bugs in them.  Send them back to sti and have them send you ones that work, which might be near impossible.

Edited by Glk21C

On 1/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, Glk21C said:

Don't be surprised if those new style sti mags nose dive like crazy.  They sti ll have not worked out the bugs in them.  Send them back to sti and have them send you ones that work, which might be near impossible.

STI making anything that runs is far fetched. 

I sort of agree with both halves on this. capacity is not going to be the difference between you slaying balls or getting stomped on. but I would much rather have the capacity if I can.

I will say one thing is worth remembering. the number 1 consideration for all your gear should be:

"does it run 100% (or very near) of the time"

reliability is the first order of business for me. so if I have a mag that runs 29 rounds all the time from first round to last round or I have a 30 rounder that will sometimes nose dive the second round it feeds, or will not feed the last 2 rounds then that mag can f#$k right off! I'll take the reliable 29 over the 'sometimes runs' 30.

I do think guys that just buy a stock STI mag and run it with 26-27 rounds are leaving something on the table. With a fairly proven package of grams spring and follower that basic sti mag holds 28 and with the largest pad that still fits the mag gauge 29 is quite achievable with great reliability. 

That mag is now killer on ~25 round stages. You can start with 30 in the gun and know that if you get to needing a reload your stage is already boned at that point (5 backups...). shooting a 25 round stage with confidence vs the guy who either has to reload OR has to really count his shots is a definite mental advantage if nothing else. 

The stock 170 with 27 rounds is not so fun on a 25 round stage. all stage you'll be worrying - don't back up shots, don't miss etc. and will likely shoot super slow and still end up needing a reload as well. mainly due to the mental thing.

Sure, great shooters are great shooters with 23 round 140mm mags. but I think having at least one big stick that can reliably run 28 or 29 rounds is a good thing to have. given the money we spend in open even if you go the $$ route and buy MBX it's still peanuts really. 

On 23/01/2018 at 11:11 AM, theWacoKid said:

Seriously?  I see it every week. 

lol. yeah I can think of 2 without even trying. one very recent stage. 24 rounds, less that 5 steps in the whole stage. Shooting that with 29+ is great. shooting it with 22+1 would suck. I can think of a 26 rounder all shot from one spot. reloading there would have really sucked hard. 

I shot my second Open match this past weekend. Two gen 2 STI 140's and 1 Gen 2 170. The mags were all new except 1 of the 140's. It was a disaster the first match. Extraction and feed issues.

I got the extraction issues fixed and in practice, all mags ran fine. First stage of the second match I started out with the big stick.

Malfunction on the second shot. Actually took the time to look and the round had nosedived and stuck. Shooting the Berry's 124 hollow base thick plate flat point. Shortest widest flatpoint out there.

Bigstick went back in the bag. Gun ran great rest of the match. A few stages I really could have used it.

So now I have a TTI base and Grams follower and spring on the way with a box of different Bullets as well.

Hopefully now the rest will just be on me!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, OrondoShooter said:

Considering our WA championship had multiple 40 round stages, it can be worth it to get more than 21 rounds. Of course, you'll be better suited to just plan your courses and reloads so you're never in slidelock. 

That match was quite silly, and semi-irrelevant since no level 3 or above match can require more than 32 per stage. Also, I still did 2 reloads on a couple stages just because it gave me extra leeway even though I start with 30 (29+1) and reload to 24. 

It didn't cost me to do those extra reloads compared to those that only did 1.

Edited by Gooldylocks