Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry firing with G17... Any effective way or tool?

taymag

Put a small piece of cardboard in between the slide and the barrel hood to keep the gun just slightly out of battery. This way you won't have a dead trigger. It'll move back and forth with your finger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, Kettlebell said:

I use a piece of rubber band between the breach face and barrel hood.  I cut rubber band into 1/2" to 1" sections.  Use as thin and flat a piece as I can and still keep it out of battery so the striker doesn't fall.

I do this exact same thing and it works great!

I put a piece of paper between the frame and barrel hood, as mentioned above.

For mags i loaded some dummy rounds. No powder or primers and load 10 in each mag to simulate the weight for production.

I purchased those scaled down targets and put them up in whatever room I'm in and practice shooting them and doing reloads with a timer.

On 1/8/2018 at 6:07 PM, Kettlebell said:

I use a piece of rubber band between the breach face and barrel hood.  I cut rubber band into 1/2" to 1" sections.  Use as thin and flat a piece as I can and still keep it out of battery so the striker doesn't fall.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, jsoupene said:

I do this exact same thing and it works great!

Me too. I just discovered this trick in Steve Anderson's book and love it. 

I used to use a spacer to hold the slide out, doesn't feel the same obviously, doesn't seem like it really benefited anything, no wall, no break, no real resistance, and I had to force myself to bottom the trigger out instead of just going through the motions.

Then I read somewhere to just pull on the dead trigger basically as hard as you can quickly and keep your sights still, this seems to work pretty well. I think it was someone saying that's what Vogel does, and it seems like maybe Stoeger advocated it on more recent podcast, I could be wrong. 

32 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

I used to use a spacer to hold the slide out, doesn't feel the same obviously, doesn't seem like it really benefited anything, no wall, no break, no real resistance, and I had to force myself to bottom the trigger out instead of just going through the motions.

Then I read somewhere to just pull on the dead trigger basically as hard as you can quickly and keep your sights still, this seems to work pretty well. I think it was someone saying that's what Vogel does, and it seems like maybe Stoeger advocated it on more recent podcast, I could be wrong. 

Agree not great for trigger practice but works for sight picture and target transitions. In my mind, still worth it as it indicates a commitment to the sight picture and a cue to move to the next target. It's all simulation anyway since recoil is also a missing ingredient (particularly appropriate as I'm shooting .40 major in a poly frame).

• 2 weeks later...

For those that use the dry fire mag, is there any benefit besides getting a trigger click? I use a piece of paper in the slide and dummy rounds in my mags and can't remember ever dry firing without including reloads which makes me think the dry fire mag would be kinda pointless for dry fire practice. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dry fire mag really helps getting proper trigger control, transitions, one shot draws etc.  you can’t do reloads with it, but it is is a great tool if used as part of a dry fire regimen.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:06 PM, 3djedi said:

Put a small piece of cardboard in between the slide and the barrel hood to keep the gun just slightly out of battery. This way you won't have a dead trigger. It'll move back and forth with your finger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I do the same thing 

On 2/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, Beef15 said:

Then I read somewhere to just pull on the dead trigger basically as hard as you can quickly and keep your sights still... it seems like maybe Stoeger advocated it on more recent podcast, I could be wrong. 

He did, and he does. Ben is a big supporter of learning to work the trigger as hard and as fast as possible without moving the gun. We don't do slow trigger presses in USPSA, so why train on them? If you can slam the trigger back without moving the gun and you're gripping it really really hard in dryfire, good things will happen on range day.

Feeling a wall and feeling a reset don't happen in the trigger pull you use on 95% of our targets.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 7:21 AM, MJinPA said:

For those that use the dry fire mag, is there any benefit besides getting a trigger click? I use a piece of paper in the slide and dummy rounds in my mags and can't remember ever dry firing without including reloads which makes me think the dry fire mag would be kinda pointless for dry fire practice. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the dry fire mag. I felt it was not worth the money. It does click and kind of mimics the real trigger but it's not the same as the real trigger pull. For me, if it's not the same, then I'd rather use the piece of paper trick for free. The dry fire mag doesn't drop free either. 

I've also had a cool fire trainer. Again, not worth it to me!  The laser it comes with is out dated IMO. Thats something that was the thing to do 10 yrs ago before people learned looking at the targets for hits is a bad.  Calling shots is good!  

The cool fire does cycle the slide and does produce a decent amount of recoil but again, not really realistic. You can't use dummy loaded mags for wieght.  It was a pain to keep running too.

My advice for anyone wanting to dry fire is to just dry fire. Any gadget is going to be a waste of money and is probably going to train someone kind of bad habit. 

Get a mag of dummy rounds if you can. That's it. Just accept the tirgger going dead. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Dry Fire mag and use it for dryfire drills that do not require reloads. I prefer the trigger pull  [ it feels more realistic, and is adjustable ] to what u get when using something to keep gun out of battery.

However for drill that require reloads, I stick something in the chamber to keep the gun out of battery, and just pull hard on the trigger.