Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Pistol

RevolverJockey

So I ended up with my first open pistol. Everything seems to be in good working order and I got a mountain of brass with it. All good things. Now for the bad news.. the optic is on the rails. I love the novelty of the retro style. Does anyone know if Tasco will attempt a repair of one of these, where to find a replacement, or if a similar mount can be had for an old Comp M2? I know I could get a micro or Cmore, but I want to stay old school. Any help would be appreciated.

551EE4A3-CF69-4871-9BCC-3B5BFE22A41A.jpeg

Edited by RevolverJockey

Yeah. I have access to a Bridgeport and a CNC mill. I know I could update, but like you said there is something about the old stuff. I would love to come across an M2 and mount that someone wants to part with, but I am not holding my breath. Lol. 

The current tube is 30mm and the mount has 3 holes, ~.625” apart. 

Edited by RevolverJockey

where did u find this grandpa?;)

25 y. ago it was one of the best scope mounts.

i used this type of scope pdp3 for training gun  and pdp2  for competition gun and  this type mount from aluminium  15 years  .scope seats very low.

scopes still alive .

The one I have is still alive but barely. Dry firing causes it to cut in and out. Looks like the mount is just 1/4” aluminum with the rings bolted to it. I could waterjet out a new plate and repurpose the rings if need be. Now all I need is a basket weave belt, some old cop duty pouches, knee socks, some short shorts, a foamy mesh trucker hat, some oversized mouse ears and maybe a sweet headband and I will complete the ensemble. I have watched one too many Michael Placxo videos. 

26 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

The one I have is still alive but barely. Dry firing causes it to cut in and out. Looks like the mount is just 1/4” aluminum with the rings bolted to it. I could waterjet out a new plate and repurpose the rings if need be. Now all I need is a basket weave belt, some old cop duty pouches, knee socks, some short shorts, a foamy mesh trucker hat, some oversized mouse ears and maybe a sweet headband and I will complete the ensemble. I have watched one too many Michael Placxo videos. 

i meant the gun:lol:

i prefer  Maria Guschina on  utube  :lol:

Edited by yigal

It was a hand me down from a forum member I have known locally for about 15 years. I suspect there are lots of these sitting in the back of safes. Back when I was shooting revolver, I would occasionally shoot an old PPC M10 with speed loaders just for the laughs. People got a kick out of it. 

41 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

It was a hand me down from a forum member I have known locally for about 15 years. I suspect there are lots of these sitting in the back of safes. Back when I was shooting revolver, I would occasionally shoot an old PPC M10 with speed loaders just for the laughs. People got a kick out of it. 

one of ours club members works in gun shop  and somebody bring to shop  original colt 1911 gun from 1914 .condition new .  for storage. this gun will finish his life rusting in shop safe.

in my country price for this gun is under 100 usd:o  nobody want them ! but he refused  to sell it.

Edited by yigal

Old school is the best school

that’s an old world class pistol carbon fiber mount, made by George Hueing

the hole spacing was different from everything else, but back then everybody made stuff to their spec

that mount should work with most 30mm tube red dots, the last one I used was a adco eclipse 

one place to check on the old 1st gen caspian frames is under the grips, they were prone to crack from the frame window under the grips to the grip safety cutout, caspian and other gunsmiths fixed it by weld a reinforcement plate in there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread, but I actually picked up a very similar open gun about six months ago.  Same exact mount (Hueing carbon fiber), shortened PDP3, and a Caspian slide with unknown barrel/comp.  Only difference is that mine is on an old Tripp Research 2011 frame.  Good to see someone else with a retro open gun!

Not trying to hijack your thread OP. But I too recently got my first open gun and it had the original “big dotsight on it. And while I thought about rocking it old school....I decided that was not for me.

So I brought it up to date with a new sight mount, sight, and a few other updates. Glad I did.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Here are some before and after shots of my rig:

IMG-7063-Copy.jpg

IMG-7058-Copy.jpg

20181205-17391156-Copy.jpg

20181205-173810-Copy.jpg

Edited by BigBamBoo