Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your favorite load for your PCC?

Regarding the 9mm trigger:
I have found that the standard .223 carrier is "thicker" than the 9mm carrier.
Why on God's green Earth would they make 9mm bolts thinner is beyond me.
TACCOM is one of the only companies that make their 9mm bolt as thick as the .223 bolt.
Thus, you are able to use ANY trigger that works in your .223 without issue.

Not to thread jack, but what do you mean that the carrier is thicker on a 223? I’m having the same reset issues too.
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, kriller134 said:

Not to thread jack, but what do you mean that the carrier is thicker on a 223? I’m having the same reset issues too.

The distance from the bottom of the bolt (the hammer cocking rail) to the pin holes for the trigger is often larger on some 9mm bolts..  For whatever reason some manufacturers deviated from mill spec dimensions and the bolt does not cock the hammer far enough to catch on the disconnector hook, allowing the hammer to follow the bolt. 

1. CK Arms, 16" barrel, Hiperfire 24 3G in the mail, Taccom adjustable recoil setup with cushion on order.

2. 125gr RN SNS coated 

3. 3.6gr Titegroup 

4. CCI SPP 

5. 1.15 OAL

6. So far so good in the 300 rounds I've put through it.

7. Haven't put it on the bench yet.

8. Relatively snappy. Need to dial in the Taccom setup and play with the powder charge

9. Waiting on the new trigger before answering.

10. About 3" at 25 yards-ish.

I need to drop the charge a little bit and see what it does. Averaging a 145 PF and 1166FPS, so a little too fast for what I'm wanting to do with it. I've got about 20 pounds of Titegroup and I use it for all my pistol loads, but I've never liked how dirty it is. It is even more noticeable in the PCC so I'm thinking about switching to something else but I havent looked into it enough to know what I want to go with. This thing is a blast to shoot!

A lot has to do with the low pressures that we generate making minor with a long barrel.  TG is very dirty, WSF which has a reputation as being a pretty clean powder is dirty too.  

It seems that N320 may be the best solution for cleanliness, but that comes at a co$t.  

I run a Taccom ulw currently. I use Titegroup 3.6 with a 125gr bullet to get around 130pf. 

Im building a second PCC with a 16" barrel. What's the increase in fps you guys are seeing between these barrel sizes using the same loads and what's considered reasonable fps from a 16" barrel?  

I seem to remember having trouble getting down to minor at the beginning of the season when shooting a psa I was using.  My 900 fps loads were like 1050 out of a full sized barrel.  I kept downloading and it began to seem like too low a charge.  Curious what you all are doing. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2017 at 11:50 AM, MikieM said:

Funny you should mention that. I had been thinking the same thing, lately. I'll see what I can come up with, although snow is in the forecast.

Mikie: you have N340 115-grain load results you could share?

21 minutes ago, SirLoin said:

No, sorry.

The load I'm currently using is: 4.0 grains of N320; 124 grain RN from RMR bullets; WIN cases; CCI primers. OAL is 1.125 inches, and PF is 130 on a cool day. The powder charge may change to 3.8 grains as the weather warms up.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:55 PM, MikieM said:

A couple of suggestions. No guarantees.

I would be more concerned about the trigger itself rather than the bolt. Many of us have had gotten good performance from the Hiperfire 24C trigger. It's worth considering.

I would also think about changing powders. With the 14 inch barrel you can take advantage of the push of a slower powder rather than the pop of a fast powder like Titegroup. WSF, WST, N320, or several others, could work for you. 

I'm also running a Hyperfire trigger on my JP 9mm, with excellent results.  No issues at all.

My load uses N350 with a Hornady 124 gr. XTP bullet.  Very accurate, and I like the softer "push" of the slower powder compared to N320.

Edited by STIboy
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, pbc44 said:

What AOL are you loading at.  Just going to 115s and trying to save farting around.  Thanks for your help.

Pete

Tough question as the chambers across the many manufacturers vary greatly.  I'd recommend you do a push test on yours before loading any ammo and discovering it's too long. 

Ask me how I know :D

On 2/19/2018 at 9:07 PM, SirLoin said:

No, Sir, I don't.

All I have is the 124 data I use in the PCC and the 147 info I use in the Shadow 2.

Also, I have since changed my mind regarding powders for the PCC. I think a blow-back system is best served with a fast powder. Not only for safety but also for best performance.

I personally wouldn't go any slower than WSF, and of course the one I like the best is N320. It is expensive, as L9 mentioned, but I think it's worth the cost.

Having said that, the new powder Sport Pistol may change all that.

5 minutes ago, STIboy said:

Not trying to argue the point, just asking what's your reasoning?

You mean the part about fast powders? 

In the PCC, when the gun is fired, the pressure spikes for the first couple of nanoseconds then tapers off until the bullet exits the barrel. During the time the bullet is in the barrel the slower powders (after the initial spike) exhibit higher pressures than the faster powders do. With a too light bolt/buffer this could be problematic. Or at least the potential is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some function testing this weekend.

Lead Star Rampage.. 24 ECL  / 15" 

95gr MG / 7gr HS6:  Ran great... definitely a push versus a snap.  Very accurate.

147gr Zero / 3.3 N320: Ran great... more snap but still accurate.

No chrono #'s yet..  

Sticking with the 95 for now.. will post Chrono data later.  

2 hours ago, sclagg said:

Just did some function testing this weekend.

Lead Star Rampage.. 24 ECL  / 15" 

95gr MG / 7gr HS6:  Ran great... definitely a push versus a snap.  Very accurate.

147gr Zero / 3.3 N320: Ran great... more snap but still accurate.

No chrono #'s yet..  

Hmmm.  May need to go back and retest 90 and 115 gr heads with HS6...

Oh, and forgot to ask, what barrel length are you using?

Edited by STIboy
On 4/30/2018 at 6:43 AM, sclagg said:

Curious how dirty HS6 will be at these pressures, was never a really clean powder at Major pressures.

I have been shooting 5.1 of WSF with the 95's and have been pretty happy.

8 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Curious how dirty HS6 will be at these pressures, was never a really clean powder at Major pressures.

I use HS6 100% for my open guns... it is fine around 7 grains or higher.  The round I'm testing is my steel challenge / Pro Am load.  

I clean every 2 weeks so problems.  

I can't say how the HS6 will affect the AR yet..  I'll run 750 - 1k in the next 2 weeks while just oiling and see how it does.  

I do believe the light bullets and slow powder is the ticket but my testing so far is light.  The feel of the round for each person is unique... some may like the heavier bullet and fast powder feel.  

I'm an old fart and I shoot 40 Open.  Use 10 Grs. behind a 135 Bullet.  HS-6 is very dirty and I'm pushing 1270.  Have given up chasing rainbows and will live with the dirty.  PCC is Vit N320, at 4.1 Grs. with a 115 bullet.  Very clean with a 140 PF.

1 hour ago, sclagg said:

I do believe the light bullets and slow powder is the ticket but my testing so far is light.  The feel of the round for each person is unique... some may like the heavier bullet and fast powder feel.  

I am a believer in the light bullet & slow powder method.  I tuned the gun to work with the light weight projectiles and it feels great and is flat.  WSF is cleaner than HS6, but it is faster too.  Curious to see how that works out for you.  Next match you can run a few of mine through your rifle and see how they feel/compare for a point of reference.  

10 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Are you running a comp? I have a large volume of 115's and am thinking about running them with a comp in my new Ruger PCC. Gotta use them up one way or another.