Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3 Gun pistol? 9mm or .40?

rbuck

19 minutes ago, rbuck said:

Which is better for 3 gun, 9mm or .40. and what gun would you get?

9mm is much better, IMHO - cheaper, higher capacity, etc

I'd start with whatever gun you happen to have lying around right now ...

try it and see what others are shooting - you just might like YOUR current

gun, a lot   :) 

Ive been shooting my sti in 40 with major power factor ammo for awhile now & although you give up capacity a little,(most my mags hold 20 & 1 21 all reloadable).  Knockdown is very reliable as well as long shots.  I have no doubt if I hit steel, its going down.  My splits & transitions are as fast as any middle of road shooter with 9mm.  Occasionally I wish for a 9mm sti for few more rounds & to save a few pennies on reloads.

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You are seriously recommending someone shoot .40 Major in 3-gun, over a 9mm

because of "knockdown on long shots"? ....    ????

I only said that's what I do and gave the reasons why. You can recommend anything you want I really don't care

Use a 9mm. The only reason to use .40 is if you have a .40 for USPSA limited major that you want to practice with or you don't have a 9mm to start with. Glock 34, M&P9L (M&P9 Pro), or an XDM 5.25 to start with as then you don't have to worry about the safety when transitioning. 2011 in 9mm if you can afford it.

Edited by EliteGuard

you will get faster follow up shots with weaker ammo due to lower recoil/muzzle rise.  most if not all steel i have seen is set to fall with factory 9mm ammo.  if you reload though, think about getting something in 40 as that gives you more options if you decide to shoot uspsa at some point.  the 40 minor i shoot feels softer than the factory 9mm i shoot.  with 40 you'll have 2-3 rounds less in mag capacity but most if not all the time that won't hurt you as you can reload while running between arrays.

as far as gun/brand, i' see pretty much everything out there.  sti 2011 (1911 double stack) in edge or eagle (also dvc limited and 3 gun, marauder, apeiro) is very well represented.  lots of glocks and s&w's.  i'd start with what you have and ask and see folks at matches and what they're using.  most will let you fondle and shoot their guns.

About 95% or more of the guns in a 3 gun match are going to be 9mm.  This includes the guys who can shoot whatever they want.  There are guys running their 40 IPSA pistol or the occasional 38 super open pistol.  Polymer framed striker fired pistols, as well as 2011's, are in ample supply at matches 

As far as I know the steel at 3 gun matches is calibrated with 9mm.

9mm is cheaper.

If you have a Glock 35 or something similar already just run it.

On 8/10/2017 at 5:34 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

You are seriously recommending someone shoot .40 Major in 3-gun, over a 9mm

because of "knockdown on long shots"? ....    ????

This. The STI DVC 3-gun pistol comes in one caliber, 9 mm.

Unless you are planning on using it for limited major, 9 mm is the only logical choice 

Like the others have said.. 9mm, and I'd probably be loading some 147 gr bullets over some titegroup.  If you don't already have a pistol I'd be looking at a 9mm.  Second thing I'd be looking at is what gun fits me well, what feels good to me, and I'd be looking at major manufacturers. There  are some decent guns at a decent price but not much aftermarket support for them.  I have a friend that was dead set on a CANIK pistol.  The pistol itself is decent, but it gets carried around in a case because he cannot find a holster that's worth a hoot. I'm not sure if he's looked for mags/extensions etc. So that leaves the big 3,  Glock, Smith, Springfield. That's what I'd suggest for buying a new pistol for 3 gun. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a 40, because I shoot USPSA Limited major often. I don't think you sacrifice much as far as capacity goes. There is usually sufficient space to make a reload. However, I am building a heavy ass steel gripped 2011 to shoot 120pf 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm partial to STI as a brand, but 9mm hands down (more capacity and less felt recoil).  It's a little cheaper as well, but if you have a .40 I wouldn't "not" shoot it just because it's a .40.  Shoot it if ya got it.

.40 is good for power factor and scoring purposes in uspsa etc. If not for that It would be a safe bet that most everyone would shoot 9mm. You have everything to gain by shooting 9mm and if your worried about knocking down steel go with 124 grain instead of 115.