Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-handed "flip and catch" unload

On August 31, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Lior said:

Personally I just rack the slide from its front serrations with the ejection port facing downward, letting the round drop into my hand. Now that I'm playing with Open Division this is no longer doable!

Not gonna tell you how to live your life, but that is what causes the most out of battery detonations of them all, and your hand is right in the kill zone. The slow rack and roll it out into your had can make the primer hit the ejector, and kablam you have a hamburger hand.

I flip and catch, then hold the gun about halfway out of battery from the front serrations, because that is as open as I can get it before I hit the scope mount haha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooldylocks, are out of battery detonations a common occurrence in your part of the world? I've never seen one here despite carrying guns for a quarter century and no shooting instructor has ever warned us against burgering our extremities. But then again we don't reload here.

• 10 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, a matt said:

Anyone ever end up DQed for catching a round via the imfamous flip catch.. 

Not sure what rule any reputable RO could quote to justify a DQ.  So long as they re-rack the slide to show the RO clear they are fine.

On 7/4/2017 at 5:11 PM, a matt said:

Anyone ever end up DQed for catching a round via the imfamous flip catch.. 

you certainly can't get dq'd in uspsa for flip and catch, but if you sweep yourself or someone else while doing it because you are dumb or not paying attention, you get dq'd for that.

Update to my original post...

Shockingly, flip & catch works great with a Tanfoglio for a lefty, too.

Honestly the key to not pissing RO's off by catching your ejected round is to then hold the gun open and let them see. To unload per their commands.

It's the flipcatchhammerdownholster guy who gets their backs up, along with the ones who habitually sweep themselves or lean way over to chase errantly ejected rounds they need to just let go.

Dont be that guy.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 2:45 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Update to my original post...

Shockingly, flip & catch works great with a Tanfoglio for a lefty, too.

Honestly the key to not pissing RO's off by catching your ejected round is to then hold the gun open and let them see. To unload per their commands.

It's the flipcatchhammerdownholster guy who gets their backs up, along with the ones who habitually sweep themselves or lean way over to chase errantly ejected rounds they need to just let go.

Dont be that guy.

See that is a problem, you did nothing wrong but your scared of pissing off an RO. If in any match you are worried about pissing off an RO ( for any reason espically when they have no reason to be pissed of) you are not thinking about the match and your gonna come up short. 

Edited by a matt

5 hours ago, a matt said:

See that is a problem, you did nothing wrong but your scared of pissing off an RO. If in any match you are worried about pissing off an RO ( for any reason espically when they have no reason to be pissed of) you are not thinking about the match and your gonna come up short. 

I actually don't agree with that at all - I've never had one comment on how I clear the gun.

My post is simply directed at those who are.

I miss read your post,  my fault...

I agree with you and I have never had an RO say anything as long as I show an open and empty chamber.  Thanks 

Edited by a matt

I love flip and catch threads!

As a recent sell out, I mean convert to PCC I've taken great pleasure in developing the perfect flip and catch for my rifle when shooting handgun matches. 

Most of the time I bounce the ejected round off my chest before catching. 

Time spent practicing fundementals is so provincial?

Seriously, to the OP, good on ya!

as a regular competitor im sure you are neither sweeping yourself nor breaking the 180. 

The debates about slow rack into hand over ejection port, vs forceful slide rack are essentially trench warfare. 

Happy shooting Amigos!