Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using VV N330, N340, N350, or 3N37 for 9MM 147 gr coated lead?

leam

The VV load page seems to recommend N330/N340/N350/3N37 for heavier (147 gr) bullets. I know folks seem partial to N320, but for those of us not wanting to push SAAMI specs or load Major, are the above workable? Using a SIG P320 full size with about a 4 inch bbl.

Thanks!

Leam

An extremely broad rule of thumb with a boatload of caveats is generally that at the same power factor, ammo that uses a faster burning powder (such as N320) will recoil less than ammo that uses a larger amount of slower burning powder (such as N340). Of the ones you have listed, N330 or 340 will be most appropriate, while the others may be basically overkill. Side by side, my ammo made with N320 or Titegroup is more pleasant than ammo made with Power Pistol or Silhouette (which are closer to N340/N350), but honestly if you just need something to shoot, it's not going to be so massive a difference as to fret about it too much.

With so may respected people giving advice, it's had for some of us to decide which way to go. My understanding, about faster powders like titegroup and N320, were that they may not be appropriate for heavier bullets (147) since they build pressure very fast and it takes longer to get the heaver projectile moving down the barrel. My impression was that these were more appropriate for 115 and 124g bullets. Power Pistol and N340 were, what I thought, more appropriate for the 147s because they build pressure slowly. At the same time, the slower powders may be still unburnt by the time that a lighter projectile leaves the barrel and produce more smoke and flash.

I'm getting the impression that many mixtures work, just that some are more safe that others. As for me, I'm just not comfortable with fast powders for heavy bullets. I've seem some calculations that show you can get really high pressures with titegroup with a small reduction in OAL or just a few more grains of powder. I messed up some 124's with titegroup and a short OAL. Someone did some cals and showed I was at 45,000 cup. For someone like me, shooting production minor, I just don't see any need to go there.

Edited by PiratePast40

There's heavy and there's HEAVY. 147 handily makes minor with Titegroup and N320 (I've checked several thousand times) but may not do so with Clays or N310 (which are crazy fast). .45 ACP, on the other hand, Clays and N310 will both make major with a 230 all day, and that's heavy in the ACP. Anymore, I shoot 147s with 4.4 grains of Silhouette or 4.2 of Power Pistol because after a winter with the 625 everything else seemed like a squirrel fart. There are a great many variables in play.

I wouldn't shy away from combinations that others use with great success because of the reduced possibility for error. Any error has the potential to be a gun-ender: the key as with any reloading practice is to not screw up.

I wound up with a pound of N350, supply in these hinterlands is iffy. The plan is to load a few and see if I can test this winter, and then start cranking out loads for the spring season. Since I also shoot a 45 ACP with 230s, the N350 can go there if it doesn't work for 9 MM.

I appreciate all the advice, thanks! Will let you know how things turn out.

If you can find it !!

N330 is and will be the best 9mm powder you can use for soft loads!

I shot many GSSF matches with the Rem 147gr Match FP bullet. Over 3.7grs of N330 and if I remember correctly OAL was 1.100

I would load the rounds as long as I could in glock 9mm mags and not have them hang up in the mag.( never had a feeding problem with these loads)

I just wish I could find N330 now! It as scarce as hens teeth. I now am using TG . N340, and unique. All work ,But only if I could find the elusive N330!

Jeff

A friend used N330 with a 147 and said it was great. I've looked for N330 for the last couple of years with no success. Not sure they even import it now. I'm using N320 with a 147 Bayou bullet and it works great. It's in and out of stock, just keep watching and you will find some.

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2015 at 7:46 PM, GlockCanMan said:

Using 3.1-3.2gr of N320 with the 147gr bullet is far from pushing SAAMI specs.

A sidenote if you're looking for the cleanliness, softness, and consistency of N320 but don't like the price or can't find it?

Nobel Sport Prima V. Powder Valley runs "free hazmat if you buy X pounds" on it regularly.

Feels just like N320 and runs almost as clean. At half the price. And grafs and powder valley generally have it stocked. My loads with it have always had an SD of less than 10 (usually 6 or 7) through a Dillon measure on a 650.

i'M a  v  user  in and out.load  40  and 9   with most  of  the  ones  mentionned  . i  save  my 320  for  my  40's  and  i  use  340,3n37  which are  slower  powders

.  i'm curently  loading  my  9mm rounds  with VV340.  3.7grs  with a  jacketed  FMJ -RN  is  enough  for  production PF  while it gets  you  a little  more  recoil  than the  3.5grs  of  VV320  i  used  to  shoot  before  deciding  to  save  my 320  for  my  fourthy's.

i'm also going to   get a  4  pounder  of  VV310  .after trying 3.1grs at 1.130  under  a  147 i'm definitely  goin to  work a  load  with  it....it's  faster  than 320,so  one  must be  carefull  with 310  ;    at 3.1grs  i  haven't seen  a  flatened  primer,and the  feel  is  great to  me.  very fast  slide  action with less  perceived  recoil   and  muzzle flip. however, there's no  data  for  9mm and  vv310...so it's  all research while  the  3.1grs  load  was  suggested  to  me  by  a  user  of  this  site and it  worked  fine  with nothing  to worry  except the  very  dry  bang lol.