Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Settling on a division... how did YOU decide?

Fatso

13 hours ago, Fatso said:

I walked around the house in my gun belt with empty mags & a dry gun. I practiced reloads every day (almost) for about a year.

Nobody in my family understands why I do that too. I guess I should have been more specific. I'd rather spend more time shooting than reloading while on the clock. Reloads are still critical, since I'm shooting against other limited division competitors.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was advised to start in limited because it allowed me to load to capacity which helped with stage breakdown and required less gear (mags and mag pouches). I started with a Glock 34 shooting minor and transitioned into production after a couple of months. I like shooting production because in this division gun handling and accuracy are paramount. Plus it puts you at a serious disadvantage score wise so it keeps competing for club level overall wins exciting. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, taxil343 said:

I was advised to start in limited because it allowed me to load to capacity which helped with stage breakdown and required less gear (mags and mag pouches). I started with a Glock 34 shooting minor and transitioned into production after a couple of months. I like shooting production because in this division gun handling and accuracy are paramount. Plus it puts you at a serious disadvantage score wise so it keeps competing for club level overall wins exciting. 

This is an excellent tactic, IMO.  I frequently recommend to new shooters looking to get serious in USPSA.... but a 35, snag a 9mm conversion barrel, some springs, and an ejector.  Shoot limited minor until the reloads are up to speed then cross over to production.  Once comfortable in production and lusting for higher levels of gamesmanship, buy a reloader (for 40) and a smattering of accessories for the gun & shoot Limited.  Once you've grown tired of the Glock trigger, sell the whole kit and buy a 2011 off of the Enos classifieds!!!

2 hours ago, Fatso said:

This is an excellent tactic, IMO.  I frequently recommend to new shooters looking to get serious in USPSA.... but a 35, snag a 9mm conversion barrel, some springs, and an ejector.  Shoot limited minor until the reloads are up to speed then cross over to production.  Once comfortable in production and lusting for higher levels of gamesmanship, buy a reloader (for 40) and a smattering of accessories for the gun & shoot Limited.  Once you've grown tired of the Glock trigger, sell the whole kit and buy a 2011 off of the Enos classifieds!!!

Only problem with buying a 35 is you're stuck in Limited or have to start loading .40 minor to shoot Production competitively. Conversion barrels are illegal for Production division. 

Only problem with buying a 35 is you're stuck in Limited or have to start loading .40 minor to shoot Production competitively. Conversion barrels are illegal for Production division. 

Dang! I didn't know that about conversion barrels. Suppose that makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Fatso said:

Dang! I didn't know that about conversion barrels. Suppose that makes sense!

Yep. Aftermarket barrels are allowed in production as long as they are the same caliber, length and contour as the original. 

So I went to train today with a few buddies of mine. I went between my new-to-me Edge Open 40 & my Edge Limited gun. I'm still not sure which division I'll shoot.

Anyway, a homie of mine was shooting his much beloved XD--the one he's been shooting for five years of USPSA. And he's plenty fast with it....

Just for kicks, I hand him the Limited gun with minor-just-short-of-major rounds, and he proceeded to put in his best time of the day by a strong 2 second margin.

Yeah... it's definitely about the gun. "Cheating!" Ha!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, Youngeyes said:

Here's some help for you in deciding your division. Posted on another Forum...B)

In USPSA, there are 6 official recognized divisions, and each one of them has a dedicated following. Each division has a unique flavor and personality, and each USPSA division says something different about the dedicated shooters in that division. For fun, we’re going to take a look at what shooters think their USPSA division of choice says about them, and then what other shooters think it says.

Open
What you think it says: I am on the cutting edge of handgun technology and am sporting the shooting equivalent of a Ferrari F1 car. I’m so awesome.
What other people are thinking: That open guy is too lazy to freakin’ reload and just hoses everything. Of course he’s fast, look at all that gay crap on his gun.

Limited
What you think it says: This is where real skills are tested – the combination of technology and iron sights makes Limited the flagship division of USPSA.
What other people are thinking: Why doesn’t that guy just give in to his gamer and shoot open instead of half-assing in Limited? Maybe then he’d get a gun that didn’t break all the damn time. Or maybe not.

Limited-10
What you think it says: We have all the technology of Limited, but choose to shoot a lower capacity to stretch our skills and focus on stage strategy.
What other people are thinking: Why doesn’t that guy just shoot Limited or Production? Seriously, L10 it the lamest division ever.

Production
What you think it says: I choose to compete in the deepest field in USPSA, to test my skills against the top Production shooters in the world.
What other people are thinking: If that guy thinks he’s going to beat Dave and Bob with a 30 dollar Uncle Mike’s holster and those flappy nylon mag pouches he’s out of his mind. I guess he’s too cheap for Limited.

Single Stack
What you think it says: I am honoring the classic design given to John Moses Browning by God Almighty and shooting a proper 1911 with minimal customization. Truly, I am upholding the line of great pistoleros such as Jeff Cooper.
What other people are thinking: Ugh, there goes that 1911 guy. I’m so tired of hearing about John Moses Browning from him. I bet he carries a freakin’ Glock.

Revolver
What you think it says: I am a Jedi Knight of shooting. I navigate 30+ round courses with a mere six rounds.
What other people are thinking: Why? Just…why would you do that to yourself? Glocks are cheap! Shoot Production, man! We can save you.

And finally, here’s what dedicated IDPA shooters are thinking about all of us: “Look at those freaking gamers with their gamer-ness and their games.”

:lol: Love this summary!!!

shot limited minor for some time, then major, then switched to open 

open iis NINJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

everybody loves ninja. 

I never understood prod, you got so many awesome divisions why would you choose prod. its like they say you can race all the custom cars you want in any way, but you also got a skoda division,and everyone goes YAY SKODA division. 

I'm shooting my first match on the 26th. Being from CT I am limited to 10 rd mags all the time so I am Planning to shoot production with my HK p30L because I love it and shoot it really well.  Only change I'm making is installing a set of Dawson precision sights (black rear, fiber optic front) for quicker target acquisition.

should be fun!  

2 hours ago, Graves14 said:

I'm shooting my first match on the 26th. Being from CT I am limited to 10 rd mags all the time so I am Planning to shoot production with my HK p30L because I love it and shoot it really well.  Only change I'm making is installing a set of Dawson precision sights (black rear, fiber optic front) for quicker target acquisition.

should be fun!  

It will be!  I think you're doing the right thing in both division and sights.  Report back on how you enjoy it afterwards!

I shot IDPA for a year but had to take a break due to a bad car accident. I'm older and beat up physically so I don't want to deal with the stupid IDPA gun restrictions. I'm going to give USPSA a try and my favorite guns to shoot at SAO CZS or Tanfoglios. I want to use a RDS because the eyes are getting older. I'm thinking about Carry Optics. I got into the guns later in life. I was into offshore fishing big time but had to move to the desert and quickly got into guns after an incident where I was looking at the wrong side of one. My goal is to challenge myself and get as good as I can while having fun. I'm not sure yet which guns are legal for carry optics besides the popular striker fired handguns.

Well I really haven't been able to decide on 1 division. I'm thinking I will end up in at least Production and Limited. Maybe open as well, but that will be decided by how well the sweet talking of the wife goes. 

2 minutes ago, MrTuna said:

Thanks,
The rules say that the optic has to be directly attached to the slide. Does anyone know if this includes dovetail mounts?

Great thread emoji1303.png

It does include dovetail mounts. I believe the terminology used is to specifically prohibit frame mounting optics as in Open.

It does include dovetail mounts. I believe the terminology used is to specifically prohibit frame mounting optics as in Open.

Thanks a bunch! It could get expensive getting milling done.

5 minutes ago, MrTuna said:

Thanks a bunch! It could get expensive getting milling done.

If I were just trying CO on for size I wouldn't mill it either. But on a dovetail mount the dot will be a little higher than ideal.

If I decided CO was for me then I would get it milled to get the dot lower. :) 

If I were just trying CO on for size I wouldn't mill it either. But on a dovetail mount the dot will be a little higher than ideal.
  If I decided CO was for me then I would get it milled to get the dot lower. [emoji4] 

Yeah that's what I am thinking too. [emoji41]

If I decided CO was for me then I would get it milled to get the dot lower. [emoji4] 

That's what I'm doing right now, have a Springer precision dovetail mount on my shadow. May get a spare slide milled in the future for a nicer red dot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have been shooting handguns for about 5 years. I keep dipping my big toe into the competition waters and then pulling back. When I first started it was IDPA SSP. I had a few unpleasant experiences in that venue and thought that perhaps this (handguns) wasn't for me. But after some reflection I decided to take a different path forward.

I purchased a revolver thinking that I would use it in IDPA (6 shot 38 with 4" bbl). I kinda took a turn down steel lane, shooting local steel matches and so I added an 8 shot revo to the stable. My plan was to shoot revo in USPSA local matches so I started gearing up for that. Then I was hit by a bolt of lightning and heard a voice telling me to put a dot sight on my 8 shot revo and start the process of hitting steel with a bit more regularity. So that means if I want to shoot USPSA with my 8 shot it's open division which I'm not having positive thoughts about.

So what do a poor boy do? I have a glock 17 from my folly into IDPA so I decided that my limited foray into USPSA this year will be in  (drum roll.....) Production. The decision really comes down to the fact that I have the gun and stuff but I have upgraded to a DAA holster and Ghost mag pouches on a DAA belt. I know I should concentrate on 1 gun at a time so I'm not going to do a lot of production shooting this year maybe 2-4 local matches. So in summery, production due to time and cost. But still if I add up the amount of money I have in my modest production set up it's still a few bux.

• 2 weeks later...