Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 why slidelock??

TANFARM

I hope this is the appropriate section for this question.....If shooting a 2011 in Limited class...why have the slide lock NOT lock back on your pistol ?

it seems if you run out of rounds it would be easier to reload with the slide locked back....any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages....rebuilding my mags.....

Thanks 

Well for starters in Limited and Open you should never run out of ammo, so no need for slide lock.

If you want to get your gun running 100% with the slide lock functioning you will probably need a different follower and you'll end up loosing one round of capacity in the mag. That or you may occasionally get premature slide lock with a round still in the gun.

Yeah over insertion is the main reason.  You can really damage the gun if you cram a mag in with the slide locked back.  I wasn't a huge fan of it when I first switched to a 2011 but that was when I was terrible at counting shots.  I'm in NY so counting shots really matters here.  It sucks but it is what it is.

yes risk of damaging gun when jamming in a mag with slide back.  thought is that we should have enough room/time (in Limited) to plan reloads running between arrays to not run out of ammo and have to reload with the slide back.  in idpa, L-10, some steel matches or the like, that luxury of choice isn't there, or at least as much.

One more reason besides the damage that can happen is the premature slide lock.  If you tune your mag to load more than its original capacity, tendency is it will have a premature slide lock even if it has one or two rounds still on the mag.  Deactivating the slide lock will prevent this problem.

Another issue not mentioned is when the slide is released from slide lock it may not have the energy to chamber the round completely. If you pull the slide back to chamber the round you are wasting time.

Rich

You can counter the over-insertion problem by installing a mag release designed to prevent that.  IMO, you should not be slamming your mags in with that much force anyway. I know you have to do that with the max number of rounds in the mag and the slide closed, but why.  My mags will all fit 21 rounds, but not reloadable unless I really whack them.  So I put 20 in and they reload easily, without a whack.

Some events and clubs require slide lock, so it is important to me to have that occur properly when needed.  I mostly use MBX mags.  I have two sets of followers and springs for each.  The race follower that comes in the mag when purchased is designed to not lock the slide back, even with an unmodified slide stop.  The other follower is designed to lock back, but at the cost of one round of capacity.  Changing out the springs and followers takes only 20-30 seconds each.

The TTI followers in my 1st gen Infinity mags requires more work.  Unmodified, they lock the slide back with a round still in the mag unless you file down the nib on the follower.  Do it right and it locks back on empty.  Remove it entirely and it won't lock back at all.

For USPSA shooting there is always a good place for a mag change that does not cost you time.  I've never run dry in a match.  The point about running dry and going to slide lock is flawed.  With slide lock disabled, if you lose count and empty the gun you will hear the dreaded click.  Best case is you drop the mag, seat another and rack the slide.  That takes the same time as, or slightly more than operating from slide lock.  Worst case is you thought the click was a failure to fire, rack the slide and get a second click.  There goes your time on that stage.