Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My switch from plastic to Tanfo

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I am slow... I always remind myself that you can't ever miss fast enough to win... Then I feel better about my c classifier because I muffed a mag change. I actually missed the gun entirely trying to go too fast and flung a full mag about 10 feet... Yuuuuup. Awesome. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

58 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

Whenever I am slow... I always remind myself that you can't ever miss fast enough to win... Then I feel better about my c classifier because I muffed a mag change. I actually missed the gun entirely trying to go too fast and flung a full mag about 10 feet... Yuuuuup. Awesome. 

You say it like it's a problem or even unusual!

Update:

I'm determined to improve my first shot times and to learn to feed this thing. As an experiment I switched back to bullets-forward from bullets-out, which resulted in an instant gain in consistency.

First mag pouch has a rake to align with my forearm, the rest are vertical. I'll practice hard with this for the two weeks until my next match.

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

You know I was looking at the mag pouches and was like that's the last mag pouch. I completely forgot you were left handed. Derp

bullets out may be what all cool kids are doing but it takes a lot of dry fire. I used to work on a drill that utilized a plate rack that was draw one shot reload one shot reload one shot until I cleared my mags. I may do the same thing again but it helped me nail reloads and the first shot from a reload was quicker. 

I could also reset the drill ten times without having to stop and reload.

11 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

You know I was looking at the mag pouches and was like that's the last mag pouch. I completely forgot you were left handed. Derp

bullets out may be what all cool kids are doing but it takes a lot of dry fire. I used to work on a drill that utilized a plate rack that was draw one shot reload one shot reload one shot until I cleared my mags. I may do the same thing again but it helped me nail reloads and the first shot from a reload was quicker. 

I could also reset the drill ten times without having to stop and reload.

What a great drill! I will definitely be working on this one. Thanks

It can be changed up. I used to run it in a diamond pattern as well. Furthest was 20 yards sides were 15 and closest was 10. Shoot reload on he move to a new position and repeat. Flat footed reloads only get you so far. This gets you reloading forward and backward at obliques etc. you will get tired though

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

Flat footed reloads only get you so far. This gets you reloading forward and backward at obliques etc.

I'll begin practicing moving loads in a few weeks, of course, but I am micro-focused on two things right now:

1) A faster accurate stationary draw & DA shot

2) A clean, crisp static load.

Those are the low hanging fruit: the glaring holes in my game.

If a guy's blistering-fast 0.9 sec standing load is consistent, his moving ones usually don't suck too badly, even if they aren't jaw dropping.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Agreed. You have to crawl before a walk and walk before a run so at some point you'll end up progress passed the standing reloads

You act like I'm the new kid. I used to do an insane amount of dry practice with the M&P... so this is all familiar territory.

However, it *is* the first time I've switched guns. Figured it would be a good idea to regress to the biggest gaping weakness in my skills with the new gun, and progress from there. ;) 

What helped me (not trying to convince you to go bullets out again) is haul ass in dry fire, go ahead and flub some reloads...
On the clock, I've never missed a reload with the tanfo *knocks on wood*, being that in live fire, I'm too busy looking for more targets or moving, that I'm not pulling off sub second reloads like I'm always trying to do in practice... unconsciously going a bit slower than deliberate practice.

so going a bit slower in live fire = mag goes in every time.
Kinda like the "accuracy vs speed" mode argument... if you go 110% in practice with some success, your 90-100% match mode should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 metric targets set and do a draw, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots.... until the belt is empty and each target was dry fired on twice.  that also works the da/sa transition.

Like MemphisMechanic, i went back to bullets  foreward and holding the gun much lower. Seems the up high puts the gun into the bifocal transition.

Gaa! Reloads stink.

5 minutes ago, emjei said:

Besides looking "ben-cool" I dont see any advantage of bullets out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Gives me more room between the mags, better area to grip them, and allows for angle adjustment a bit more freely w/ the space between the magazines.  It took a week or so of dryfire to get used to the new setup,  now I won't go back.

26 minutes ago, emjei said:

Besides looking "ben-cool" I dont see any advantage of bullets out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My rearmost magazine is about an inch further around my back now. Had to spread them all apart a bit more. 

Saving real estate on a 34" belt is the reason I went to bullets-out in the first place.

Unlike SCTaylor... two months worth of dryfire still didn't find me as consistent. Switching back took me all of ten minutes of dryfire.

I shot bullets-forward with lots of dryfire practice from 2007-2016, an apparently I really do prefer that setup.

I should add I've only be competitively shooting since May of '16 and didn't have the muscle memory that other folks have.  It seems to be one of those things if you start out a certain way,  you figure it out cause you don't know any different/better.

I'm playing with all sorts of options on gun position while beginning to learn to load the new blaster. Here's "stupid low and as closer to the mag pouches as it's reasonable to get" just to try something new:

I'm becoming a believer in the lower & closer reload like Alex Gutt, Storger, and WJM all seem to utilize for this platform. Loading high in front of my face / chin is remarkably inconsistent with the Tanfo.

If I decide to stick with this, I'll do it closer to body centerline and work on reducing unnecessary movement of my shoulders and torso.

My suggestion (and I'm no expert, but I try to learn the why's of the how's), after watching Stoeger's videos, and taking his classes, he would emphasize to only move what needs to move.
Watching him do it, there is a little movement at the hip, but most everything else is pretty stable.
It seems your head and shoulders are doing a LOT of moving.
Try to get it to where your arms are the only thing moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro