Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will carry optics be permanent division?

jeremy kemlo

I was going to mill one of my M&P slides for an optic. This may be a stupid question but is carry optics a permanent division? I don't want to put money into a gun and then find out that they have decided there is not enough interest  and then scrap the division. 

How much advantage is shooting a heavier cz vs an M&P?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think it will be. They want to get more sponsorship opportunities from the big manufacturers and this division will get a lot more people to run those guns in matches. There also seems to be a lot of interest from open guys who may want to try something else but don't want to give up their dot. 

There were only 76 entries at CO Nationals, compared to 371 at the Production Nationals.  Since it's still provisional at this point, you may want to try to build something that can be converted back to irons in the future.

Can you buy a CORE slide by itself?  Would it be that much more than paying to have a slide milled?

I am in California so a core is out. I put an add in the classifieds here looking to buy just a core slide but have had no response. I could dove tail mount something but I don't like the idea of ithe optic being so high. I wanted to shoot my production M&p at the same match and have the index be close. 

31 minutes ago, JAFO said:

There were only 76 entries at CO Nationals, compared to 371 at the Production Nationals. 

lol, we still have revolver and L10. I don't think CO is going anywhere anytime soon. There are lots of folks shooting it that didn't go to nationals, and lots more folks planning to at least dabble in it and check it out. 

I was not a big supporter of the idea initially, but now that we have it, I will probably get an optic i can use on my 22 steel challenge gun too and try it sometime next year.

47 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

lol, we still have revolver and L10. I don't think CO is going anywhere anytime soon. There are lots of folks shooting it that didn't go to nationals, and lots more folks planning to at least dabble in it and check it out. 

I was not a big supporter of the idea initially, but now that we have it, I will probably get an optic i can use on my 22 steel challenge gun too and try it sometime next year.

Good point.  So far we've only had two or three folks come out for it, but lots of people talking about getting a dot for one of their guns.

Burris FF3 and CZ dovetail mount is on my Christmas list...just wanna see what all the fuss is about.  And it'd be a more rewarding tool to teach first time pistol shooters...and maybe reinforce some good trigger prep habits of my own.

Keep Production Optics...err, Carry Optics around for a while.  My eyes will eventually get old enough to shoot with red dots only...

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Better watch out there Moto .... Once you go open you never go back .... :).  Even with my new Shadow's 10X bushing and putting out 1" 25 yd groups I still shoot open ... :)

1 hour ago, Nimitz said:

Better watch out there Moto .... Once you go open you never go back .... :).  Even with my new Shadow's 10X bushing and putting out 1" 25 yd groups I still shoot open ... :)

lol, i have zero interest in open. I don't even like RO-ing open guns, much less wasting 3x the price of a real gun to buy one.

At last Sunday's 8/28/16 we had as many CO as we did L10. There were 8 in each which was 2 more than SS.

8 doesn't sound like much until yo realize that is 10% of the participants. Also we were missing a couple of the regular CO shooters.

I have the old fart eye problem and have found I enjoy shooting CO more than Prod. So I for one am hoping CO will be a permanent devision.

woof

On August 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM, jeremy kemlo said:

I was going to mill one of my M&P slides for an optic. This may be a stupid question but is carry optics a permanent division? I don't want to put money into a gun and then find out that they have decided there is not enough interest  and then scrap the division. 

How much advantage is shooting a heavier cz vs an M&P?

I know you said that a CORE is out, and I saw your classifieds ad, but couldn't you purchase a slide only from S&W directly? Do they not sell the slides only? Seems like since that isn't a firearm, just a firearm part that California law should allow for such a purchase. But I don't deny that I am ignorant of their law situation. 

9 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I know you said that a CORE is out, and I saw your classifieds ad, but couldn't you purchase a slide only from S&W directly? Do they not sell the slides only? Seems like since that isn't a firearm, just a firearm part that California law should allow for such a purchase. But I don't deny that I am ignorant of their law situation. 

Can't get one from smith and Wesson. 

4 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Can't get one from smith and Wesson. 

Super lame. Well in that case I would probably buy a dovetail adapter and just use that. the whole sight over bore thing is pretty much garbage anyway, essentially all the top dogs in Open division shoot vertically frame mounted Cmores and do just fine.

10 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Super lame. Well in that case I would probably buy a dovetail adapter and just use that. the whole sight over bore thing is pretty much garbage anyway, essentially all the top dogs in Open division shoot vertically frame mounted Cmores and do just fine.

I wanted to shoot production and carry optics in the same match and was hoping that with the slide milled the index would be close to the same. 

Wow, jasong10, that is incredible.  CO hasn't had traction in Oklahoma.  We've had a handful of shooters do it, I don't think more than 1 at any match.  We also never have anyone shoot L10 except on RARE occasion.

I just used springer precision dovetail mount in a older G34 to try division. I think optic sits just fine and doesn't feel its to high.  I'm enjoying division so far.

Edited by maleman000

9 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Wow, jasong10, that is incredible.  CO hasn't had traction in Oklahoma.  We've had a handful of shooters do it, I don't think more than 1 at any match.  We also never have anyone shoot L10 except on RARE occasion.

You got guys going PCC instead of CO, a carbine with a red dot is cooler than a pistol red dot. How much has PCC grown?

On August 29, 2016 at 8:45 PM, motosapiens said:

lol, i have zero interest in open. I don't even like RO-ing open guns, much less wasting 3x the price of a real gun to buy one.

That's because you shoot the wrong sport ... In Steel Challenge we shoot open minor and you can have a gun that will compete on the national stage for the price of a nicely setup CZ Shadow .... :)

17 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

I have never seen a provision division not make it to a full fledged division ever. 
Pat

This .......

now if we could just get rid of L10 & Revo some how ........ :)

36 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

This .......

now if we could just get rid of L10 & Revo some how ........ :)

Why?  Are they hurting us/you somehow? 

(Never mind, there have been long threads on this...and they're still here.)