Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever been to a match like this?

Nimitz

Anyone ever attend a SC match where the stop plate target holder sticks were NOT painted red?

Just heard that at the WSSC they don't paint them red - apparently it's a "west coast tradition" .....?

Zack:

Sounds like there needs to be another update put in the rule book before it gets approved ....

Edited by Nimitz

We did for the Level II match that we held, for the simple reason that it meant that my written stage briefings all simply said "the stop plate is the one with the red paint on the 2x4" instead of having to specify each one differently.

We never bother for local matches, and like I said, the ONLY reason we did it for the Level II was because I was lazy.

I see no reason why this should need to be a rule.

The painted 2x4 below the targets were clearly there to deaden the sound of a low miss that would otherwise hit the steel post.  Also provides some additional protection for the post.  Normally we just paint the first 6-12 inches of the post below the target white

I have shot matches with a piece of surveyors tape marked the stop plate. A red support is the best way. At the East coast championship they (in the past) take the time to paint all stop supports red and all others are black. Designating the red support as the stop plate really helps the new shooters. and those that don't get to shoot real SCSA matches to often.

11 hours ago, RickT said:

The painted 2x4 below the targets were clearly there to deaden the sound of a low miss that would otherwise hit the steel post.  Also provides some additional protection for the post.  Normally we just paint the first 6-12 inches of the post below the target white

I'm thinking---that you are talking about something else.  (Or maybe i"m misunderstanding.)

The OP (and me too, in my response) wasn't talking about a setup that had metal posts in the first place---the plates are attached to holders that are supported by 2x4s.  As such, the coloring is only for stop plate identification. 

Like this:  steel-challenge1.jpg 

(this example doesn't have any paint on the stop plate post, obviously)

(I'm thinking personally that at a distance, painting both the target white and its metal post stand white would be something I wouldn't like, particularly if it were a steel post that would give the same sound as a plate when hit.  No color differentiation between the target and its stand, and same sound?  Wouldn't be thrilled with that.)

Been to many matches where they were not painted or marked. If I recall the the Worlds were held at Piru the stop plated were 6x6 post to protect the electronics.

At out club match we do paint to help identify stop plates to the newer shooters.

Its not a bad idea. If you aren't growing your sport it will stagnate and die a slow death. So helping new shooters is never a bad thing. All you need is some way to designate the stop plate even just a red mark below the target will do. You don't have to go to the extent that some clubs do...but it sure makes for nice looking stages.

The OP specifically referenced the WSSC.  Every (metal) post had 2 feet of black painted 2x4 hanging below the plate.  The home club doesn't use these in their monthly matches so it's logical to assume that all five posts were so-treated to help differentiate a post hit from a target hit.  Probably more of a benefit to the competitor than the officials since after the fact one has the target to examine.  This requirement could have come either from USPSA or the local folks.  I'll ask (locally) at the next match.

Painting the stop post was discussed with the MD prior to the match starting. It's the first match I've attended where the stop plate post was not painted or some how marked to indicate it was the stop plate. I know of at least two shooters that didn't know which plate was the stop plate at WSSC. I have a list of 10 - 15 items that we (USPSA) will be working on based on how things went at WSSC this year. Donna and I had a great time working and shooting the match. I got to put faces with several names and got to spend over an hour discussing the history of steel challenge with High Senior Winner Jim O'Young. I'm sure there will be good things coming for Steel Challenge and WSSC just give us some time to work on 'em.

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I assume that the people that do not paint the stop plate 2x4 red only use the standard SC stages?

Why? 

If it isn't a standard stage, the stop plate would be clearly listed in the WSB.  Up to the competitor to shoot it correctly.  I can see why some would paint it....but it certainly isn't necessary or a requirement.  (Nor do I think it should be, personally.)

Now that we are an official Steel Challenge club, all plates are white and the stop plate post is yellow.

The use of yellow harkens back to when we only had Outlaw matches. Back then they painted the actual plate yellow, so it kind of stuck.

We have a large number of shooters each match who are unfamiliar with the Steel Challenge stages, so it helps to just say, always shoot the plate on the yellow post last.

Match this past Saturday, one of the guys in our squad....

"Quote of the day from someone on our squad..... new shooter on the second stage after he shot the stop plate prior to finishing...

"Was there a stop plate on that last stage?"

side note: He did an excellent job all day (except for that run) "

At all of the steel matches I run, we paint the post red just below the stop plate.  It can be painted or not, to me personally no be deal.  But to assist all of our shooters, and we do get many new ones, it is a common courtesy that our club provides.  I also guess I have all of our local help trained so if I forget, they come and ask as I always have red paint available.

• 3 weeks later...