Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 JM Pro, Stoeger M3K, or something else?

JesseM

Long version:

I used to have a Mossberg 930 JM Pro that I shot really well but I sold it when I moved across the country. (I drove when I moved and I literally had no room left in my car for that shotgun so I sold it to a buddy who had been lusting after it after I let him use it in a shotgun match)

Part of me wants to get another Mossberg and set it up the way I did before and call it a day but while it worked well for me it was not without it's problems (Getting a lifter was a bitch, the LOP was a bit longer than I'd like, etc) and I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Stoeger 3000s and now they have the M3K it seems like that might be a better way to go in that all I'd have to do is throw an extended mag tube on it and call it a day as oppsoed to buying a lot of other parts I'd have to get for a Mossberg.

I also see a lot of love for the Beretta 1300 guns but I haven't looked into them much other than having some people tell me good things about them. The same for the CZ 712 but I have no idea what getting parts would be like for either of these and if they'd even be feasible for matches in that sense.

Short Version:

Assuming you wanted to get a shotgun up and ready for 3-gun and shotgun matches what's the best budget gun? I just want something to run and I'd like the least amount of gunsmith work to be done to get it GTG. Buying parts I can swap myself I'm cool with but sending it off to someone for weeks/months is a pain I'd rather not have to deal with.

I have an m3k and no might be biased but I would go for the stoeger over the 930, pretty much all it needs is a touch of load port clean up work to load quads and an extention tube, seems like it would be very competitive with a 1301 at half the cost. The only real issue I have seen with them is the extractor and getting a benelli one fixes that fir under $10

I got a M3K 2 weeks ago. I'm still a couple of weeks away from my first match. I've put 135 flawless rounds through it so far. 125 cheapo Walmart Federals, 5 slugs & 5 rounds of buckshot. It ate everything and shot slugs to point of aim. I'm very happy with it so far.

Waiting on kygunco or buds to get one back in stock so I can order an m3k...

I liked their prices and I guess I took to long to decide myself, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are they going for on Buds and Kygunco?

Quote on request... Don't think they're allowed to post it.

It's not humongous discount but it's cheaper than gunbroker right now... The wife is asking me to save the few $$ lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy once, cry once. Get yourself a Hayes Custom Guns Benelli M2, and be done.

What does that go for?

$2k ballpark. It's 100% ready to go for 3-gun though.

For that much I'd expect it to shoot the match for me. This is a thing I do for fun in my free time. I"ll stick with the Stoger and Mossberg.

If it's Stoeger or Mossberg, then stick with Stoeger. They haven't been out as long, but they seem to have a better track record than the 930. I've personally witnessed numerous 930 meltdowns at matches, and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I'm sure Stoeger has lemons also, but I haven't witnessed one yet.

The other thing to keep in mind is the "extra" stuff you'll probably want to do to whatever you end up getting. I'm talking about lifter work, opening the loading port, extending the magazine tube, etc. Plan on another few hundred for that...unless you plan on just running it bone-stock which is a perfectly fine choice.

With what seems to be a pretty competitive setup on my m3k in am well under a grand including spare parts and a fair bit gun of ammo

$550 M3K from kygunco

$15 FFL

$100 +6 tube and follower from MOA

Plus a couple hours stippling the gun and opening up the load port. At least so far I have not seen a need for lifter work but who knows that may change down the road. I am a couple hundred rounds into the gun with zero issues

With what seems to be a pretty competitive setup on my m3k in am well under a grand including spare parts and a fair bit gun of ammo

$550 M3K from kygunco

$15 FFL

$100 +6 tube and follower from MOA

Plus a couple hours stippling the gun and opening up the load port. At least so far I have not seen a need for lifter work but who knows that may change down the road. I am a couple hundred rounds into the gun with zero issues

In Washington is have to pay sales tax on the gun but otherwise that route sounds appealing and well within my budget.

Who is MOA?

Damn, knew I was forgetting something....sales tax. MOA is a shop out of Bend Oregon, Tom down there does some killer work on Stoegers, pretty much anything you need can be ordered from him. I would recommend them for sure. Pm me if you want any more info

The MOA in Bend, Oregon (actually, 15 miles north in Redmond ) does precision rifles. The MOA you are looking for is in Grants Pass, Oregon.

As for picking a shotgun, start with what fits you (and your ingrained manual of arms) if you can get your hands on a bunch to try out. Show up at a match with a pump and there will be a LOT of people willing to let you try out their autos. It is also worth considering what other locals run, as there will be more in your circle that may be able to offer useful advice on the clock. You will find that people defend their platforms with passion and a cult-like willingness to share their love of it with you.

The reliability issues have been pretty well worked out of all of them at this point (including the Mossberg 930) by the aftermarket. Every single model has a list of things that should be thrown at it for reliability. It seems none have escaped the Dremel, India stones and Flitz. I haven't found a single platform immune to certain common problems out of the box. It simply comes down to how much you have to spend on a shotgun before you decide to void its warranty on day three and throw $200 worth of aftermarket parts at.

At our last night match of 2015, three Benellis (75%) went down and only one Mossberg (20%). The Mossberg was a shell base defect that caught on the edge of the chamber and crumpled on the way in. Not the fault of the gun, but I'm sure it quietly got the blame. The Benellis were user error, as always. The owners assumed the same ammo that worked at 65 degrees was going to work at 35 degrees. I made the same mistake with the adjustable gas system in my rifle. I followed the lead from the Benelli guys and blamed that on the ammo too.

If you look at any of the dozen + page threads on any platform you will come away with the impression that any one of them requires a full-time gunsmith on staff and you should stick with a pump. Except the Benelli, of course, which only requires 1300 FPS+ Winchester AA Super Sports that you hand wax before each match.

:ph34r:

Pick your budget, find what fits your mind/body by handling them, read the threads on your chosen gun, shoot it and see what it needs. As a forced lefty, I personally despise cross-bolt safeties with all of my being, so that was a limiting factor for my own initial entry into the realm of shotguns 20+ years ago.

Pick your budget, find what fits your mind/body by handling them, read the threads on your chosen gun, shoot it and see what it needs. As a forced lefty, I personally despise cross-bolt safeties with all of my being, so that was a limiting factor for my own initial entry into the realm of shotguns 20+ years ago.

Not a lefty but I also despise cross bolt safety's. I was thinking maybe I can work with it if everything else is great.

Also I'm short at 5'6 so a short LOP option is appealing and I know the Stoeger has a compact stock available.

• 1 year later...

Lots of votes for the stoeger, I purchased a M 3000 a few months ago based on threads like this one. Extended tube, polished, extended bolt, opened the port ect..... close to 1000 rounds through it, it has NOT ran reliably since I got it. If ran hard the hammer will follow the bolt down on a live round. Very ammo type sensitive and harder recoil than gas guns. Sent back to stoeger/ benelli, tech went through it, replaced action spring, no issues when running 60 rounds. I still get a failure to fire if ran fast. 

The tech made a comment on the bottom of my repair sheet, "you can out run the action of the gun, it is possible to pull the trigger and have it follow the bolt forward"

Do a little more research and you will find lots of the same issues with the Stoeger. 

Tons of folks have had great luck with them a you probably will also, just wanted to make you aware there are issues with some and maybe save you a $500 headache.  

Never had an issues with my jm930 or the versamax......yet. 

T. 

Don't bother with a compact stock. Get it cut to your desired length and install a grind to fit Kick Eez pad.

If you aren't going to open the loading port, just buy an M3K anywhere and add an extension tube. But if you are, check out MOA Precision... they may have a competition ready shotgun ready to ship

http://moaprecision.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=m3000&cat=4&page=1&search=&since=0&status=&title=

• 8 months later...
15 hours ago, woodywouldnot said:

I ve had both the JMpro  and now a M3K for practical shotgun and multigun comps. Both have had major reliability issues with the M3K being very poor. If you can stretch your budget go with a 1301 or M2.

Way to resurrect a 2 year old topic. Haha. I haven't really been doing much competitive shooting lately. Between the 1301 or the M2 which would you go with?