Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New JP Aluminum BCG

IntenseImage

So, I ran the old model back in 05 and 6... It performed flawlessly, tuned easily, and was a joy to shoot... Over time, if you shot a lot and did not clean the bolt group and lube often, the black coating would wear thru at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock where it rides the upper receiver, and eventually would cause issues...

disposable bolt carriers, awesome!

Hey, when a guy is at the Uber level of the game and racing hard and training everyday for the BIG payday and the incredibly lucrative

(6 figures easy) endorsement a couple hun here and couple hun there ain't no biggie.

disposable bolt carriers, awesome!

Hey, when a guy is at the Uber level of the game and racing hard and training everyday for the BIG payday and the incredibly lucrative

(6 figures easy) endorsement a couple hun here and couple hun there ain't no biggie.

I totally agree and I was being tongue in cheek. I guess I was hoping that JP would come out with something totally new, like s.s. cast into aluminum tube stock or something.Like an pneumatic bladder aft of the gas tube, etc etc

So, I ran the old model back in 05 and 6... It performed flawlessly, tuned easily, and was a joy to shoot... Over time, if you shot a lot and did not clean the bolt group and lube often, the black coating would wear thru at 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock where it rides the upper receiver, and eventually would cause issues...

Yeah, I had 2 of these. When the first one started short cycling with the gas block fully open, I called J P and told them of the problem. The guy I talked to asked how many rounds thru it? I told him max 3 K and he told me that's all I could expect out of them!! Looking at the last one now, which I know has less than 2 K thru it before it died ,and the black coating is gone for about 1/4 " on the upper receiver contact points at the forward end under the key. These always were run WET. Running the SS lo mass now. Would try the new one but would like to know the expected round count life if properly lubed.

I don't know a lot about coatings and what materials can take what. Does anyone know if you can tin or hard chrome aluminum? That coating would hold up nicely but I'm not sure if aluminum can go through the process or not.

This has got my attention for sure since I am getting a new gun built after shot for this reason.

I don't know a lot about coatings and what materials can take what. Does anyone know if you can tin or hard chrome aluminum? That coating would hold up nicely but I'm not sure if aluminum can go through the process or not.

This has got my attention for sure since I am getting a new gun built after shot for this reason.

Most aluminum is hard anodized. You can chrome aluminum but it has issue stay adhered to the base, that is the reason to anodize.

The original J.P. aluminum carrier was anodized in a gold color. The one that came in my CTR-02 in 1999 is still in there and still running, but it isn't a high round count rifle, maybe only 8-10 thousand. I do know Benny Cooley ran one up to around 12,000 and it was getting pretty worn, but it still ran. The latter ones didn't seem to last as long (black anodized). Mine came with a McFarland gas ring that I immediately replaced with a set of standard gas rings I lapped in on a standard carrier, like I said still running, but it does seem to be a wear item. I can't speak to the new one, but I have been told they are much better. If I get hold of one, I'll let you know. Mean while, I have been real happy with the stainless J.P. L.M.O.S., and probably wouldn't switch one for the other.

Mean while, I have been real happy with the stainless J.P. L.M.O.S., and probably wouldn't switch one for the other.

For the most part, me too. But for a really short, speed course type rifle with ammo at about 100PF, it might be the ticket. Also, I just really like a lot of JP parts and the tester in me wants to play with one, even if I never have a need to run in a match. :)

I've got about 2500 rounds through one and been testing since August. I've used it in 2 uppers and so far no malfunctions even though I've shot it pretty dirty (although well lubed). I trusted it enough to shoot Fallen Brethren and Blue Ridge with it. The gun definitely cycles faster and is back on target quicker, so fast it takes a little getting used to. I can't say that I shoot it faster than the LMOS but I can feel the difference. So far, I can't detect any "extra" wear and don't know what the life expentency will be. If your shooting was focused around the short course 3 gun nation style, this bolt carrier should seriously be considered. At RM3G, I don't think it will help you so much particularly if your rifle isn't zeroed.