Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Common Glock Parts Failures

sierra77mk

I have 2 kits 1 for at home and 1 for my range bag. At home I have a replacement for everything but the slide itself and the lower.

My range bag I have a complete spring kit, trigger kit, mag release, recoil spring, barrel and and extra set of pins(i have lost one at a match before when swapping other parts) and then some xtra fiber optic rod.

Thats what I carry!

O and to major matches a back up gun

Edited by chefcs5

I have chefcs5's home kit in my range bag - everything except the receiver, slide and bbl will fit into a Dillon box. Practically speaking, the only things I've ever needed to replace were the factory sights (a plastic FS went to a better place than the port I was shooting through), a safety plunger spring that I dropped on swapping out parts, a chipped facory recoil rod, a mag release that probably was OK after all, and the trigger spring.

That box, and another Glock set up identically to the main gun, go together to any major match.

Edited by kevin c

I've seen the takedown spring go, the slidelock spring go, and unfortunately I even had the locking block on my 19 go (2nd gen).

That really about covers it, IMO. Everything else like the recoil spring, striker spring, and FP safety spring should be PM'ed anyway.

Hello: All the parts except the barrel,frame, and slide with aftermarket sights. The rest of the parts should cost about $100 total. Gotta love Glocks :cheers: I use a small clear fishing lure box to hold the parts. I have given out more parts than I have needed. Thanks, Eric

I have a Gen 2 G17 and have only replaced the trigger spring and the recoil spring.

What parts are the most common failure parts that I might want to carry in my shooters bag?

I have a G35 (and G22, G23) that I shoot in Limited/L-10. I've had to replace 2 broken pins and 2 slide releases (the spring on them broke, not the release bar itself) in about 8,000 rounds. Thus, I keep some extra springs, slide releases, pins, loctite, and trigger group in my range bag.

I also keep my G22 as a back up in case something major really happens.

z-

Parts to always have, in order of breakage:

-3 of every spring (This also includes the magazine release spring!!!!!!)

-extra fiber optic/batteries

-extractor

-ejector (trigger housing)

-striker

-front sight

-rear sight

-holster

-shoes

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I ordered 2 of almost everything suggested.

I found

http://www.ombexpress.com/

They are closing out their glock parts and are all discounted.

[no full size recoil springs though]

Glock must have had a price increase because all of the catalog prices I have from 2009 are not current.

This place was lower than any place I have found.

Shipping was a little high but I got the parts and other mags I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

A local match I really don't take or worry about spares. Majors I take an identical back up gun.

If that's not practical like my SJC open glock, I take a spare in the same caliber so I can just swap whatever parts are needed.

I had my trigger spring break during a course, and somehow it bound up and the gun went full auto for 5 or 6 rounds. I carry a full set of all internals, pre-tuned and packaged together, for each of my limited guns and one for my open gun.

At that match I didn't have parts. luckily someone had a spare and hooked me up.

I abuse the heck out of my guns, but they only have problems when JP is in my squad. Nothing says embaressment like having your gun f-up when you got a great shooter timing you. =/

Now I just carry 2.

-extractor

-striker

-front sight

-rear sight

-holster

-shoes

Glocks have SHOES? :rolleyes:

-extractor

-striker

-front sight

-rear sight

-holster

-shoes

Glocks have SHOES? :rolleyes:

Yep...blue ones