Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Handgun Nats in Vegas!

lvipscshooter

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, not everyone will fly to a match... there are a lot of us who would drive if it was under 1000 miles.

You don't need to make this personal... Even within the Area matches it get's moved around to give everyone a chance to attend. By moving it around you can share the wealth with other areas and clubs and be more inclusive of people who might not otherwise be able to attend.

Not true. <_< Area 6 has been at SRGC for the last ...... what? 6 years? Maybe more. And I'm cool with that. It's a great range, with great staff. Perfect for a quality Area match. Las Vegas is perfect for a Nationals. Lots of hotels, eateries, and attractions. Plus it's close to town. Tulsa is ok compared to Vegas, but not great.

And I agree about flying to most any match that is over a 6+ hours drive. I flew to Tulsa (twice) and I flew to Vegas. I would fly to Florida, TX, LA, and most any place west of the Mississippi.

I think 9 months notice is good, but 12 months would be even better.

But mostly I cant understand why when the Nationals are announced each year ....... the complaining begins. :( Why? Especially HERE! Why do the moderators allow complaining about SHOOTING to continue, here at Brians House? Shouldnt we be glad we still get to own guns, and shoot here in America? :ph34r:

+1

You win a slot, or you can get a slot from your area director, or I assume sponsors get slots for their sweety pies or you get on the waiting list. If you are determined to go there is usually a way in. Last year in Vegas it was alot harder because it filled up pretty quick. OK was such an unpopular place people could get a last minute walk on spot, I wouldnt count on that for Vegas.

Come on guys 9 months out and people are complaining,? that is more than enough notice, I say good job.

I don't know what kind of job you have, or where you work, but 9 months being more than enough notice? Really? Most folks I know have to have their vacations picked out for the next year, before the end of the current year. Heck, my bids for time off had to be done by in November. Of course, I did plan on the same week Nationals has been held the past few years, and guess what? Not even close. Now, if I want to attend, or even work the match again, I have to play run around trying to sweet talk my boss into letting me change my weeks, and hope that there are still openings in the book. After all, deer season starts 1 Oct around here, and a lot, if not most, of the people I work with hunt.

Another thing: What about the Area and Sectional matches? Why are we either making them wait until National's dates are anounced, this late in the year so they can work around it, or take the chance they will not have the turn out that normally would have been there? We are cutting our ownthroats doing business like that. Pretty much every major match I have been involved in has had planning start immediately after the current years's match, to get ready for the following year, and dates are usually pretty set by then. I understand that there is a lot of planning required for national's, but come on, think ahead more than the next five minutes for a change.

The slots will fill up, if for not other reason than for local shooters who happen to walk up the day of registration. I have not even heard of anyone being told they could not shoot because the match was full when they walked up, even last year, and I was there for both matches. If that is the case, why even have a wait list, and crash servers with folks trying to get on the list at the same time? Apparently we can't fill the match up with the wait list, so again, what is the point?

Oh, and Chris, I have earned my god given right to complain. Moreso than most on here, but not as much as others.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's a lot of griping in a day or two. And most of it is unwarranted. Yes we just missed a window of time for Jim to put in for vacation. If your partner hadn't picked that particular week would it have mattered if the dates were announced a month later? As far as the mix of divisions, it was different several times over the last few years, and I know you've been shooting long enough to remember those matches if you tried. Racegun Nationals, Factory Gun Nationals, Stand alone Limited or Open matches, LPR, OPR, L/L10, all sorts of different combinations. The match can't be announced until the contract is signed. We tried that in 2006 and got burned by a club who used it to try and extort money from USPSA.

As far as Vegas. We're in a down economy. Vegas is hurting. There are thousands of unfilled hotel rooms and empty seats in restaraunts driving prices down cheaper than I've ever seen them here. The plane fares are cheaper from everywhere in the country to get here than to just about everywhere else. Mike has asked clubs on the East coast to host Nationals before. There hasn't been an overwhelming response. Rockcastle is not ready for a USPSA Nationals yet. But would be cool when it is. There are a ton more reasons to go to Vegas. No where and no time is going to make everyone happy. Hopefully this will make enough people happy to fill the matches.

I haven't had the opportunity to talk to Mike about it but my guess is next years dates will be released earlier.

Well said, Chuck. This same thread has occurred every year here since I joined in 2004. Regardless of the lead time, location, or date someone will be unhappy about it. Most of us just ignore it anymore. I, too, am surprised it is allowed since it is against the rules here.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ready for round 2 if they will have me. I promise to remember what I forgot last year.

But always remember: What happens in Vegas.....

Goes right to YouTube!! :devil:

Hopefully I will be able to make THE trip again this year. *fingers crossed*

Joe W.

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping to get in through the waiting list. What is the Match Hotel. Do you have to rent a car or does USPSA get a some sort of shuttle to run shooters back and forth. Is there anything for the wife's (or husbands if they are shooting) to do other then the strip, ie... planned activities from the hotel or anything.

I got this bizarre call the other day from a very nice lady named "Kim" who said I had a slot at nationals waiting for me!! I've never been to a national match, and I'm pretty excited. I started to think about it the other day ... my biggest challenge?

Ammo shipment? Nah, UPS has me covered.

Flights? Easy, they're cheap to Vegas!

Getting up to winning speed? I have 6 months, I can get there..

No .. my biggest challenge will be convincing my new bride that we should take our one year anniversary to Vegas ... while I shoot Nats.

Now that, my friends ... is a challenge.

I got this bizarre call the other day from a very nice lady named "Kim" who said I had a slot at nationals waiting for me!! I've never been to a national match, and I'm pretty excited. I started to think about it the other day ... my biggest challenge?

Ammo shipment? Nah, UPS has me covered.

Flights? Easy, they're cheap to Vegas!

Getting up to winning speed? I have 6 months, I can get there..

No .. my biggest challenge will be convincing my new bride that we should take our one year anniversary to Vegas ... while I shoot Nats.

Now that, my friends ... is a challenge.

Schedule a week in Vegas first. Book her a couple of half days at the spa. Then casually mention "Honey, there's a match while we're in Vegas, mind if I shoot it?" :devil:

Edited by bbbean

I am hoping to get in through the waiting list. What is the Match Hotel. Do you have to rent a car or does USPSA get a some sort of shuttle to run shooters back and forth. Is there anything for the wife's (or husbands if they are shooting) to do other then the strip, ie... planned activities from the hotel or anything.

If you are at the match hotel, which to my knowledge hasnt been announced, be pretty simple to bumm a ride, I rented a car last year but probably didnt need it,However as soon as you find out your Match hotel you can usually get a car/flight/hotel package from expedia or travelocity. It's dirt cheap that way.

Dude, it's Vegas, there are a gazillion things to do. get on line start looking.

If you are at the match hotel, which to my knowledge hasnt been announced, be pretty simple to bumm a ride, I rented a car last year but probably didnt need it,However as soon as you find out your Match hotel you can usually get a car/flight/hotel package from expedia or travelocity. It's dirt cheap that way.

Dude, it's Vegas, there are a gazillion things to do. get on line start looking.

I know its vegas, I didn't know if uspsa hosted anything for the wives to do or had like beginner shooting classes for them or anything along those lines. i think i can get her to go to the spa a couple of days and stuff like that in vegas.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know If I can send ammo prior to the Nats to the range?

Anybody got a contact person?

Thx for replies

hope to be there and meet some of you guys/gals..

Chris

There was a local gun range where we could ship it last year. Check the nationals website for 2009 and see if its still listed. Great group of folks!

There will be hundreds on the waiting list. That should be all the evidence you need.

There is usually a line at MacDonald's but it doesn't mean the food is good.

It has been recognized in several threads that many things could be better at nats, and IMO they should be. However, the simple fact is that they still hold a large title and the chance to shoot and measure yourself against the largest spectrum of competitors. In spite of several problems, this is what brings the majority of folks to the waiting list.

Edited by smokshwn

For those people who continue to harp about the Nationals location then I say read the posts about getting a club to bid for the match. If it is something about the way things are done at the Nationals then submit your better idea with ways to implement it. Last year it was not using the Palm system but you had to be in the right spot on the range to get a cell signal. For people with a beef about the way Nationals are run come to the membership meeting held during the Nationals, we had about 25 people show up last year.

October. That puts all the farmers out. Bummer :(

And hunters, and most juniors. Sure Tulsa is hot in the summer, but it sure would make sense to have it middle/middle. Tulsa and June or July. Does not matter much to me either way right now, but it will when my kids are old enough to shoot in a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year they did have activities for the range widows. Some pretty fun stuff from what I heard. You would be best off renting a car for the match, but be VERY careful on the range road. There were dust police, kid you not, that would nail you with a HUGE fine *into the thousands* if you drove over 10mph and stired up dust.

There was a local gun range where we could ship it last year. Check the nationals website for 2009 and see if its still listed. Great group of folks!

Last year American Shooters range was very kind in accepting ammo shipments. FANTASTIC range, great guys and well worth stopping in even if you don't have to. As part of the goody bag you get at registration you got a free one day pass to American Shooters to make sure your stuff was running right. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the place, talk about beyond impressive.

Joe W.

Does anybody know what days we're actually shooting? Application says 8 thru 17th. Surely we're not shooting all those days and I need to minimize my time away from work (my sponsor). I need to be there the day before the match starts and leave immediately when it's over.