Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever get in a funk?

Steven Cline

Recently I can't reload, I mean really bad reloads. Draws are slow. Ain't shooting real well, either. Anybody ever get into a funk? How'd ya get get out of it?

I push through it. Won't quit a practice if I'm having problems. Some people pack it up and go home, they say they don't want to practice bad technique. I'm the opposite, if this type of funk shows up in a match how do you deal with it?? I'm not saying one way is better but I know what works for me and I always want to leave on a positive note. I live to far from the range to pack it up and go home.

First I would go back to fundementals, the basics.

If I was having problems with reloads I would stop shooting and do some dryfire on the range. Some Burkett reloads and also full reloads. Really working on seeing the magwell and looking that mag in. Then go back to reloading.

If I'm having trouble on the draw I just go back to dryfire. If its the grip I'm having trouble with I might do 50 practice draws by only grabbing the grip but never pulling the gun out of the holster. After that feels smooth I'll move onto some full draws. When that feels smooth I might take some 1 shot draws.

Just don't try to rush it. When you go back to the basics just try to be smooth.

If your the type that taking a break will help that is fine also. I don't suggest just packing up though. Just try and be smooth and get a couple of good draws or reloads in before you leave. You could even just go to group shooting. Whatever it is just leave on something positive. You'll remember that session until your next. You'll remember that feeling, that "funk" until your next practice.

Flyin

I reread the post. I was thinking that this was happening at practice. If its your overall shooting including matches then you might want to try something different at a match. Change divisions or something. You may need to take a break. There are plenty of things in life that are more important than shooting. Personally for me shooting ranks low, actually very low on the priority list. You may just need to recharge the batteries. For me I usually don't touch a gun from October through March, April. That gets me though the season and not getting burned out.

Flyin

Kinda going through the same thing. A break didn't seem to work for me, although it might for some. I decided to change up my dryfire practice a bit, mainly adding some type of movement (my weakness) to all drills. After shooting the Tuesday night match this week, maybe it's helping. Point is, just change something until it seems to make a difference.

Pulling myself out of a slow time now, so maybe I'm a half-step ahead and can help. The winter season, even in Tx, tends to make us all a bit more down. Part of the yearly cycle, so don't worry that you're dealing with something in isolation.

After reading Lanny Bassham's "With winning in mind", you might want to spend time thinking about what's motivating you, what your goals are, and how to put your desired level of success back into your head. I checked your scores, you've got some blazing percentages! Holy Enchilada, Batman! You have the physical capability and equipment to make A in 2010. Is that a goal that interests you? Is it a reasonable challenge, given the time and resources you have to spend on USPSA shooting?

My recommendation would be to carefully, and prayerfully, set a goal for 2010. If it involves USPSA shooting, then further thoughts would be to A ) get Lanny's book and build your mental game, B ) spend some time in an aspect of the game you don't normally work. Maybe stage design, match production, mentoring, sponsorship, writing articles/blogs, and C) keep your participation at the level of fun progress. Don't make it "work", don't make it a distraction from life. Once you have a plan, even if you're not performing at your A level, you can still reinforce that you're working your plan.

Hope that helps.

Leam

Edited by leam

Pulling myself out of a slow time now, so maybe I'm a half-step ahead and can help. The winter season, even in Tx, tends to make us all a bit more down. Part of the yearly cycle, so don't worry that you're dealing with something in isolation.

After reading Lanny Bassham's "With winning in mind", you might want to spend time thinking about what's motivating you, what your goals are, and how to put your desired level of success back into your head. I checked your scores, you've got some blazing percentages! Holy Enchilada, Batman! You have the physical capability and equipment to make A in 2010. Is that a goal that interests you? Is it a reasonable challenge, given the time and resources you have to spend on USPSA shooting?

My recommendation would be to carefully, and prayerfully, set a goal for 2010. If it involves USPSA shooting, then further thoughts would be to A ) get Lanny's book and build your mental game, B ) spend some time in an aspect of the game you don't normally work. Maybe stage design, match production, mentoring, sponsorship, writing articles/blogs, and C) keep your participation at the level of fun progress. Don't make it "work", don't make it a distraction from life. Once you have a plan, even if you're not performing at your A level, you can still reinforce that you're working your plan.

Hope that helps.

Leam

I am kind of in this situation. My problem was that I am worrying over too many things. For me, I have to just relax and shoot. Go to the basics.

Steve your too young for Male-O-pause. I think that a times like this when your shooting labido is out to lunch there is only one thing to do. Sign up for the Single Stack Nationals.

There is nothing like having a super major match coming to make you get that gun out and dry fire and shoot every local match you can find to get ready. And with that you will get lots of reloading practice.

Next Saturday is your BulletHole match I suggest you get yourself ready, I'll be there and this old post Male-O-pause C class shooter wants to take you to school! It won't be fair I'm leaving the SS at home and brining the open gun. :roflol: Rematch on Sunday at RiverCity.

Steve your too young for Male-O-pause. I think that a times like this when your shooting labido is out to lunch there is only one thing to do. Sign up for the Single Stack Nationals.

There is nothing like having a super major match coming to make you get that gun out and dry fire and shoot every local match you can find to get ready. And with that you will get lots of reloading practice.

Next Saturday is your BulletHole match I suggest you get yourself ready, I'll be there and this old post Male-O-pause C class shooter wants to take you to school! It won't be fair I'm leaving the SS at home and brining the open gun. :roflol: Rematch on Sunday at RiverCity.

Something like this will work too. Bet most Alpha's, winner gets first round of your perferred drink free....... There is alot of work involved and sometimes that will run you do as much as anything else. Setting up for matches etc. One thing our club does is after the match is getting anyone who wants to head up to Roosters for wings and a beer after the match. Just hanging out and BS'in.

Flyin

I was pretty much hot and heavy for 18+ yrs till i severed my acchiles tendon, and was forced to take time off....bythe time i was able to walk again, i was chomping atthe bit to shoot.....recently ive been in the 'funk' and i have learned to walk away from it, plowingthru doesnt work for me, taking a break, goin diving onthe coast works for me

now in my 21rst yr ofthis sport, I just walk away from time to time just for a breather...

Take break. Its just a game.

Your mind/body will tell you when its time to go back. But when you do, do it with excitement, and really hit the dry fire, that will help more than anything else for draws and reloads.

Practice technique EXTREMELY SLOW. You will get good repetitions of what you want your body to do that way. If I am doing poorly, I can't practice fast but I can always do the techniques in slow motion and improve my muscle memory.

Thanks for the insight.

I see a few "take a break."

I see a few "set goals."

I see a few "drive through it."

I see a few "slow it down and get back to basics/fundametals."

Driving through it ain't working, just frustrating me.

I've set some goals to shoot more matches and I am going to the SS Nationals. Maybe I should say "time to make A."

I've gonna try slowing down, partial reloads, things a little different.

I'm gonna look into the Bassham book, thanks Leam.

I appreciate the bologna and Atomic Dog help, therapy at it's best.

Edited by Steven Cline

Steve,

Take a lesson or two. Few things invigorate a game like good shooting. Few things will get you shooting good like lessons. Time to focus on your game, not the game.

Good luck.

Jim

Loose the expectations that you have attached to your shooting.

Replace those with a clear vision of what you need to do to perform well.

Execute...execute...execute the fundamentals.

+1 I've found that by putting expectations on myself, or by putting something on the line (much like the earlier post about the person winning gets the first round of drinks free), causes distraction from the game. You are or will be thinking of what you want to drink, how good it's gonna feel to be 1st, etc. Clear all else from your mind except the "A" zone, don't even concentrate on that, just do it. Your hands and eyes know what to do, you are just trying to force them to do it either faster than they can right now or you are distracted. Like Flex said, lose the distractions.

I started shooting basic drills.

Ordered a new set of grips (Ergo XTs).

Ordered a pair of video sunglasses for better first person video (from ThinkGeek Spycam Video/MP3/Camera Sunglasses- might even use them as spy gear.

Ordered Brian Enos' Practical Shootin: Beyond Fundamentals (thanks Brian).

Basically I ordered toys for myself and started shooting basic drills.

I'm gonna follow the advise from Flexmoney et al and really buckle down on the fundamental basics I need execute when shooting a stage or classifier. Follow the advise I give- basics, basics, basics. Better basics, better shooting.

Edited by Steven Cline