Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The shootoff's are seperate, you can sign up at the match.

If I remember correctly it wasn't seperated by division but was seperated somewhat by class M,GM / A,B / C,D.

I think that is how it went, but I could be wrong and they could do it different this year. I think it pretty much depends on how many entries they have.

But it is cool, if you haven't seen the shootoff range, that alone is almost worth the trip. The poppers are controlled by air compressors, flip a switch and they all stand back up.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The only other hotel with rooms near to the sold out match hotel seems to be the Comfort Lodge in Sebring...about 4 miles from the Econo which is the Match Hotel.....all hotels are about 15 miles out of Frostproof where the Range is....the number is 863-382-1148...there are some other shooters staying there as well...hope this helps...take care.. WES

Where are you getting the information about stages, targets, shooters meeting times etc. I am shooting the match but all I have received is a post-card acknowledging my entry - I was just planning on rolling up about 8:30 on Saturday morning!!!!!

Phil,

That's what we did last year, thought 7:45-8:00 am would be plenty early, fortunately BJ was in the 2nd rotation and did not miss a stage. I emailed Wadette this year to verify the time.

Frank has declared his place a "no shoot free zone" :D

Not wishing to seem overly dumb but who is Wadette??

This is the first time I have shot this match - in fact this will be the first USPSA match I have shot in Florida so I am flying in from Texas on Friday evening and in the absence of any additional information am still planning on 8 am as an "early" arrival at the range.

Phil,

Wadette is the "brains" behind the majority of the big matches that happen in central Florida. She handles all of the technical stuff: planning, registration, squadding, scoring, match booklets, etc... She is the only one that tells Frank what to do and how to do it!

I would plan to set your alarm clock a little earlier since your hotel will be 20 - 30 minutes from the range and they WILL start the shooters meeting as soon as the sun rises (or sooner). Last year we were shooting as soon as it was daylight.

Leo

Also don't let the No No-Shoots fool you into thinking it's an easy hoser match. Frank uses many props, targets can often be seen from multiple positions and target distances tease you into wanting to shoot them on the run.....then they nail ya!!

Wadette is the brains and she and Frank have a long hate/love relationship. They love to go at each other, but they always make up.

Talked to Wadette, first squads start shooting at 7:00am. Man, is the sun even up then??

Paul,

I'm sure you remember last year (if you were awake), we were walking around in almost total darkness with the only light coming from the barn where they were serving breakfast. We were identifying people by voice because we could not see anybody. They had the shooters meeting as soon as the sun started to rise and we were shooting as soon as there was daylight.

My only shooting glasses were dark sunglasses and the first stage was a ton of fun.

Leo

Got a chance to spend some time with Frank this year south of the border. I was pleased when he joined the point series and became part of the USPSA family umbrella. His match had always been a private affair and he never made any bones about it. His philosophy is simple – provide a good experience for the shooters.

It has also always been successful. Frank is a good businessman and most shooters are repeats. That speaks of value received.

I have often said “we” could all learn some lessons on profitability of match production from the Florida Open. Tribute over! (You can buy me and the Costa Ricans lunch Frank!)

Caspian28r made an excellent point (with great brevity) about this being an international match in terms of competitors and to a certain degree course design. N/Ss are used far more frequently abroad as are 6” steel and more “technical – accuracy” elements; but that is not to say this is an easy hoser match. You best think and execute.

I’m been long winded this evening but to sum up; meet new people, they are here to have fun and shoot well also. You might even enjoy their company. Exchange business cards and email. If you find them difficult to understand consider some of our dialects (Those of you who have them!). Many of these countries produce one major level III match a year that are well worth going to – for the shooting, comradely, hospitality, sightseeing, nightlife – good time. 12-16+ stages with high round counts. If you are in the game to win something approaching what you have invested materially and in terms of time spent you won’t find it. The rest of the world shoots for the honor, prestige and joy.

I shall end this mess, but if you read it and find something of value good for us! There are several matches coming up in Central / South America this year, not to mention the World Shoot next year in Ecuador. Introduce yourself and make some friends. Friends and I have introduced over 20+ Yankees who have repeatedly traveled south to shoot and had some of the best shooting experiences ever. *These matches also recruit IROA staff to work with their NROI. Safety is paramount but we do engage in practical shooting!

*(ED: If I’ve gone over the top and this sounds like an ad edit as you see fit.)

Joel