Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic extension clamp

Pro2AInPA

My +7 is plenty sturdy without one. I guess it all depends on how rough/careful you plan to get with the gun. My used benelli came with one so I use it. Better safe than sorry is my thought.

Be advised that they can change your point of impact with slugs.

That's all I needed to hear. I just spent a bunch of money gearing up for USPSA so the wife is already none-too-happy with me. I'll just get the tube for now and get the clamp later if it seems necessary.

:cheers:

I for one like the clamp. You have a quite a bit of weight out there in a long alum. tube, it would be a shame to break it. I think its best to support it. If it was a steel tube it might be a different story. If you watch this video carefully you'll see the barrel and mag tube wiggle as the shot fires. There are lots of forces acting on the gun.

I've seen enough mag extension tubes fail to believe a clamp is a must-have item. And NO, they do not necessarily mess up your slug zero (at least none of mine ever have, and I've been shooting Remingtons in practical shotgun competition for 27 years).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I had a tube break at the threads in the middle of a stage. I did not realize it until loading up for the next one! :surprise: The clamp had actually saved the stage for me by keeping things together well enough to finish the stage. :unsure:

Not if you loosen the mag tube 1/4 turn before installing the clamp...

jj

edit; and yes, you do need a clamp with extended mags...JMHO

Edited by RiggerJJ

jj

That is interesting...... lets the lower tube move a smidgen and not put any kind of torque on the barrel?

jj

That is interesting...... lets the lower tube move a smidgen and not put any kind of torque on the barrel?

Merlin, as JJ said, always leave the mag tube slightly loose when tightening the clamp down. I learned this the hard way years ago. The barrel would flex slightly towards the clamp and affect the point of aim.

On whether a clamp is needed or not, we always ask if the gun is actually going to be used or sit in the closet as a home defense gun. If you are going to use it, there is always the chance that you will bump into something during a stage or a hunt. Why take the chance of snapping off the tube while doing so? Seen it happen several times during expensive matches. A clamp is a cheap investment.

I'm going to be putting a Nordic +8 extension on my Rem 11-87. Is the clamp really needed? It's tough enough paying $80 for a tube but $30+ for that little clamp is a tough pill to swallow.

Question is....do you really need the Nordic clamp? Others work just as well. I have DMW (I think) clamp on my Nordic tube on mu Benelli. I think the Nordic clamp has one with a rail that is not much more expensive. If I were going to spend that....get the one with the rail.....never know when you may want to mount a flashlight on the end?

I'm going to be putting a Nordic +8 extension on my Rem 11-87. Is the clamp really needed? It's tough enough paying $80 for a tube but $30+ for that little clamp is a tough pill to swallow.

Question is....do you really need the Nordic clamp? Others work just as well. I have DMW (I think) clamp on my Nordic tube on mu Benelli. I think the Nordic clamp has one with a rail that is not much more expensive. If I were going to spend that....get the one with the rail.....never know when you may want to mount a flashlight on the end?

See my last post. I'm going to try the Choate clamp. Worst case scenario its less than $10 that didn't work out.

Not to say that any other clamp is an inferior product but... when you look at the Nordic product you can immediately see and recognize the quality of the piece. Buy once and Know that you have a product that will do the job it's meant to do with NO compromises.

Pro2

You should be happy with what you picked up. Most of us use the Nordic because they support our sport so much. Tim at Nordic even suggest not to use any clamp at all when you use thier tubes...that is how strong thier tubes are! Now in saying this, I have too seen tubes (not Nordic's) shit the bed at a very bad time. Not to say there is a good time for it to break but you know what I mean.

Enjoy but with Nordic you do get what you pay for. The stock Benelli barrel clamp is my favorite because you can hold the swivel and remove the clamp with a penny, no real tools needed.

RLTW,

Scott

Pro2

You should be happy with what you picked up. Most of us use the Nordic because they support our sport so much.

I thought most of us use Nordic because they are made so well. Of course, we do appreciate the support also! :)

I'll chime in here......

Do you need a clamp on a Remington shotgun......with out a doubt.....YES!!!

Now, for some back ground:

The Remington shotguns have the least amount of thread engagement of any shotgun out there and I don't care which tube you use, I've seen Choates, Briley's, DMV's, etc.....get launched during stages at 3 gun matches. This is a failure of the factory threads ability to hold the tube on the weapon. I've RO'd enough to see this.

Our earlier tubes.....did break at the nut.....this has been corrected (like 2 years ago) and the new design has yet to fail. If you want to know if you have an old design tube, go into our web forum (in the BE dealer tents) under FAQ's to see if you have an older design...we have pics and info that will help.....we will replace old tubes free of charge.

I for one am not a fan of clamps on barrels.....they do change point of impact for slugs if the clamp happens to move. To help minimize that, do what Bob from Cactus Tactical has mentioned above in a previous post. Thats some good info!! Personally, on my Benelli, I do not run nor feel a clamp is required, BUT.....you need some sort of clamp on a remington!!

I really do believe that our clamp is hands down the best one out there....light weight, most clamping area and if put on right, will not move. So if you are going to use a clamp (and on the Remmy....you really need to), use ours, it's made for our tube. There are other alternatives like the choate, ATI, DMV, etc. that may be good......but ours is the one that everyone elses is compared to. Yeah, maybe I'm a little biased, not my design though.....Jarmo came up with that little gem!!

I've had a tube (older Nordic) break without a clamp. I have a video of this and you can see the tube start to bend in the middle of the stage. Not only does the tube flex when you fire, the sport tends to be kind of hard on equipment in general. I would go with Nordic without question. They are not only big supporters of this sport but have been tremendously helpful when anything did go wrong. The tube in question was replaced at no charge and very quickly. After comparing Nordics products with some of the bargain stuff out there, you'll see the difference.

Will this clamp work with the Nordic tube?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=117369

Yeah, I'm being cheap, so what? :ph34r:

The clamp will 'work', as will the similiar one made by Tac Star. One piece of advice, when the clamp begins to slide up and down the barrel / tube under recoil, use a piece of black electricians tape or gaffers tape to stop it. Wrap the magazine tube once or twice with the tape and then tighten the clamp back down. It will stop most of the sliding for a while. Repeat as necessary.

An issue not discussed yet...the stamped type clamps do not align exactly the barrel and mag tube.

This induces a stress between the two components...spreading or pinching .

The Nordic clamp is more of a precision fit....being a machined part the two tubes are held parallel.

I found my POI would remain correct with the Nordic clamp after take down for cleaning.

This was not the normal result when using a stamped steel clamp.

In my humble opinion...The Nordic clamp is the best solution available...thats not saying the others are bad, but the Nordic solves issues the others do not.

Jim

Another quick question related to the clamp. My shotgun has I believe a 28" barrel, it might even be 30", I haven't measured it. I took a measurement from the threads on the gun's mag tube and I believe the Nordic +7 tube will come out to almost the end of my barrel. Where should I put the clamp? In the middle of the Nordic tube or out near the muzzle?