Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match barrel for 55 grain bullets ?

StealthyBlagga

I will be re-barreling my 3-gun rifle soon. I've been running the same ER Shaw 1:9 20" HBAR stainless barrel for years, and it has given me great service, but this time I would like to try something with a stronger reputation for accuracy. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a stainless 20" HBAR with pinned gas block (i.e. an A2 FSB, which I will cut off), unless someone here can convince me otherwise. It seems like most of the match-grade barrels are 1:8, 1:7.7 or 1:7, and I'm concerned that this seems a bit fast for 55 grain bullets (which I prefer). I doubt I will use bullets heavier than 69 grains.

Does anyone make a match-grade 1:9 barrel ? If not, what are the chances that a 1:8 will have problems with 55 grain bullets ? I was tempted by Noveske, but the 1:7, mid-weight and max length of 18" is a show stopper for me. I'm thinking about one of the 1:8 RRA/Wilson barrels... thoughts ?

I recommend you contact Jim Lambert at Firebird firearms 505-847-0108 & ask these questions. The barrels he is selling & using on most of his AR builds are 1:8 & seem to stabilize 55s very well. Walther Lothar barrels, I think. Very competitive pricing & plenty of info direct from someone that can buy any barrel he wants & chooses these particular ones.

Mine works very well with 55s & up to 69s so far. Haven't tried any heavier than that.

MLM

Jim has (or had last week) an 18"Walther Lothar. 8" twist. Wylde chamber. Not Cryo'd -may not matter to some, may to others. .750"od. He also has one Benny Hill Rolling Thunder comp that someone backed out on. Will make someone a very nice package. I had credit card in hand when I was talking to him, but the UPS guy came in and he had to go. His sales dept had my phone number and was supposed to call me back but never did.....sorry but after waiting a couple days to hear from them, a JP is on the way. That's great news for you, cause he might still have it!!

Are you reloading or using factory loaded ammo? I have found the majority of accuracy issues with 55 gr to be the ammo and not the bbl. I have used bbls with 1:7.7 and 1:8 with 55gr bullets and have gotten well under 1moa. with my reloads. Factory ammo, not always so good. The same bbls with heavier bullets would shoot a touch better with heavier bullets, but the heavier bullets are of a match variety (as marketed by the manufacturer) and all 55's ive used were not marketed as match variety. The quality of the bullet may have more to do with increased accuracy when it comes to 55gr bullets in a faster twist bbl.

+1 to the barrel advice above. One of the pluses of going with a barrel from Firebird is that they come with a matched bolt. Given the quality of the barrel the added value of the bolt makes the choice a no brainer for the money. Most any of the better maker barrels will shoot very well (Lothar Walter, JP, Wilson, ), even better with the slightest load development.

As far as the gas block goes, with the clamping design of Firebird Precisions adjustable gasblock there is no need for pinning the gas block as once installed correctly they don't move. This will give you the option of optimizing your gas and in conjunction with a lightened bolt carrier giving you a very stable gun.

Go down to Accuracy Speaks and have Derrick put a Douglas 1-9 twist stainless steel barrel of whatever contour you like on your rifle. I have never had a problem shooting 55s in a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist.

While there are now many a good gunsmith around the U.S. working on ARs, why not just go to the guy at Rio since that's where you shoot! And he helped "invent" the accurate AR to boot!

My Match AR is barreled in a 1-7 Krieger and the varmint is a 1-8 Krieger both in Wlyde chambers.

Either one shoots 55gr bullets very well!

I have had very good luck with Kriegers and since all my rifles were built by Bill Wylde and he prefers them thats what I'm staying with.

White Oak Armament has a "Squad Designated Marksman" variant which is a 20" stainless 1:8, fluted, w/ cuts for A2 FSB. Shoots 55's and 69's just fine. Mine is sub-MOA w/ Black Hills 69's in a CTR-02 upper and Clark's CF handguard.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

They will also sell you a headspaced bolt but in all my research this shouldn't be necessary in an AR. I have swapped bolts and carriers back and forth between rifles and everything has worked fine.

Alternatively, JP sells an ultra-light 18" which is 1:9.

Since this is a rifle technical question in the Multi-Gun forum I look at it this way...

Shooting Multi-Gun most will shoot heavier bullets sooner or later to either buck some wind or make a target activate. So in saying this I would go with at least a 1:8 twist. Remember a tighter twist (at least 1:8)will stablize a heavy bullet up to 77 grain and light (55) bullet but a 1:9 or slower twist will not always shoot/stablize a heavy bullet above 62 grains. I shot my M-4 (1:7) with 55s, 62s and 77s and had no problem. My old 1:12 twist M 16 would shoot up to 55 grain great but anything heavier it would not...tumble city.

I would just order any good quality barrel like listed above and have almost any good gunsmith put it on...not rocket science to put one on. Many local gunsmiths can do the job.

Hope this helps.

RLTW,

Scott

Even a 1-9 is a compromise for 55s. If you really plan to shoot 55s then go with a 1-10 or 1-12. I forget which is actually the best for that weight bullet (google is your friend). At closer ranges any barrel will shoot any bullet. The further out you go the more difference you will see.

Yankee dog

1:8". Now call Jim at Firebird and order a Lothar-Walthar. :closedeyes:

I've run stainless 1:8" 's for several years now, and had excellent results with everything from 55's to 62's, 64's and 69's. I have no intention of changing any time soon.

If you have to have 20inches call Compass Lake Eng. for 1:8. They make it whatever length you want. Picked up a barrel from them 3 months ago for a change this winter. Gas tube, matched bolt, and stainless 18inch SPR profile was around 370ish shipped. Accuracy of them? I asked Teresa if this would group well at 400yrds. Her reply was "O yes at that close no problem" :surprise:

I'm running the Noveske 18" with 1/7 twist on mine and all I use is 55gr ammo. Not a problem with accuracy.

Gas block is a low profile pinned and can be had with rifle length or "intermediate length" gas systems.

Maybe I just need to let you shoot mine to see what the rifle can really do. Lord knows I can't shoot for crap anyway!

:)