Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus PT1911 vs. STI Spartan

Pro2AInPA

One of these two guns will be joining my collection. I was originally going to get a Lone Wolf G24 slide and barrel for my G17L frame to shoot .40 major, but I'm extremely comfortable reloading .45ACP and have never dealt with .40 so I'm going to run a 1911 in L-10 instead.

My budget is kind of limited which explains why I'm looking at these two particular lower cost models.

If I get the Taurus, I'll end up dropping another ~$100 on Dawson sights. The Spartan already comes with a black rear/FO front which is by far my favorite sight setup on a competition pistol. This alone might be what makes the decision for me.

Since I plan on shooting L-10, who makes the most reliable 10 round magazines?

Also, it'll need a magwell. Is the S&A the most popular option around here?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Spartan! STI's are top quality for a base gun. I would think Chip McCormick has some pretty good mags for the 1911. BTW, Have you looked at maybe a Springfield 1911?

From what I've seen, there's no way I'm going to get into a Springfield with a beavertail grip safety and FO sights for anywhere near the cost of the Spartan.

Of those 2 the STI. All the T in my neck of the woods keep shooting themselves apart.

10 rounders I see a lot Chip MC in use. You may have to trim the rubber for some magazine wells. Chip may just be the best bang for the buck.

I use wilson

Get the Spartan! STI's are top quality for a base gun. I would think Chip McCormick has some pretty good mags for the 1911. BTW, Have you looked at maybe a Springfield 1911?

From what I've seen, there's no way I'm going to get into a Springfield with a beavertail grip safety and FO sights for anywhere near the cost of the Spartan.

A mil spec Springfield will run you about $600-$800 (new), with a little work, it would be as good if not better than a Spartan. I have both STI's and Springfields, and like them both equally as well. Look for a used STI Trojan or used Springfield Trophy Match.

I just looked on Gunbroker, both the Spartan and Mil Spec list (from different sources) from $600-$800, with the the low price of the Spartan at $579.00 and the Mil Spec at $529.00.

Tripp Research makes 10-rd 40S&W magazines that will fit in the box, so your gun at least would be legal for both L-10 and Single Stack. [L-10 is so yesterday] You will not find a better magazine or better after purchase customer service than with Tripp.

You will have to call them and ask specifically for "system" mags that will fit in the box. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/index.html

40s do not work well with 45s.

Of those 2 the STI. All the T in my neck of the woods keep shooting themselves apart.

10 rounders I see a lot Chip MC in use. You may have to trim the rubber for some magazine wells. Chip may just be the best bang for the buck.

I use wilson

+1 on not getting the Taurus & for getting the McCormick mags. While they may be a fine weapon, I too have heard of several Taurus's disassembling themselves when being used. I guess they just aren't made to take the kind of use and abuse that an active shooter can give them. Again, for me, it's a toss up between the Sprindfield and the STI (especially for a base, low cost model). When it comes to high end production, I would feel the STI might edge out the Springfield.

Edited for clarity

Edited by GrumpyOne

I think the STI is a good pistol. The Taurus can be. I have a friend that has a Taurus that is a tack driver (perhaps he was lucky). Used Kimbers can be had reasonably also. One just sold on this forum the other day for $650 and had 4 wilson mags with it. As far as ten round .45 mags go, I am sold on Wilson Combat. I have had excellent service from them and they are guaranteed for life. There are several options for magwells too, I like the old S&A.

Hurley

Tripp Research makes 10-rd 40S&W magazines that will fit in the box, so your gun at least would be legal for both L-10 and Single Stack. [L-10 is so yesterday] You will not find a better magazine or better after purchase customer service than with Tripp.

You will have to call them and ask specifically for "system" mags that will fit in the box. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/index.html

40s do not work well with 45s.

Must stop skimming posts. My bad.

Hello: I have a Spartan and it is better built than the Taurus's that I have seen. I have over 5000 rounds through mine and it is still tight. I use Wilson 47D's for single stack and the Wilson 10 round mags for limited 10. I had some problems with the McCormick mags followers jamming in the pistol. It would move forward and then would not drop free. You can switch out the followers on the McCormicks but I never did. The only mods I did are grips, extended mag release,sear spring,recoil spring, mainspring and a S&A magwell. When I bought mine it was under $500 :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I have had both and the Taurus has some options that are ok but the Spartan is a better buy in my opinion. Nice trigger and sights. I put a S&A magwell on it and it really shot nice. Just a piece of skate tape on the front strap, different grips, the magwell and you're good to go.

Scott

I've been shooting a PT1911 for the last 14-15 months in IDPA. Firing, on average 300 - 400 rnds / month. When I added the S&A mag well I broke the seal of the ambi safety and it would not stay tight so I replaced it with a single sided safety. I also added the Dawson FO front and rear sights and Alumagrips. Otherwise it's bone stock, reliable and accurate if I do my part!!! :D

With this pistol, I finished 4 of 8 in CDP MM the MD State Championships (May 09), WON Tenn State CDP MM (Oct 09, no bump up) and WON GA State CDP MM (Oct 09,got bump up)! I put effort in to keep it reasonably clean and lightly lubed and use only FMJ ammo (factory or reloads through a Lee Factory crimp die) its highly reliable. Depending on ammo I use, I do start having issues if I don't clean it by ~500 - 600 rnds, normally try to clean it at ~300 rnds.

I've had many people comment on how accurate and reliable the gun has been. Many, many times I've seen other 1911's fail in a match (often due to poor ammo) or heard shooters grumble about other problems, but not me! :roflol:

Maybe some older models of Taurus firearms deserve to be bashed, but NOT the PT1911!

I think you'd be happy with either one.

I'd go with the Spartan. It's a solid gun at a fair price and they support USPSA extremely well....I won my class at an Area match and through the contingency program got a free 2011 frame (I may have had to pay something like $35...big deal) out of the deal...hard to beat that!

I somewhat doubt that the S&A is the most popular any longer, but quite a few folks are still using them. The SV magwell is really nice, but a bit pricey and a pain to install. The new Dawson ICE is worth a look (lots of people using them now). The other is the Techwell system with matching Alumagrips. Any of them will do the job, but the S&A has the smallest opening. On a perfect reload it won't matter, but the bigger wells can save a reload that's a bit off. The other thing is that the bigger models change how the grip feels and a lot of people prefer the way they position the bottom of your hand....I do, but you'll have to try and get your hands on guns with different setups to see what you like. R,

The Taurus is a good gun for the money, but for a competition pistol I would go with the STI. One of the biggest problems with the Taurus is that they decided to make a custom sight dovetail. About a year ago the only one who made sights to fit it was Heinie. Things may have changed since then.

I have had no experience with the Taurus so I will not comment on that. I have shot the the STI Trojan and Spartan. They were both great shooters..... The Trojan was a bit nicer, but for a great starter I would go with the Spartan. You could decide to keep it down the road and put some money into it or sell it and upgrade.

I owned a Spartan that Benny Hill built/owned and it was one of the best single stacks I've owned, especially for the money. Buy one, send it to Benny or Virgil Tripp for a little trigger work, etc.. and you'll have yourself one fine single stack.
Paul: Another pistol you should have kept :roflol: Thanks, Eric

The Taurus is a good gun for the money, but for a competition pistol I would go with the STI. One of the biggest problems with the Taurus is that they decided to make a custom sight dovetail. About a year ago the only one who made sights to fit it was Heinie. Things may have changed since then.

Dawson is now offering sights for the Taurus.

Of the two you listed, personally I'd go with the Spartan.

I'd also consider finding a gently used Kimber, pre-series-II, Clackamas or early Yonkers manufacture. I've seen the basic "Custom" model go for between 650-750 and often include extras like mags and holsters. I'd much rather have an early Kimber than either the Spartan or the PT-1911.

I owned a Spartan that Benny Hill built/owned and it was one of the best single stacks I've owned, especially for the money. Buy one, send it to Benny or Virgil Tripp for a little trigger work, etc.. and you'll have yourself one fine single stack.
Paul: Another pistol you should have kept :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I know :wacko: That rascal had an awesome trigger and was AMAZINGLY accurate. Maybe it's because Benny & Merlin shot it. ;) I've offered to buy it back several times, to no avail... :roflol:

I also agree with the other post that an early Kimber ranks right up there too.

Edited by baerburtchell

No comparison. The Taurus is a complete piece of junk compared to an STI.

Why do I get the feeling some people still think the Spartan is made by STI?

(Not that there's anything wrong with the Spartan, or most of the other Filipino pistols on the market.)