Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to shoot 3 gun and what should I expect

On the topic of Serpa holsters, there is a hot controversy on the topic of their use. Look it up and make up your own mind before you buy.

As one who has had a pistol squirt out of a holster when diving into prone (and this with a holster that works fine during somersaults), I can say crank on some friction if what you are using does not have real retention features.

Billski

Hot controversy WHERE?????????????????????

trapr

Some trainers and matches have banned their use because when you push the button to release the gun, it is possible for a tensed finger to slip into the trigger guard, hard enough to activate the trigger, and BOOM before clearing the holster.

Lee

Those same "trainers" are suggesting that people not flick their safety off until the gun is in front of them. Who on this forum does this? I know I don't. My safety is off before I even clear Kydex. The same goes for my Ghost holster in limited...safety is off before the gun even moves upwards.

I do agree the that the Serpa holster is unsafe for this reason, but for them to blame the shooter for flicking the safety off on a 1911 too early, I wonder what they're even teaching at that school.

Back on topic, I'm a big fan of multi-gun but until the rules become more standard, people will rebel and run their own matches.

I have no experience with the Serpta at all. But, no I dont take my safety off until the gun is out in front of me. Most of the guys I know who do alot of 3 gun have gone from open front rigs to regular Blade-tech type holsters. None of them have said anything about dropping guns. I do however crank down ALOT more one the adjustment screws of mine.

I do agree the that the Serpa holster is unsafe for this reason, but for them to blame the shooter for flicking the safety off on a 1911 too early....

For Glock-ish guns, the safety is disengaged by pulling the trigger. Getting the finger in the trigger guard prematurely is a problem. While good training will prevent problems, I understand instructors and match directors wanting to do as much as possible not to test their liability insurance.

Anyway, for 3-gun, I have used a Fobus which cost about $22. Just a simple click, not much adjustment, but I can jump and roll some and the guns stay in. The Safariland 012 gets used for pistol matches where crawling, running, bouncing, etc., are uncommon.

The Fobus is getting worn so I may replace it soon. Maybe a Fobus, maybe Blade-tech, I will see.

Lee

I use a Serpa often, but not for competition. I don't understand the controversy. As you draw the finger is alongside the frame, where it should be. Never heard of an accident caused by a Serpa.

The main reason I don't use them for competition is that the sight channel is too shallow for my Dawson front sights. Other than that I think it would be a great multigun holster, if you practice enough to hit the release button every time.

Hot controversy WHERE?????????????????????

trapr

Some trainers and matches have banned their use because when you push the button to release the gun, it is possible for a tensed finger to slip into the trigger guard, hard enough to activate the trigger, and BOOM before clearing the holster.

Lee

Those same "trainers" are suggesting that people not flick their safety off until the gun is in front of them. Who on this forum does this? I know I don't. My safety is off before I even clear Kydex. The same goes for my Ghost holster in limited...safety is off before the gun even moves upwards.

I do agree the that the Serpa holster is unsafe for this reason, but for them to blame the shooter for flicking the safety off on a 1911 too early, I wonder what they're even teaching at that school.

Back on topic, I'm a big fan of multi-gun but until the rules become more standard, people will rebel and run their own matches.

I DON'T WANT TO EVER RO YOU OR EVEN BE IN YOUR SQUAD!!!!!

The notion that a Sherpa holster CAUSES safety problems is just rediculous. sounds like a witch hunt...A shooter can have a premature firing (AD) with ANY hoster, positive retension or not.

Flick the thumb safety off before presentation? Sure, but DON'T APPLY PRESSURE TO THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU HAVE A SIGHT PICTURE!

using a Glock? same rule!

Has NOTHING to do with the brand of holster or wheither it has a positive retension lever or button...

jj

Now back to your regular (3G) programming...

As suggested at your first match check out what everyone is shooting and ask questions...take your time when looking at the guns though...on first glance they may all look alike...mostly black and style ABC rifle and style XYZ shotguns...it is the details that I look for i.e. comps, optics, triggers, etc...not necessarily the "brand" of receivers (plenty of threads on those by searching).

Be careful.

Re-read Tim's post +1

From another "Newbie" to the sport, I would also like to say welcome! As I read all of the replies to your question I would echo much of the sage advice offered. The folks on this forum are amazingly helpful and caring, so fire away with questions. Also, there are tons of things to learn from other posts.

A couple of things I have learned in my brief 2.5 years shooting 3-Gun:

1. Make friends with those who offer sage advice and are doing well in the sport. They can offer the advice it would take a while for you to discover on your own. Look at what they shoot and ask why.

2. The old saying, "The most dangerous man is the guy with only one gun," is super true from what I have seen. Watch the shooters who really know their equipment in and out and in all situations. You can learn so much from them.

3. There is a HUGE temptation to get the newest toy, add a new piece of kit or buy the thing that will make you faster. As in #2 and in the posts above, get quality stuff when you can afford it then get to know it well. I started out with a base AR, Glock 22 and an 820 and have made small modifications as I have gone along. I am just about to graduate to a semi-auto shotgun.

4. Matches - This has not been mentioned yet, so I will say a brief bit about it. There seems to me to be two different "types" of matches for 3-Gun. Those at a traditional range in bays and those on lots of land that take advantage of distance, elevation, vegetation, etc. Both have positives, but know to prepare for them differently. For example, at a match in traditional bays will usually have high target/round counts close-in that require you to shoot fast. The type of match that is on a large piece of land will usually require you to move, so being in shape is advantageous. Also, this type of match will have you shoot at distances past 100yards. (There are obviously a long list of other differences, but I don't want to bore anyone.) I love both types and hope you can find exposure to both as well.

5. Last thing I have to contribute is to echo the comments concerning practice. The forum on skills and drills is a great one. Practice everything including loading, dry fire, moving and shooting, shooting in all kinds of crazy positions, shooting with a pseudo disability, etc. I subscribe to the philosophy that you should practice like you play and have recently invested in 22LR conversions for rifle and handgun, which allows me to shoot more (See! THE $$$ THING AGAIN!).

Good luck! Enjoy it! I look forward to hearing your experiences!

Cheers,

Kyle

I am wanting to start shooting 3 gun everything I see on the internet is very vaige about what to expect I have no idea what to expect at this type of shoot. I have a vast experience of shooting. Any info would be great.

• 1 month later...

I can't agree more with the above being said. You will need some elbow and knee pads! The ground is not smooth and rock free.

I have just recently found out that me and the shotgun I was using were not getting along very well. This was after many practice sessions and about 4 matches. An semi auto shotgun is better in most cases, especially when shooting prone.

I will make this point again, MAKE SURE ALL YOUR GUNS RUN. try several different types of ammo and if you find a certian round that your gun likes over another, stay with it. You be able to make your hits better.

Gear:

Pistol: A retention level 1 or 2, the serpa are great for pistol. make sure you have enough pouches on your belt that you do not run out during a stage.

Rifle: I would suggest that you start off with magpul mag for you AR, they are easier to take apart and get the sand or dirt out of than the metal mags. Just recently found this out as well.

Shotgun: arm bands, bandolers,side saddle holders or belt shell holders will all work! It is more of a preference for each person.

Edited by B_Ayers

I didn't see this.

If you are going to run a tublar shot gun learn and practice loading 3 or 4 shells at a time. You overall results will be most affected by your ability to load your shot gun. A poor choice in holster will cost you 1/2 second but on a 32 round shot gun stage you could lose 45 seconds to reloading if your not proficient at it. Also practice loading just one from a dry gun, for those times when you fall just one short.

It is a little more physically demanding than the average pistol match but you have so much fun you don't really notice till the next day.

I am wanting to start shooting 3 gun everything I see on the internet is very vaige about what to expect I have no idea what to expect at this type of shoot. I have a vast experience of shooting. Any info would be great.

Tyro shooter (Tim) made a great post. I would only add that you need to be prepared to wait...and wait..shoot...wait...wait...wait some more...wait...shoot...wait...you get the idea :rolleyes:

Have fun but seriously look into doing hard street drugs it will be much cheaper in the long run. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

Expect some of the wildest multi-gun stages and get ready to spend 3 times the money. :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

My guess on the serpa would be they are pushing the button with the tip of their finger while drawingso when it comes out the finger is alaredy pushing and goes right in the trigger guard. If they used the holser correctly and slid the finger down the side over the button and pulled it out the finger would be extended and would be on the gun right where it should be on the frame above the trigger guard and extended so its not slipping in the guard.

I have two of the serpa's holsters.

The issue is not equipment, but shooter error.

When the retention button is pushed, your are pulling up on the gun, the trigger is above the squeeze device in the holster.

The retention device is between the trigger and the front of the trigger guard.

If you draw correctly out of the holster, then there no way for the gun to go off right out of the holster... I

If you are drawing and finger not extended, I hope the people behind the shooter can dive fast behind a truck or an extra barricade...... :surprise: