Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Or Why Did You Pick?

Jay Boggs

Hello all, I am new to the forum but I know a couple of your faces (Hi Flex). I have decided that one of the many things that is holding me back is that I am always changing pistols from match to match. I go from shooting a 1911 single stack one month to a Production type the next. So for 2004 I am going to decide on one division, Production or Limited 10 in USPSA and stick with it. Oh yea I also try to shoot NRA action pistol type matches a couple of times a year for fun. :wacko:

Now with my question, why or how did you come to the division you are shooting in? or are some of you just nuts like me and bounce around?

Thanks

Jay

Jay

It's all about WHY you shoot, not what you shoot.

If you shoot for the friendship, it doesn't matter. If you shoot to win, pick what you shoot best at this time and dedicate the entire year to doing just that; see how far you can go.

I started out shooting Open division a LONG time ago (1986). Back then, I liked "gadget" type guns with lots of stuff attached to 'em.

Somewhere aroung 1994 I got the urge to shoot iron sight guns again. It really had a lot to do with cost. My Open gun was plain worn out and I didn't want to spend a ton of money building a new one. One day at practice, it finally broke. I sent it out to get it fixed and while I waited...I dug my old Colt Gold Cup from the safe and started shooting Limited Division. I've never owned/shot an Open Gun since. ;)

I just love shooting stock type iron sight guns. I plan to shoot a bit of Revolver division this summer. Wheelguns are my first love...from way back in my Action Pistol days. :wub:

My suggestion, find what "makes you happy" and do it. Forget about having the latest-greatest whatever....shoot what you like in whatever division you like. Have a bit of fun with it...otherwise shooting becomes WORK and we all work a bit too much as it is. ;)

Great question.

I started in Limited-10 with a .45 single stack. At one of the first matches I went to a super nice fellow shooter showed me his STI, demonstrated that with a magwell the reloads were easier, plus the mags held 18 rounds or so. Fish on! For a while I shot my STI in L-10, because that was the only division I had a classification in, but I was able to shoot a special and get classified in Limited.

Limited is where I'll stay for quite a while. At the matches I shoot, Limited and open draw the most shooters, and some of the toughest competition. I can't really get too excited about open, because the guns just seem...silly. I say this, but I was on the verge of calling PaulW and making an offer on his open gun when he posted it for sale. The only thing that stopped me was the desire to make Master in Limited before I try anything else. I'm enough of a gun nut/gear freak that I'm sure I'll succumb to open at some point.

Revolver, production, and L-10...lets just say that I'd rather place 10th out of a hundred shooters than first against ten.

I decided to go into the division that "handicaps" you most (besides revolver) because I feel once I become proficient at that, the other divisions will come easier.

John, instead of saying you just placed 1st out of 10, try doing what I do...Don't look at division results, use the aggregate results.

To me, it's no longer a big deal to win production or L10...I want to get HOA in a match shooting Production...at local matches at least. B)

I started in Production, but when I saw the local big dawgs hosing away with the high caps I jumped to limited as fast as I could. If I knew how much I was going to spend I probably would have went right for Open, but that seemed way too expensive at the time.

My advise to me now would be to buy a used S_I open gun and try and wear it out. If I didn't like the game I could get my money back out of it and I think you get to the fun ' hoser' stuff faster with the dot.

I'm happy in limited now. If I ever get one of those little white cards with an M on it I'll try another division.

Jay,

Welcome to the BE Forums.

If the choices you've given yourself are Limited 10 or Production, the primary question is whether you prefer to shoot a single-action-only pistol (L10) or not (Production). In the USA, both divisions limit your magazine capacity to 10 rounds. The only other difference is equipment position - L10 is freestyle, Production is not.

Personally, I don't care about the size of the field in my chosen division, or the prizes, or the trophies. I shoot to improve my gun handling skills with the gun of my choice (a Glock 21 in Production Division), and I shoot for the enjoyment.

My personal IPSC motto is "I came for the shooting, but I stayed because of the people". Good luck with your decision.

I kinda fell into Limited after determining I didn't like my SA TRP... I traded it for a Glock 35 set up for Limited play.

I'm now onto STIs (and working out the bugs), but still in Limited. The capacity is fun and I plan stick with it until I'm bored or get the bug for a foo-foo blaster.

The 10-round limit stuff doesn't interest me... YMMV.

Production will be much cheaper if you don't reload... it's cheaper even if you do. Figure out which gun you want to dedicate yourself to dryfiring and have at it!

Hi Jay. Good to see you here.

Are you reloading or buying of the shelf?

If off the shelf...it would be hard for me to shoot anything other than 9mm because of the cost.

Shooting 9mm means minor power factor. Shooting Minor, better go with Production.

Hi Mr. Stevens :D Hi Flex.

Reloading? Yes so that is not a big issue, but I do not have a 9mm load where I want it yet.

Thanks for everyones input and please keep it coming.

What makes this tough for me is the fact that my heart is in the Production division (holsters, holster positions, sights, duty type guns ect.) but I keep coming back to the 1911.

Boy if these are the worst problems I am having I must be doing alright.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Welcome on board !

I choose IPSC PD (Production Division) because I like guns that are "basic". I do not want to spend tons of money on them (open / standard / limited) to have them tuned and equipped with all kinds of fancy stuff. Although I own two revolvers I wanted to shoot a pistol in IPSC, so no revolver division as well.

Oh BTW: here in Europe we don't have a "10 shot in the mag" limit, so I can top off my Glock to 18 shot at the start of the COF ;)

I want to become the best I can be with my standard Glock 17. I want to be able to pick up any "normal" gun and do well with it, not just with a perfectly tuned race monster.

Disclaimer: this is just my personal preference and not meant as a judgement of other peoples' performance or interests. Everyone must (and can !) decide for him/herself what they like.

Have fun !

I started shooting a box stock SIG P-226 in what we called "Tactical" division at the time. Switched to a Glock 17L after about six months and took that to a USPSA B classification by the end of my first year shooting minor against the compensated guns in open division at my local club (this was mid 1989 just before optics and hi-caps took off). Ordered me a souper as soon as I got my B card and have shot in open ever since. I took a hiatus from 1992 to 2000 and mostly shoot three gun now, but still prefer open division. Interesting thing is that my latest open pistol is my original 17L re-iterated in 9x21 with all the modern bells & whistles available.

Regards,

Hi Jay welcome aboard. I hope you'll enjoy surfing these boards as much as the other forum members do. It's a great place and I think it will answer a LOT of questions you might have.

I chose revolver class. Why? Because I really wanted to shoot IPSC, and I had no gun for that. Revolver division was in it's first year and a guy I knew sold his S&W 625. I bought it for $200 with a bunch of clips and a home made speed holster. Thought it was the cheapest way into IPSC shooting. Now, two years later, I still love shooting the same gun. Revolver class is great. It's not for everyone though. Most people don't like to work that hard ;) I really like it, because it's so intense. You get more trigger time than the other guys, have to be very creative in planning and strategies and everything is scored Virginia ;) You're always doing something, shooting or reloading. Disadvantage is that there are very few people shooting wheelguns in this game. The division is steadily growing though. I think about ten people will be shooting it worldwide in 2024 :P

I shoot L-10 with a Kimber single stack. I've started shooting an extra classifier at local matches using a CZ-75 in production. I bought both guns originally thinking I would use them in IDPA, but there aren't any IDPA clubs near New Orleans (why not?).

Of course I've thought about getting a limited or open blaster, and trying that out. Right now the best reason I can think of to get a limited gun is that there is more competition (or at least more competitors) there. But L-10 seems to be growing in popularity, and I seem to be improving with my Kimber, so I'll probably just stick with that.

I think occasional cross-training with a different gun is worthwhile though...it forces you to notice things you might be taking for granted...like having to change your draw stroke because of the different holster position. As long as you spend most of your time with the preferred gun, and get your dry fire practice in, you oughta be OK, I think.

If you use a kydex holster in L-10, it really won't be much of a handicap compared to a race holster, so if you prefer the 1911, stick with it! (Of course, I broke down and bought a CR Speed rig... :rolleyes: )

DogmaDog

I started out with a Glock 19 because it was all I had at the time (2000). The IPSC match I started with in Virginia had only "Open" and "Standard" divisions so I was scored along with the Major S_Is in Standard division. Besides the low scores (which I did not like) I constantly heard "get a real gun" or "plastic is junk - not including plastic S-I grip frames of course!" or "the only real gun is a 1911! (except for the 2011 of course!)". So I fell for it and bought an STI Edge. And an SV open gun. And all the crap that goes with them. Money would have been better spent on ammo and match fees.

Open and limited are OK, but they are just different divisions, nothing more. Ignore your overall score & shoot what you want. Personally, I have really enjoyed Production with a borrowed CZ-75B; since it was borrowed, I used the old minimal leather Dillon CLS or belt slide for the Glock 19 (it sorta fits, its safe, and it does not mar the finish like Kydex) and uncle mikes mag pouches on an old leather belt. This whole rig would be about $400 compared to God-knows how much for the S_Is. Again, shoot what you want. If people give you crap for not shooting Open or Limited or for shooting minor, just ignore them. Better yet, strive to beat them with "inferior" equipment.

I have spent over 3 years changing from one division to another. I have tinkered around in all five divisions. It's time to pick one and practice. Where did I here that?

My vision just sucks so I am going to settle on Open. If I could still see, I would either make a big push in Limited with an S_I or shoot Production. Production is a great division because it is inexpensive to get started in and cheap to shoot with a 9mm. The minor scoring will darn sure make you look at your sights.

I shoot Standard, with a moderately tarted-up single-stack .45.

Why? Because I like having another excuse to shoot accurized 1911s. I shoot that style and frame size of pistol better than any other centerfire auto I've ever owned or borrowed.

I have an excellent .357 revolver that I adore, and if its crane were modern and swung out enough to accomodate speedloaders, I might be shooting Revolver class. But it's from the age of dump pouches, older than I am.

If IPSC was still one big divisionless division, with an optics-&-comps equipment race going on, I'd still be shooting informal outlaw stuff with one or two others at my club. I have no interest in compensators and optical sights on my pistols, and, outside of military service pistol matches, box-stock double-stacks leave me cold. (The shooters who do choose these, however, can eat at my table any day. Strictly a blondes vs brunettes issue.)

I started out with a single stack 1911 because that's all my dad and I had. There weren't any divisions then, but only a few people had compensators, so it wasn't a big deal. We switched to open by buying a drop-in 2-port barrel and comp kit. Then, we added a scope mount and Pro-point to the .45. I basically won a 50% off deal from a name gunsmith, so we had him build a tricked out .38 super. I think even at this point they didn't have divisions, or they were very new if around at all. I basically stayed in open division to run with the big dawgs. Being that I'm busy in grad school, I don't get to shoot as much.

However, when I get back into it, I think I'll probably leave Open Division for Limited or Limited 10. Open has gotten kind of boring to me for some reason. I'm starting to get pretty interested in the ISSF international/olympic type shooting, which is all iron sights, so maybe that's why.

I also think the proliferation of hi-caps are making IPSC boring. I don't see very many thinking stages anymore, nor do I see very many challenging shots. Just a bunch of up close, hoser stuff. I think most people would just poop a brick if I were to show 'em a stage that started with a couple 50 yard poppers.

Flex,

Your right, when I get to visit Circleville "great club" I shoot only Production. At my home range I shoot mostly Limited 10 :wacko:

The grip angle is part of it but mostly the lack of thickness (I have small stubby hands). I also teach defensive type shooting with a 1911.

For all those who contributed to this post, Thanks. I have decided to shoot Production in 2004.

"Pick one and Practice?" I think I read that here somewhere B)

Thanks

Jay