Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New or Used home protection pistol?

flack jacket

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend get into shooting and really interested in learning to shoot. He wants to protect his home and shop.

He has limited budget. Less than $400

My question to all of you.

Used?

Inexpensive new?

Revolver?

At first thought, 9mm and Used police trade in. G17, SW 5906 simply because you can get high quality pistols at great price, only difference is used.

As for new Pistols, I have looked at SW Sigma 9, Hi Point 9mm, EAA EZ9mm..

Thanks

Ed

I recently bought a used G22 40 cal police trade-in for $425. It came with 2 10 round mas, 1 15 round mag and very bright night sights. I have no hesitation about buying a used Glock since they rarely have problems and I can repair any problem (outside ot the frame, barrel, slide) easily and inexpensively.

The S&W sigmas aren't bad for the price either. A new shooter at our local matches has one and shoots very accurately with it.

maybe a shotgun would be best for his specific needs...fits the budget as well....

he could get that for his immediate use....then a nice pistol down the road?

Edited by AriM

Strictly on the subject of home defense... A used shotgun is:

1. easy to find

2. relatively inexpensive

3. easy to learn to shoot

4. intimidating

As to "getting into shooting", start at the other end - get some idea of what kind of shooting he wants to do and find a gun to suit.

Thanks for all the input!

I know it isn't a defensive forum, but I'm USPSA/ IPSC shooter by heart and value input here at Maku mozo.. simply because all you guys shoot, not just talk about guns.

Unfortunately, some other forums lean too much to tactics or tacticool ( oh gotta have HK USP or yada yada yada)..... I'm looking for input from shooters that have sent thousands of rounds down range in a practical/ competition sense. ... I'm sure you guys follow what I mean....

His question really stumped me, especially i've been exposed to $2500 race guns and the like. My home gear are 92FS and Sig 228, even those are out of price range. Used G17 is looking at top of list so far......

Edited by flack jacket

This really isn't a defensive shooting forum, but a good all around pistol in 9mm, in the price range mentioned (or a bit above) would be a used G17.

+1

You can find slightly used G17 and G22's all day long for under $450. If you look hard enough you can get them for $400. Yo can use them for home defense and as starter guns for the competitive shooting sports too.

Edited by Duane Thomas

I vote used Glock also. It is an outstanding defensive pistol, easy to operate, and reliable as they come. Plus, it would be easy for the wife and even kids to operate should that situation arise. Parts are cheap, mags are plentiful, and there are holsters/accessories galore should he want to shoot USPSA/IDPA.

Agree that a used Glock 17 or 22 is a great choice. Here's a link to one I've been recommending to friends on summitgunbroker:

Glock 22s

Purely from the standpoint of cheap functional utility gun, also consider a used revolver. A quick check of gunbroker and I found this:

Ruger Security Six

At the time of this writing, it is going for $280. These rugers are tough as nails (maybe tougher) and keep good timing even through hard use. It lacks the refinement of a Smith but it matters little at this price point. NOT a competition gun by any means but a great cheap defensive tool.

ETA my first handgun (Dad helped me buy it in '83 at age 15) was a Ruger Security Six. I put over 20,000 trouble free rounds through it before I traded it to a friend for another gun (big mistake, should never have traded). ZERO problems, no broken or worn parts. Replaced some internal springs with lightened ones, did a simple polish job on the internals and lubed the guts with #2 red tacky grease, and that trigger was actually pretty nice. I used it in some local plate matches and did well with it. Only problem I had was the crap I got from the Smith guys who always made fun of my "anvil posing as a gun."

Edited by big_kahuna

If they're willing to do a little bit of practice and really learn how to operate the gun, I can't see anything better than the police trade-in G17 you mention. It's simple, reliable, parts are easy to get, mags are cheap and readily available, and if he ever decided he doesn't like it, he'll have no trouble selling/trading it for something different.

For someone who wants to put next to zero effort into the process I'd say a decent revolver.

It's kind of hard to make a case against a used Glock: the Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver of the late 20th/early 21st Century, in that they're so damn common as police guns that you can find huge numbers of used examples, often very lightly used police trade-ins, for a fraction of what a new gun would cost. I'd go for a Glock 17 over the 22 simply because of the ammo affordability question. (Of course I'd go for a 9mm over a .40 just about anytime, but that's my own prejudice.)

New to shooting/firearms? His immediate need is self defense? My vote is for a .357 revolver. Train him with .38's to start. No complicated manual of arms to learn/remember, just sight picture, trigger.

Revolver and Glock are both good choices.

For someone who is going to buy the gun and put it in the drawer and forget about it til it is needed (an approach I am not recommending, but that is popular) the revolver is the simplest, safest and easiest system to teach.

For someone willing to put in a little training time, or that will want to shoot regularly, a Glock 9mm is hard to beat. Cheaper training ammo, good self defense rounds, one trigger pull to learn and reliability second only to the revolver previously mentioned.

You mentioned a 5906 in your first post. I worked with a couple of guys a long time ago that carried and loved those pistols. I don't recall a bunch of malfunctions out of them either. The stainless will still have a pretty good finish on a used pistol. Of course this is a little more complicated system to teach. The safety and heavy first trigger pull MIGHT be good for a beginning shooter depending on the situation.

I'm not sure I'm really seeing the advantage in simplicity of operation for the revolver over the Glock.

Revolver: load gun (open cylinder, insert cartridges, close cylinder). In use: point gun, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Glock: Load gun (insert magazine, rack slide, top off magazine if desired). In use: point gun, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, it seems to me. The only differences being the Glock 17 holds, oh, three times as much ammo and has shorter, lighter, more accuracy conducive trigger pulls, of course.

I'll be the odd one out...

You mentioned a 5906. I like a 2nd/3rd gen S&W for someone not too familiar with guns. I like the idea of the manual safety and the long, DA pull for that first shot. I went that route with a 469 until I was comfortable enough to keep my finger off the trigger of an M&P. Of course, I did have to replace all of the springs in my aging gun...

Since it really is the indian and not the arrow I am going to have to vote for a decent used wheelgun. Spend the $250-300 on the gun and the rest on ammo. Then get him to the range and show him how to use it. If you are not well versed in the ways of the wheel, I'll bet you can find someone at your club who is who would be happy to start him on the path.

How much you spend on the tool matters not if you don't know how to use it.

Just my opinion. :cheers:

I'll be the odd one out...

You mentioned a 5906. I like a 2nd/3rd gen S&W for someone not too familiar with guns. I like the idea of the manual safety and the long, DA pull for that first shot. I went that route with a 469 until I was comfortable enough to keep my finger off the trigger of an M&P. Of course, I did have to replace all of the springs in my aging gun...

your not so odd :roflol:

I love the 3rd gen smiths, I've been carrying one for nearly 20 years. in addition to the above, they also have a mag disconnect, which I like for a home defense gun. you can keep a round in the chamber and the mag out, especially useful if you got kid around.

I'm not sure I'm really seeing the advantage in simplicity of operation for the revolver over the Glock.

Revolver: load gun (open cylinder, insert cartridges, close cylinder). In use: point gun, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Glock: Load gun (insert magazine, rack slide, top off magazine if desired). In use: point gun, pull trigger, repeat as necessary.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, it seems to me. The only differences being the Glock 17 holds, oh, three times as much ammo and has shorter, lighter, more accuracy conducive trigger pulls, of course.

I've seen plenty of folks that are totally non-shooters get started. They can look at a revolver and pretty much figure out or see how everything works. Hand those same people an automatic and a few get it quickly, but most seem to require having pretty much everything explained. Just adding a mag release and slide stop lever, combined with the fact that they can't see the chamber seems to flip some sort of switch that all of a sudden makes it "complicated". That's why I wouldn't suggest something like the Smith mentioned earlier....OMG, throw a safety/decocker in and we've added what seems like an hour to the time it takes to go over basic operation :surprise: ....and usually a few reminders after that. R,