Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill times

GMyers

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a rather nasty bug of some kind, but I'm going to drop by the range for a quick 100. I'll shoot this a couple times and report back. I've been shooting most all my drills from 25yds for some time, so it will be good to see where I am up close. I did do some 10yd draws, hands at sides, yesterday to see where I was with them. .95-1 were the comfort zone and .74 was the lowest with an A. The batteries are dead on my ears, so I could be losing a tick there.

Anyway... back in a few with the results.

Jake and Others

I had this theory the other day thinking about this. Is 1.25 doable. If you shoot 5 .15 splits then you have .75 seconds total there leaving .5 for draw. Now if you can get this down to .10 splits you end up with .5 leaving a .75 for the draw. I am thinking a medium ground may be found that it becomes doable. No I have not done it, but just debating it at this point.

My 10 yard Bill Drills (when I was doing them) usually ran between 1.7 and 2.0 within all iron sighted divisions except revolver. Platform didn't much matter. I have done a few in under 1.6 with my open blaster.

It's amazing how many shooters below Master class have Bill Drill times and transitions that smoke me like a cheap cigar. But my skill set has churned out a lot of classifiers in the 85-100% range. Never have understood what that's all about. :blink:

Sorry but electronic hearing protection doesn't effect your performance. ;)

I disagree, but be that as it may.

First shots: I took two draws at the 10yd target. Cold in that I hadn't taken a shot. I hit the botton... The draw was 1.0 the splits were .12 with one/a couple lower and a freeze.

No BS time first go 1.68 -1

Ah hell. A cold -1 kicked ass for me and it was slightly/way above my ability cold. I shot a couple more after and froze the trigger every time.

61% shooter :blink:

Edited by JThompson

Dang I have a hard time getting under 2 on that one. I did it a few times in practice.

One thing I know for near certain is that I have had only one 0.12 split in all of my practice ,=I hit 0.13 two or three times

The only way I did that was with the targets spaced out.

Edited by AlamoShooter

possible learning points:

- if your hits are spread out, you grip and stance need work...to allow you to return the gun to target.

- if your hits favor a side of the target, then your index (point) is off

- slow splits...could be the above, or a combination of...requiring the shooter to muscle the gun back on target. could be the grip and stance need work.

- trigger freeze....trying, tension, over-gripping with the strong hand

- hits that are spread high and low...timing issue.

- splits that are all over the map...see all the above.

- slow draw...could be lots of things...often is a lazy weak-hand, not moving in syn with the strong hand.

- if your hits are spread out, you grip and stance need work...to allow you to return the gun to target.

- slow splits...could be the above, or a combination of...requiring the shooter to muscle the gun back on target. could be the grip and stance need work.

- slow draw...could be lots of things...often is a lazy weak-hand, not moving in syn with the strong hand.

Damn good info Flex

Way to much tension Flex. The hits were pretty tight, but the freeze and reset took me about one inch out of the A. I didn't push the draw, but I can push it to .8 reliable, so there are a couple tenths. Also, the trigger freeze was around .34 instead of .12. If I work those out I'm looking at a comfy cold 1.38. That's not to bad for how long I've been shooting action.

Edited by JThompson

First shots: I took two draws at the 10yd target. Cold in that I hadn't taken a shot. I hit the botton... The draw was 1.0 the splits were .12 with one/a couple lower and a freeze.

Ah hell. A cold -1 kicked ass for me and it was slightly/way above my ability cold. I shot a couple more after and froze the trigger every time.

COLD means without any warmup or practice draws at all...

COLD means without any warmup or practice draws at all...

I take a sight picture before I shoot any stage, so for me it's cold. I did not take 25 practice draws like I do before a match. IMO A draw, sight picture/check the dot before loading does not negate a "Cold" run.

Edited by JThompson

Not to be pedantic, but...did you actually shoot any Bill Drills?

I'm fascinated by these kinds of drills and understanding the difference between shooting it, maybe a couple times, and having it be a happy accident that all 6 shots are in the A, and shooting it so that there is zero doubt all 6 shots are in the A -- as if for every C, you'd get a tooth pulled.

Not to be pedantic, but...did you actually shoot any Bill Drills?

I'm fascinated by these kinds of drills and understanding the difference between shooting it, maybe a couple times, and having it be a happy accident that all 6 shots are in the A, and shooting it so that there is zero doubt all 6 shots are in the A -- as if for every C, you'd get a tooth pulled.

Well, if we are being pedantic.... I would have to take a few steps forward as BD are 7yds and not the 10 I was shooting from. I shot three times and recorded the first one. I didn't even look at the time on the others having froze the trigger hard. I've got the flu, so I didn't hang out long. I went back and shot a few plate racks at 25yds and called it a day.

What I was trying to do is shoot it as fast as I could cold and get good hits. I froze the trigger and tossed one an inch out. If I was to keep shooting it it would not have been a cold run... so it is what it is.

Edited by JThompson

PS For me cold also means one run,cold.

Hanging it out and ignoring C's D's and M's til I get a record or running 10 times in row is not what I am after. Not saying anybody does just that(but you can its a free country) its just what I believe is the best for long term achievement.

Edited by BSeevers

I think everyone would be well advised to read Flex's post about learning points. Let's not forget the Bill Drill is indeed a learning tool, skill development drill, and a diagnostic tool. Doing Bill Drills until you are ankle deep in brass doesn't do any good if the only goal is to see how fast one can go just for bragging rights.

BTW, for me cold means I strap the gun on and let it rip. No draws and the only "sight picture" is if I am shooting a dot.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I'm not sure where you’re getting this from... I haven't read where anyone is taking more than a few runs and I posted the first run. I don't run them often... I can think of other areas that help me more and don't burn up ammo at that rate.

If I was to shoot it over and over until I was lucky enough to get them all in the As at warp speed it would be in the area of 1.2. What would that prove though? It might be an ego boost, but wouldn't help me in the least on a stand and deliver cold.

I guess as you guys are concerned I'll never do anything cold then because I'm not going to strap on a gun and draw without at least taking a sight picture and adjusting my dot for the light conditions. The whole thing of "cold" for me means that I haven't fired a live round or made many draws dry before I make a run. I don't ever shoot a stage without a draw and sight picture, therefore I will keep my consistency and do the same in practice. If that's not what others do then so be it.

Also, when I was speaking about hearing protection several people said it doesn't matter that the battery is out. You try and hear the very beginning of the beep with double plugs in and see if you pick up that sound at the same point. I know my 40+ year old ears do not hear the "start" of the beep as well... esp having it mounted on an empty mag holder on my hip.

Edited by JThompson

OK Bill Drill 10 yards.....forgot to move the target in.

Open gun

1.68 Cold

1.39 Best

What I noticed in this drill is you can actually become to tense and over extend your draw slowing everything down.... first shot and splits. The best was being relaxed and actually thinking the gun was too close to my face :-)....my draw first shot went to high .7's low.8's and splits were in the .11-.14 range.

Martin

OK Bill Drill 10 yards.....forgot to move the target in.

Open gun

1.68 Cold

1.39 Best

What I noticed in this drill is you can actually become to tense and over extend your draw slowing everything down.... first shot and splits. The best was being relaxed and actually thinking the gun was too close to my face :-)....my draw first shot went to high .7's low.8's and splits were in the .11-.14 range.

Martin