Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 High Desert Classic at Albuquerque

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the open/close time of the range on Friday? I was planning on driving out on Friday morning and checking out the stages in the afternoon.

From the confirmation letter:

Shooters’ packets will be available for pick up between 3:00 and 5:30 on Friday afternoon June 18th (the range closes at 5:45 on Friday). You can look at the stages at that time, but please do not play with any of the activators.

The weather for the upcoming weekend looks to be hot, dry, and not much wind. For those of you who have not traveled to the High Desert before, here are some tips. Sunscreen is just as mandatory as eyes and ears. At a mile high elevation, this southwest sun WILL bake you in a heartbeat. Drink lot's of water, and seek the rare shade when you can. That doesn't mean hang out in the shade while the rest of your squad works, but it does mean moments of shade can go a long way towards a more competitive day. We live here; we respect El Sol.

Looking forward to a fun match. Stages will be tough. No mind games, but 10 challenging stages. El Sol just adds a little more challenge.

cya in the Great Southwest!

You guys always have a great Match with fantastic stages! 5+ years for Steve and I shooting the High Desert Classic. We really appreciate the work ALL of you put into this. Hope to be able to return for many years to come. Thanks to all of you...See ya Friday!

Match is closed for self-squadding but looks like 2 slots left.

The props for this years' match are quite clever and will test the skills and abilites of each competitior.

One might make you sea-sick and the guillotine can slice your competition down to a manageable size.

I want to give a big Thank You to "whatmeworry" for his tedious work and effort in building these awesome props! :cheers:

A giant thank you for all the great prizes that will be on the raffle table. I know that takes a lot to get all the folks on board and coordinated in time. Cya this weekend.

The weather for the upcoming weekend looks to be hot, dry, and not much wind. For those of you who have not traveled to the High Desert before, here are some tips. Sunscreen is just as mandatory as eyes and ears. At a mile high elevation, this southwest sun WILL bake you in a heartbeat. Drink lot's of water, and seek the rare shade when you can. That doesn't mean hang out in the shade while the rest of your squad works, but it does mean moments of shade can go a long way towards a more competitive day. We live here; we respect El Sol.

Looking forward to a fun match. Stages will be tough. No mind games, but 10 challenging stages. El Sol just adds a little more challenge.

cya in the Great Southwest!

Looking forward to it again. This year I have my version of the RGPSC receiver hitch umbrella mod! Also have a version for the gun wagon, just hope those high desert winds don't take the shade to Santa Fe!

David C

We're all set up and ready to go. Staff shoots tomorrow and Friday. Wind doesn't look to be an issue this year.

Bring your best game to this one, you'll need it. Challenging stages. The Polish Plate Rack, swinging steel hardcover in front of poppers, multiple lateral movements, a moving target, shooting thru tubes, a suspended boat deck, a giant rowboat you shoot from, and it goes on. No memory stages, a few hosers, some long courses. Design team out did themselves this year.

Hope all have fun.

One more suggestion on spending all day in the high desert sun.... Consider trying UA Heatgear longsleeve shirts. It may sound goofy to wear longsleeve shirts in the hot desert sun but I started doing it here in AZ and I am sold on the idea. I don't care for the compression shirts personally. The looser ones seem much more comfortable. Just a thought.

One more suggestion on spending all day in the high desert sun.... Consider trying UA Heatgear longsleeve shirts. It may sound goofy to wear longsleeve shirts in the hot desert sun but I started doing it here in AZ and I am sold on the idea. I don't care for the compression shirts personally. The looser ones seem much more comfortable. Just a thought.

Dont lie, I know you like your shirts tight;).....Anyways, I am already bummed I could not make it this year. You AZ boys and girls clean house and bring home some wood....Again! All work and no play makes John a dull boy(repeat).

What a great day at the match. Got in all 10 today thanks to the amazing staff. Should be a fun weekend. A couple of obvious pointers:

1) Tons of sunscreen and water

2) You can't drive down a forward-falling popper!

I think I learned both the hard way today...

What a great day at the match. Got in all 10 today thanks to the amazing staff. Should be a fun weekend. A couple of obvious pointers:

1) Tons of sunscreen and water

2) You can't drive down a forward-falling popper!

I think I learned both the hard way today...

For hot weather matches I take my chair that has a top on it, beats the heat, like an old fashion buggy top. Those darn forward falling poppers, every time I shoot them they just stand back up so I shoot them again and again, and they fall so slow.

On a big range like this, I thought it was really cool that people had umbrellas attached to trailer hitches. Very clever and a great way to get some shade. It almost made the 100+ degrees feel relaxing. Maybe tomorrow, we will have a cocktail girl to come by the fancy umbrellas.

On a big range like this, I thought it was really cool that people had umbrellas attached to trailer hitches. Very clever and a great way to get some shade. It almost made the 100+ degrees feel relaxing. Maybe tomorrow, we will have a cocktail girl to come by the fancy umbrellas.

Randy,

Great meeting you and your son today. Thanks for helping this weekend, it is greatly appreciated.

Don't hold your breath on the cocktail girl. :roflol:

CYa tomorrow,

Pat

What time does the shooting start tomorrow? The confirmation letter says shooter meeting at 8:30 Shooting starts at 9:00, but the squad matrix has shooting start at 8:00.

Looks like it going to be a great match. All the stages look awesome.

Hello: Day one is over and the weather was great :cheers: I had my C-More come loose and it was shooting 14" to the left. I guess I have a little more to learn about shooting open :surprise: It makes shooting steel alot harder :roflol: I removed all the screws and re Loc-tited them all. I will have to sight it in tomorrow. I guess I better build my other open pistol soon. The staff was wonderful today and my squad as well. Thanks, Eric

The match is over and as always it was a great match! The stages were challenging and the weather cooperated this year! My friend and business partner Eddie Garcia won top GM and overall again this year in Open. The fastest kid alive Nils won Limited, David Sevigny won production, Jim Bodkin won Limited 10, and I didn't hear the SS winner.

Awesome match. Very high quality stages, none of which could be taken for granted. Squad 1 was awesome to shoot with. Congrats to forum members G-ManBart, who took 1st A Open, and nm3gnr, who took 1st M Open and is the new NM Sectional Champ! cheers.gif

Complete results posted at USPSA Major Match Results while awards were being handed out! StageScore greatly simplifies and speeds up the process. The only real work was tracking down the reasons that 4 shooters showed up on the missing scoresheet report - they had left before shooting all stages, for various good reasons.

What a great match ! The stages and all the staff were AWESOME :bow:

Grats to all the Division and class winners :cheers:

I had a great time with squad 1, You guys and gals were the best.

The match is over and as always it was a great match! The stages were challenging and the weather cooperated this year! My friend and business partner Eddie Garcia won top GM and overall again this year in Open. The fastest kid alive Nils won Limited, David Sevigny won production, Jim Bodkin won Limited 10, and I didn't hear the SS winner.

SS winner is Robert Mullan.

Fantastic match. I can't thank the club and staff enough for putting on a great match. The crew definitely lived up to the reputation of being nice/friendly/helpful. I'll compile the videos i took and post soon. Congrats to the winners. I have to say it was a real pleasure to run the timer for everyone on Stage 3. Glad nobody was physically injured by the Guillotine. I think a few might have been emotionally injured by it (or the 2 targets hiding behind the walls!).