Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Quality 10rd 1911 .45 Mag

Guninhand

Hi folks,

Am looking for recommendations for best quality 10 rd 1911 .45 mags. I will use them in an Auto-Ordnance clone. I checked out the FAQ and the Wilson mags seem to get top rating, other than Tripp mags which I hadn't heard about till now.

What about the Colt factory 10 rounders? Nobody mentioned them. The only ones I know to stay away from for sure are the Ram Line, because I actually bought some second hand :angry: TIA

John

Another vote for the wilsons. I have had very good luck with them and if they do break or what ever I just call wilson and they send the parts with no BS ala, dillon type warranty.

I also second the motion for a kimber. I just got my fourth a, TLE RA and it shoots amazing out of the box. You could spend twice the amount I paid for my kimber on that auto ordanance clone and still not have as good of pistol.

Thanks for the input. I'm prepared to buy the Wilson mags but know where to get Colt factory 10 rd ones for $20, so if they had gotten a good word I'd have been tempted to try them, as Colt usually means quality.

I know the Auto-Ordnance is not so hot, but mine came with an improved factory trigger and target sights, and only cost $150, so I couldn't turn it down :) .

John

The power mags are great if all you want to shoot is ball.

I have had problems with them in several guns with hollowpoints, turns out the Wilsons feed the bullet in at a higher angle and work better for most.

All it takes is one misfeed to screw up a whole match, go Wilson. ;)

I generally don't care for wilson parts or his standard mags, but I just ordered more of his 10 round .45 mags. I've tried other brands, never found any that were as good. never seen a tripp cobra mag, I got a hard time justifying spending that much money on a single stack mag.

Thanks for the input. I'm prepared to buy the Wilson mags but know where to get Colt factory 10 rd ones for $20, so if they had gotten a good word I'd have been tempted to try them, as Colt usually means quality.

Bought a Colt recently? I thought the same thing until I bought one.

Use the Wilson or McCormick "Power" Mags. Either work flawlessly in my 1911.

Wilson mags.

Other premium mags may be as good, but you can't beat 100%.

Stay away from USA, Triple K, and other " bargain mags ".

Mec-gar is mid ground, they work fairly well, most of the time, until you really need them to work. good for practice on concrete, drop them with a few rounds left in the mag, and practice finding the spring and follower after.

Travis F.

The only real advantage I've seen of the Wilson over CMC PowerMags is that the Wilson 10-rd is easier to use with a gun with am extended magwell. With the CMC (or the Mitchell), you either have to remove some plastic from the little "boots" or really open your magwell. The Wilsons use a little thing on the front side, so you don't have to worry about it.

If you don't have add-on magwell, I don't see much advantage of the Wilson over CMC (as long as they both work with your gun).

I've have six or seven of the Mec-Gar ten rounders and they were 100% reliable. The problem is, the little nub on the back that is suppose to prevent overinsertion is too small. If you reload "vigorously" from slide lock, it's way too easy to shove it past the little nub and too far into the magwell. If they had the same feature as the Wilson mags on the front, they'd work a lot better. Of course, you could always just use Mec-Gars to start the stage, or when you know for certain you will be reloading with the slide forward.

I have used KIngs, Wilson, and CMC mags.

I do not care for the Kings-no removable base plate or followers. Only one out of two were to spec. I had to get my money back on the second one. King's has a great rep. for parts but their store needs some customer service training.

I use to like CMC alot because they were quite easy to clean during a match. But the big holes started interferring with my grips screws. There were jams and the mag sometime would not drop free. Yeah, I know I could have trimmed the screws. Bottom line: stopped using them.

I just use my Wilson mags. No problems.

BTW: Both Wilson and CMC have excellent customer service. Both have replaced mags without NO HASSLE!!!!

I'd say the Wilsons are worth a shot, I have had several and still like them very much, but they are not trouble free. Had one 8 round that liked to lock the gun open while flipping the last round backwards in the chamber.

10 rounders I have had more of a problem with, had several weird malfunctions with two different 1911s that I just couldn't figure out. The slide stop would come partially out and lock the gun up on the disassembly notch. Very amusing for the peanut gallery as I beat my gun open on the edge of a prop, but annoying nonetheless. I was plinking along at the range one day with a different gun when it started happening, realized it only happened last round with a Wilson 10 rd. Swapped out with the shop's el cheapo Norinco mag and the gun went to slidelock normally. My guess is the follower is a little rounded where it engages the slide stop and was pushing out as well as up.

So now my two plans are to put some split lip metal followers in Wilson mags or weld real overtravel stops onto some Chip mags. Seeing someone over-insert a CMC with a worn plastic base is just too painful.

Edit: If you do buy Wilsons, lose the cheesy basepad and put a steel one on. They survive much better and drop free much nicer. I had one plastic one break, it was enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson's get my vote also. Buy them from Wilson Dirrectly, and they will replace them if you have any problems down the road with breaking. I have had the little steel stop buttom break off on 2 mags in the last couple of years, and everytime Wilson sends me a new tube, no questions, and no charge.

Guy at our club is getting out of IPSC and sold me some, NEW in the Wilson bag, for only $9.00 each. :D