Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daniel Horner's 3-Gun winning rifle

rr4406pak

I saw this picture of Daniel's rifle on the Shooting Wire:

2011646.jpg

His rifle looks really long, not to mention that enormous [60 round?] magazine (Is that a Tripp Research?).

It looks like it has a 20" barrel and a JP Rifle length handguard.

Outside of that I can't tell.

Anyone know his setup?

Just curious.

Thanks.

PS: Congrats to him on winning the Multi-Gun Nats!

Thats way longer then a rifle lenth JP handguard but i want one like that !!

Most of the AMU's stuff is custom made by the "team" of AMU gunsmiths they have to

work with. Looks like they may welded a rifle and a carbine JP handguard together ??

Really, have you ever seen Horner shoot. Shhhhh dont tell anyone but I dont think he is

all human. Probably a titanium endo skeleton cybordyne model T1 with real flesh on the outside.

The Army is testing this new weapon on us civilian shooters because were so good. It

learns as it observes.

The rifle is Classified as well so stop asking about things you cant have !! :roflol:

Edited by P.Pres

That pic is the AMU built 30 Gremlin chambered rifle.Barrel was about 20" with a Rolling Thunder hanging on the end and it had a custom lenghtened JP handguard that seemed to be about 18" long. I got to finger bang it for a minute at A6 Multigun a month ago. Had a custom adjustable stock on it that I think Robbie Johnson designed. Mags are custom made for the Gremlin round and hold 42 rounds I think. Scope is the S&B Short Dot.

The Gremlin round is made by necking up a 6.5 Grendel case. Powder to drive the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip to 2625fps was a commercial variant not available to the public according to Daniel and Robbie.

That thing looks like a hunk of junk! I guess if you strap a Rolling Thunder comp on any rifle it will shoot like a dream ;)

I bet those guys wouldn't win a match if they had to run the off the shelf JP, DPMS, Firebird, Triangle, etc. AR's that the rest of us poor SOB's have to shoot. :roflol:

That thing looks like a hunk of junk! I guess if you strap a Rolling Thunder comp on any rifle it will shoot like a dream ;)

I bet those guys wouldn't win a match if they had to run the off the shelf JP, DPMS, Firebird, Triangle, etc. AR's that the rest of us poor SOB's have to shoot. :roflol:

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. Last year at the IPSC World Shoot in Bali, Daniel came in 4th in the World in Production - shooting a stock pistol he'd only had for 2 weeks, and shooting under IPSC rules (and he hadn't done that in over 3 years). Basically, I think I could shoot my open gun & Daniel could shoot a slingshot, and he would still kick my butt.

As I pointed out in another thread on this forum, if Daniel & Robby shot minor rifles (instead of the 'Gremlins') at the recent USPSA Multigun Nationals) the scores would have changed by 1% and the placement would not have changed at all.

Glad to see the :roflol: emoticon -- so I know you are not serious.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

That little punk!! I invented the super long JP handguard!! JP even called it the "Kel Gun." Just wait until I get to Ft. Benning ........

LChico, you are right about Daniel but not Robbie. The finicky Gremlin bit him on one stage costing him about 100 match points.

Daniel's .223 is a JP 20 inch barrel with a S&B Short Dot with a cat tail in a Larue Mount (if I remember correctly). He used to run a Magpul Precision rifle stock but now has a new one by Design Concepts, I think. He shoots Atlanta Arms 77 grain Sierra Match King load.

Kelly, Daniel DOESN'T run a cat tail! and Blackhills loads the ammo! AND you are still the king of the LOOOOONG handgurad! I would help you slap him around, but I doubt either of us can run rthat fast! :roflol: KurtM

Edited by kurtm

As I understand it, the further out your support hand is, the more stable the rifle's going to be, and also it gives you more real estate to rest the rifle on without pushing on the barrel and possibly affecting accuracy.

What is the purpose of having a handguard that long?

It streamlines the rifle and allows you to prop the handguard onto props that you might not be able to prop on with a shorter handguard. It keeps your barrrel from coming in contact with props. A barrel that contacts something else is prone to stringing in the direction of the contact. Not good.

Support hand positioning also allows you to drive the gun with more authoritah.

:cheers::cheers:

Kelly, Daniel DOESN'T run a cat tail! and Blackhills loads the ammo! AND you are still the king of the LOOOOONG handgurad! I would help you slap him around, but I doubt either of us can run rthat fast! :roflol: KurtM

you cannot run that fast going downhill, (even with the momentum/inertia factor). one guy on our squad calls him 'rubber man'. i saw him leap a target while doing a reload with a pistol going across a creek at rm3g. that was pre-army days. he has only become better. i can't run a stage like he does by just thinking about it.

1chota :cheers:

Edited by 1chota

What is the purpose of having a handguard that long?

It streamlines the rifle and allows you to prop the handguard onto props that you might not be able to prop on with a shorter handguard. It keeps your barrrel from coming in contact with props. A barrel that contacts something else is prone to stringing in the direction of the contact. Not good.

Support hand positioning also allows you to drive the gun with more authoritah.

Also insures that the barrel and bullet have a free path to the target. I've seen several tables and barrel tops splintered multiple times before the shooter even realized what was happening :surprise:

We will have to set some sort of trap for him.

You are right, Black Hills loads it. I'm pretty sure (99.9%) he has some sort of rapid scope power magnification changing device thingy on that Short Dot but I've been wrong before.

I wonder if Linda would look at the results again but instead of changing Daniel to minor and major, choose a 5th and 10th place person to see if it would have changed their position. I realize that Daniel is going to be where he's at do to his skills more than equipment but maybe for an average guy, equipment might make a bigger difference.