Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which recoil spring do you have in your XD?

Field

I run a #14 wolff in my xdm .40 with anything from 145 pf minor loads to 171 pf factory loads. I have had ONE failure to eject in over 4k rounds run through this gun with this spring. I was surprised but it works great. No failure to go into battery at all.

Glad this topic came up. I have an XD9 Tactical. Can I assume a 16lb Wolf 1911 recoil spring will cover most loads? No modifications (removing coils) needed? I shoot a 124g Berrys over 4g of W231. Don't have a Chrono. The gun cycles fine. About 2500 rounds with the stock spring so far. I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been running an XD 45 in CDP for several years and am now moving into ESP and some production. Right now I am still running the factory spring and shooting a 230gn RN over 4.5gn TiteGroup. I love the slow push.

But I have toyed with running a lighter spring but just never really looked into it. Are there any changes that need to be made to run a 1911 spring?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently installed a 14lb Wolf spring in my 9mm XD Tactical. There is a tad bit more recoil, but definitely less muzzle flip. I've only tested the new spring with about 75 rounds of 124 grain JHP bullets over 3.9 grains of Titegroup powder, but so far this combination seems to allow the gun to function properly.

I tend to drop the 2nd shot into the lower A zone on IPSC targets, and sometimes into the C zone at 10 yards and beyond, but the lighter spring seems to help me keep the 2nd shot in the upper A zone more consistently, and seems to help with faster split times between the 1st, and 2nd shot. I say "it seems" because it could be psychological. I need to work on letting the front site come back on target, and faster split times, no matter what gun, spring, loads, etc. But, it feels good, so I'll stay with a 14lb spring for a while. Heck, I might even try a spring lighter than 14lbs.

The only concern I have right now is with the gun staying in battery. Sometimes when drawing from the holster I push down on the gun a bit, and several times I have felt the slide move when drawing. It wasn't enough to cause a problem, and the slide quickly snapped back into place before the gun cleared the holster.

I'm wondering if a different striker spring will help the gun stay in battery. I read somewhere that someone had an issue with an M&P staying in battery with a lighter recoil spring, and a lighter striker spring took care of that problem.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion about this...lighter or heavier striker springs with lighter recoil springs?

I recently installed a 14lb Wolf spring in my 9mm XD Tactical. There is a tad bit more recoil, but definitely less muzzle flip. I've only tested the new spring with about 75 rounds of 124 grain JHP bullets over 3.9 grains of Titegroup powder, but so far this combination seems to allow the gun to function properly.

I tend to drop the 2nd shot into the lower A zone on IPSC targets, and sometimes into the C zone at 10 yards and beyond, but the lighter spring seems to help me keep the 2nd shot in the upper A zone more consistently, and seems to help with faster split times between the 1st, and 2nd shot. I say "it seems" because it could be psychological. I need to work on letting the front site come back on target, and faster split times, no matter what gun, spring, loads, etc. But, it feels good, so I'll stay with a 14lb spring for a while. Heck, I might even try a spring lighter than 14lbs.

The only concern I have right now is with the gun staying in battery. Sometimes when drawing from the holster I push down on the gun a bit, and several times I have felt the slide move when drawing. It wasn't enough to cause a problem, and the slide quickly snapped back into place before the gun cleared the holster.

I'm wondering if a different striker spring will help the gun stay in battery. I read somewhere that someone had an issue with an M&P staying in battery with a lighter recoil spring, and a lighter striker spring took care of that problem.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion about this...lighter or heavier striker springs with lighter recoil springs?

Once the striker is set and the striker spring is compressed, I would think that a heavier spring would aid in keeping the gun in battery more than a lighter one.

Edited by d_striker

Once the striker is set and the striker spring is compressed, I would think that a heavier spring would aid in keeping the gun in battery more than a lighter one.

After thinking about it some more, I think a reduced power striker spring may help keep it in battery

Edited by d_striker